Latest post Thu, Nov 9 2017 2:44 AM by tommix. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 1 2017 12:01 AM

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,085

MCF posts several error message inputting XAVC S

Now running 8.9.3

I reported awhile back that when importing multiple C300 MXF files even after YES TO ALL only one file imported. JUST NOTICED -- DESPITE YES TO ALL the transcoding message says 1 of 1, not 1 of 2. So no wonder only one is imported!

Decided to try with MP4 XAVC S 1080p files.

Tried IMPORT and got messages -- Can't Import. 

Now MCF offered to LINK and Consolidate/Transcode.

YES TO ALL >> message is 2 of 1   <<<< 2 of 1?? It should have been 1 of 2!  NEXT MESSAGE IS Transcode/Convert

All 3 go into the Bin as XAVC S which is the LINK step.

But just like with the C300, only 1 DNxHD clip goes into the Bin.

Even if answer Yes and then YES -- only first DNxHD clip goes into the Bin.

So Consolidate/Transcode is broken.

Now tried LINK import. Worked fine. Except one file that I changed its name--without MCF running--came into the Bin as the original name. HOW CAN MCF KNOW ITS ORIGINAL NAME?

But, they all came in.

Earlier I had problems such as the Error Messages and:

What's scary is that when, somehow, I got both in -- they HAD THE SAME NAME.

Even stranger -- at times the Bin would not show their names but would show the NAME before I renamed them. How would MCF find their original names while their new names were in the browser??

So if anyone from Avid is around ...

WIN 10, i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, GTX1080.

Steve Mullen

• Fri, Nov 3 2017 1:20 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,216
    • Points 41,610
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: MCF posts several error message inputting XAVC S

XAVC-S (in fact all XAVC formats) have a lot of metadata stored in the media. This includes the original clip name as generated by the camera. I can verify that linking to a renamed clip file links to the original clip name, not the renamed file name.

I can also verify that attempting to import and then choosing the link/consolidate instead does not work as you described. It links to all of the clips, but never stores the information except for the first clip linked (which is then consolidates). I searched through the media tool, and did not find the rest of the clips that were linked.

As for not being able to import the clips, this is by design. Not all media used by MC can be linked, nor can all media used by MC be imported.

As far as clips coming in with the same name, this is also by design. If you have a camera that resets clip names when you change cards (e.g. you have multiple clips called something like C00001.mp4, all of which were shot on different times and days) then they all come in as C00001.mp4.

I organize my media by project, and one bin for each day in the project to differentiate on import/link. If I have multiple cards on the same day, I create a separate bin for each card. Then I rename the clips to something more appropriate so I know what I'm looking at months later.

I'm going to push this one up to support as the import dialog is broken. I don't know if the name issue is by design or not. At the very least there needs to be an option to use the file name (IMHO).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Nov 9 2017 2:44 AM In reply to

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,085

Re: MCF posts several error message inputting XAVC S

"I can also verify that attempting to import and then choosing the link/consolidate instead does not work as you described. It links to all of the clips, but never stores the information except for the first clip linked (which is then consolidates)."

YES it links to all clips putting them in the Bin AND THEN it Transcodes the first clip. (It's not consolidating.) Then it removes the other Linked clips and leaves only the Transcoded clip in the Bin. Then it stops.

Totally repeatable.

"As for not being able to import the clips, this is by design. Not all media used by MC can be linked, nor can all media used by MC be imported."

Since MCF clearly can IMPORT the first clip succesfully, then MCF clearly can Import XAVC S.

If it can do it once then throwing up the message CAN'T IMPORT FORMAT before it does, in fact, Import can't be by any rational design.

Either MCF should say CAN'T and then not offer the option to Import (Transcode)--it's not consolidating--or it should continue to Import the other files after the first one. You can see the YES TO ALL looping count is wrong--not some codec issue. Moreover, the fact MCF then crashes shows this issue is not "by design."

In fact, if an editor had selected only one file and then responded YES rather than YES TO ALL she would be left puzzling about why MCF does what it says it can't do.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller