Latest post Sun, Nov 5 2017 9:52 PM by Rinso Video. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 3 2017 10:33 AM

Selecting right format for video input

Hello

Current project involves Video input from new Canon EOS 77D Camera DIGI 7 HD AVI out

Clips sharp and clear on System Hard Drive and look fine on the time line monitor

Complete assembled video on time line looks great however export via default quick time formats looks very ordinary .

Suspect I am not selecing the right input - I m using the default DNXHD MXF 

Request advice for input settings in Avid 8.9.2 for the current Canon EOS series Digi 7 processor series..

thank you ..

"default output to Quick Time looks terrible and doesn't improve much experimenting in Squeeze 

i am doing something wrong I know help appreciated ..I expect the final should look as sharp and crisp as

the original clips from the camera - -  

• Fri, Nov 3 2017 10:58 AM In reply to

Re: Selecting right format for video input

I'm not sure what the "default" output to quicktime is?

Also viewing in the source or record monitor in composer is only a scaled version of the content so not suitable for quality assessment.

An external I/O and monitor is the only real test. You can use full screen in MC for a better idea but even then you have to be sure the fullscreen settings are correctly set and the monitor calibrated.

You mention video input. This could mean import or AMA link and transcode. (hopefully the latter)

If you aren't using an offline online workflow then you need to ensure your Avid resolution is suficient to retain the quality of the footage.

Depending on the framerate of the content the AVid DNx resolution number will vary but you need to be lookinmg at 175 or higher.

The "normal" export process would then be a Same As Source export of that media and then an external app to convert to delivery files (H264 or whatever)

You have to decide how to manage the level mapping and at which stage. MC will be working with "studio" levels which will show as raised blacks and supressed whites. So at some stage these need to be re-mapped to full range signal to produce a file that will play on desktop or web as "normal"

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Nov 4 2017 10:50 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge wrote the following post at 11-03-2017 8:58 PM:

You mention video input. This could mean import or AMA link and transcode. (hopefully the latter)

You mention AMA link and Transcoding -  

A link to a tutorial or such to expand on this woul be appreciated I .

The "normal" export process would then be a Same As Source export of that media and then an external app to convert to delivery files (H264 or whatever

Using Sorenson Squeeze 10 Pro to convert to delivery files (H264)  so that's ok 

thanks again appreciated ...

• Sun, Nov 5 2017 2:01 PM In reply to

Hi Rinso,

Depends a bit on your version, but I will assume MC 8.9.x.

Essentially, you have classic import, wich creates native Avid Mediafiles immediately, and there is linking, which means you point MC to any sources, without creating native Avid MediaFiles.

If you choose File->Input->Import Media, you will be using classic import.

If you choose File->Input->Source Browser, you can use the source browser to locate any sources you'd like MC to link to.

Classic import is mostly there for compatibility reasons, and in some cases there's still some validity to importing audio this way. Generally though, bringing in footage through the source browser would be the preferred (and faster) way.

After linking, you can still create native Avid MediaFiles. Even though this is a two-step process, it is still considerably faster than classic import.

If your sources are in a codec native to Avid MC (think DNxHD, ProRes if you're on Mac), you can select the linked clips in your bin and choose Clip->Consolidate/Transcode, and then choose to Consolidate, which means that MC re-wraps the source codec into an Avid MXF mediafile. This is with zero generation loss, as it's just a copy into a new wrapper.

If your sources are in a codec that is not native to Avid MC, then you can select the linked clips in your bin and choose Clip-Consolidate/Transcode, and then choose to Transcode, which means that MC will decode your source files and re-encode them to a (native) codec of your choosing.

My rule of thumb is that any footage you will work on for more than a day or two, you should consolidate or transcode, as the benefits of working with native Avid MXF MediaFiles outweigh the time you lose transcoding/consolidating.

Avid MC manages the MXF mediafiles, it is all a more robust way to work, and you will have simpler and faster renders and exports.

When you export a sequence that is in a single native codec, I consider it best practice to do a high res export from MC and use a third party encoding app (like Squeeze) to encode deliverables like H264's.

You can either use File->Ouput->AMA File Export and do an MXF Op1A export (this is only relevant if your third party encoding application supports this as a source) or File->Output->Export to File, choose Quicktime, and tick the Same-As-Source box (this generates a Quicktime movie that many if not all encoders will be able to use).

You may also want to read up on full swing or full range versus studio swing or legal range. This paper is geared more towards classic import and same-as-source QT export, but is still relevant.

Hope this helps.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 5 2017 9:52 PM In reply to

Hello Pat/Job and all

Confirming

More than helpfull and answers the question - I  need to work on it , yes MC 8.9. xxx 

and Squeeze Desktop 10 , I am using classic input following this advice will experiment a bit ...

thanks again

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller