Latest post Sat, Oct 28 2017 11:22 AM by David Yardley. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 27 2017 11:32 PM

• abernardi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 26
    • Points 350

MC 5 Color Space, preserving HQ

Hi, sorry for the basic questions here, but I'm confused (again!), and not super technical and only have a basic understanding of color space.

I've re-cut a piece using a lower rez source file and need to overcut it with the hirez source and then output the new version in the same format and quality as the hirez file.  The hirez file is a Prores 444 file.

I'm on a Mac MC 5.0.4 with an Adrenalin, so I'm forced to import the file to the DNxHD Avid format.  So here are some questions:

1 - Currently my project is 1080p/24.  The highest resolution available for import is 175 X, which is 10bit I think.  Is my setup even capable of 10bit?  I'm assuming it is if it's giving me the option.

2 - It's my understanding that even at that resolution, the Avid still compresses the file, so it will never actually be full res, is that true?

3 - My project color space is set to YCbCR.  Do I need to change that to RGB to maintain the full 444 before I import the hirez file?  

2 - If so, do I set my import settings to "Computer RGB"?

3 - For export, do I set the export color levels also for RGB?

4 - Should I export same as source and let QT convert it back to Prores, or should I do it all within the Avid?

I think that's all I need to know, but if anyone has any other input, please let me know!  THANK YOU

Avid MC 5.0.4, Adrenalin, Mac OS 10.6.8, MacPro 1.1, 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core, EuControl 2.7.1 (latest version for Snowleopard), Unity [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Sat, Oct 28 2017 8:02 AM In reply to

Re: MC 5 Color Space, preserving HQ

1. Yes, it supports 10bit. Buut if you switch your project format to RGB709 in stead of YCbCr709, you will find you will now have the option to import as DNxHD350x, which is 4:4:4 and 10bit.

2. An import will decompress the ProRes source and re-encode into DNxHD, yes. The biggest downside would be that you will be converting your 12bit APR4x4 into 10bit.

3. Yes, set it to RGB, so you will maintain the full color information.

2. NO. This is NOT the same 'RGB'. You will definitely need to set import to 601/709 in order to maintain luminance levels.

3. Depends. If you are exporting same-as-source, this box merely sets the QT playback flag to expand from studio swing to ful swing (RGB), or to keep levels as they are (601/709).

4. I would strongly recommend against using QT to do the conversion to ProRes. Doing a Custom export to ProRes from inside Media Composer, however, also uses the same Quicktime Engine and the same Apple ProRes Quicktime Codec, which many have found to cause al kinds of gamma shift issues. Do you have any other options available, like Resolve, to convert to ProRes?

The very best option, in my opinion, would be to post this in MC 6.5 or later, so you can import the APR4x4 Same-As-Source, conform, and export Same-As-Source, all with the 601/709 box ticked. If you have access to a different computer on which you can install a trial version of MC 8.9.2, that would make most sense to me.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 28 2017 11:22 AM In reply to

Re: MC 5 Color Space, preserving HQ

Job ter Burg:
    4. I would strongly recommend against using QT to do the conversion to ProRes. Doing a Custom export to ProRes from inside Media Composer, however, also uses the same Quicktime Engine and the same Apple ProRes Quicktime Codec, which many have found to cause al kinds of gamma shift issues. Do you have any other options available, like Resolve, to convert to ProRes?

Yes, and importing or exporting to a different codec in MC truncates the media to 8 Bit.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona 3. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 14GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller