Latest post Sun, Nov 19 2017 9:33 PM by Marty. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 30 2017 4:59 PM

• Mbinnerup
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 30 2017
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

a tiny wishlist for future updates

Hi.

Been using Media Composer for a couple of years now and through the years I've accumulated some wishes and places where I think Avid could improve its product. These are tiny annoyances that I haven't been able to find a way to solve. So feel free to come with advice if you have a solution/workaround etc.

The first wish is the ability to have more than one audiotrack effect open at the same time. The loudness meter we use for monitoring is an audiotrack effect plugin, but since its not possible to have more than one audiotrack effect open at the same time monitoring and adjusting the other effects on the track can be quite annoying. So if you could force the effect suite window to stay open or open multiple effects at the same time, that would really be nice.

Another thing which would be helpful, is if you were able to bind the "adjust pan/vol in out" from the audio mixing tool to a keyboard shortcut (or any menu from the audio mixing tool for that matter). I've tried but I have so far been unsuccesful. I know theres shortcuts to control the rubberbands and the gain button directly on the timeline, but I think this would be a really neat feature.

The third thing is more colors to choose from in the clip color menu. Would be nice with a few more or an option to user define colors. We seem to run out of colors quite fast :) 

Lastly I would like to join the chorus of people asking for blend options. I know you've got some in the paint effect, but the just don't quite do it for me. I also know that people just buy the BCC key and blend unit, but I really wish it would be integrated as a standard effect in MC

I hope these are things and demands that resonates with other MC users.

(First post on the forum so I hope i posted in the correct place)

• Wed, Nov 1 2017 8:31 PM In reply to

Re: a tiny wishlist for future updates

All these requests "Resonate" with me.

+1

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 1 2017 11:31 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,250

+1

blend blend blend

ps I use macro software to do things like mixer menu items placed on a keyboard shortcuts, it REALLY HELPS.

(keyboard maestro on MAC) in my case.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13 MC 8.9.4 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 2 2017 12:20 AM In reply to

For blending I would much rather Avid negotiated with BM so all MC users had affordable options for Fusion + Edit Connection.   

Why? It offers quality blending available on all effects.  Good keying options, Comprehensive 3D titling. Great Pan and Zoom, Versioning etc etc.  (none of which are MC strong points). Background rendering with your timeline updating as the render progress's. Works like an Avid effect with a simple click on the effect in your MC timeline (similar to the way Avid FX worked but on steroids)
    Some of us are currently managing to use the Fusion Free + Edit connection as it is designed to work but in theory you need to buy Avid IO hardware or Fusion studio (now only $250US)   

As Avid has been asked for blending for longer than I can remember I feel the chance of a decent Avid Blending option any time soon is remote. Consequently Fusion/Edit Connection has been my go to solution for Blending, P&Z, Titling etc for some time now.  For these basics it has been no harder to learn than Avid FX was plus Fusion Studio is now cheaper than the now  stagnant Boris Red.

• Thu, Nov 2 2017 11:32 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,340
    • Points 96,440

The frustrating thing about blending is that there are widely available algorithms and code fragments that replicate all of the classic Photoshop blending modes plus more.  I have used them as the basis for writing my own effects on another NLE and it's absolutley trivial to do once you have the algorithms.  I find it hard to believe that a retired editor who had to learn a new programming language can do it and Avid's design team can't.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 19 2017 9:33 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 892
    • Points 10,415

Mbinnerup:
    The third thing is more colors to choose from in the clip color menu. Would be nice with a few more or an option to user define colors. We seem to run out of colors quite fast :) 

If you use ALT (Option) + right click in the clip color column, you will get far more than the 16 standard colors. 
    This doesn't work for timeline clip color and only in a bin with text mode. I don't know why Avid is kind of hiding it. 

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller