Latest post Mon, Oct 30 2017 6:30 PM by camoscato. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 29 2017 4:20 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 528
    • Points 7,140

Moving project from computer to..

Hi everyone,

I am working in a slightly new way for me. I am using a laptop to do a semi-ruff cut on a film project then I need to be able to move the whole thing to a more powerful desktop computer to finish it up. What would the most efficient workflow be here? I have a 1tb external drive with USB 3.0 or a 128gb 3.0 hi-speed thumb drive? What files do I need to transfer to get up and running on the big machine? The more detail, the better...I'm slow.. I'll probably begin by just moving the media to the big PC's hard drive; it's all the other files, project file, etc. that I'm not sure about. Mucho thanks to all who help out here.

• Sun, Oct 29 2017 4:34 PM In reply to

Re: Moving project from computer to..

For media, you could just move whatever drive you wind up using for media on the laptop to the desktop.

bushfilm:
    it's all the other files, project file, etc. that I'm not sure about.

All you need is the project folder. It's usually inside a folder called Avid Projects, and it will have the same name as whatever you named the project when you created it. Copy it from Avid Projects on the laptop to Avid Projects on the desktop, then start Media Composer and the project should show in the list of projects on the system.

That's it.

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Oct 29 2017 8:30 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 528
    • Points 7,140

I found the proiject folder on the laptop, but am having trouble locating it on the desktop. Will keep searching.

• Sun, Oct 29 2017 8:40 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 528
    • Points 7,140

I am definitely slow at this stuff...I tried doing as suggested but got nowhere fast, big chunks of red slots in timeline, so I guess I need a first-graders, step-by-step on how to move this project from laptop to desktop. I put the media files, and the rest on a thumb drive (USB3.0) and am ready to move it to the big boy, but haven't a clue how to start. Sorry for the high-density.

• Mon, Oct 30 2017 12:01 AM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,846
    • Points 24,160

It should be under Documents/Avid Projects on a windows machine.  It might also be found under Users (your name)/Documents/Avid Projects.

Hope this helps,

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 30 2017 12:56 AM In reply to

I move a little away from standard avoiding Avid's "Private" or "Shared" options by always using "External" when creating new projects.   This allows me to standardise with an Avid Projects Folder at the root level of any harddrive on any machine.  Note using an E:\   data drive in the attached image. All my computers have this Avid Projects Folder on one of their drives along with copies on backup and working portable USB drives for current projects.

You can copy your existing Avid Project from its current location to an Avid Projects folder on your USB 3 drive.  Then when opening the Project on the  second Computer just change from Private or Shared to External and browse to the Avid Projects (you can name this anything you like) folder on the USB drive and open the project.

bushfilm:
    big chunks of red slots in timeline,
    Are the red (offline) files in the timeline "Linked" media or Avid Media in the Mediadrive letter:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF  folder?

• Mon, Oct 30 2017 4:51 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 528
    • Points 7,140

So I managed to get the project folder in the right place; it showed up in list and opened. Since all the media is imported to the hard drive on this machine, I don't think they are linked. I seem to remember a small file you could delete from MXF folder, and on re-start, Avid would re-link to the right hard drive. Do I have this right?

Also, all the latest media is on the 128gb usb 3.0 drive. How do I get the MXF folder (from thumb drive) to where it needs to go; should I open it and "drop" the media into the folder as individual files? I have several hard drives, each with some degree of Avid files, old projects, whatever, so I am not exactly sure where to put the media.

Past projects are not really relevant, mostly just some tests and old home movies, I could wipe and start over if this would make things simpler. I am trying to ramp up for a new short film project so losing all the junky stuff would probably be a good thing.

Thanks all for all the help!

• Mon, Oct 30 2017 6:30 PM In reply to

First, the Ground Rules, from our old friend Larry Rubin:

Larry Rubin:

First, whenever moving media around, always follow the Media Folder Management Ground Rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the exact factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

bushfilm:
    have several hard drives, each with some degree of Avid files, old projects, whatever, so I am not exactly sure where to put the media.

Which hard drive(s) are you going to have connected to the desktop?
    bushfilm:
    Also, all the latest media is on the 128gb usb 3.0 drive. How do I get the MXF folder (from thumb drive) to where it needs to go; should I open it and "drop" the media into the folder as individual files?
    Yes. Wherever the media is now, it needs to be in a folder called Avid MediaFiles at the root level of whichever drive(s) you're going to connect to the desktop.

Larry Rubin:
    If unexpected media offline issues occur, rebuild the media database. Quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database" also identified as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" . If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point. This process updates the system to the new location of the media files.

Media Composer 2018.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller