Latest post Fri, Oct 27 2017 11:54 PM by AndrewAction. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 27 2017 1:35 AM

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Avid just changed all my dates modified in the bin!

Update: upon closer inspection,  Avid appears to be changing sequence modified dates when closing the bin. 

Here's my original post - probably not relevant but I'll leave the original question up anyway just in case.

Any way to get it to stop it from doing this and leave the actual sequence modified date?  I need to find when one particular timeline version was last modified.  thx

-----

So I have a bin (bin 1) with a bunch of different sequences, with versions of each.  Now about 5 minutes ago, it changed the modified dates. They now all have the same modified date and time, of five minutes ago.  Which makes the field useless for sorting.

The only thing I did that I'm aware of, was to create another bin (let's call it bin 2) and copy about a third of some of the sequences over to it so that bin 1 would have the original copies in it as a backup.  Then I renamed bin 1 to old, closed bin 1, opened bin 2, and opened a new sequence out of that. 

Looking back in the bin 1, all my dates have been changed to the same date for everything in the bin. 

Which is actually LATER than when I copied the sequences over into bin 2, so it can't have happened then. 

Extra info in case it's relevant:   What I was doing was taking these 15 or so sequences and dragging them into a timeline to start the final draft.   But again, half of the sequences in that bin were prior versions and were not opened or disturbed at all.

So my question is, 1) what could have possibly caused this so I can avoid it in the future, and 2) is there any way to get the prior modified dates back so I can go back in there and sort by that column later if need be?

Thank you

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 27 2017 9:15 PM In reply to

• Marty McLean
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 39
    • Points 375

Re: Avid just changed all my dates modified in the bin!

Well when the bins are saved, even if nothing changes between saves, it's obviously going to change the modification date in Avid and the Finder. This is why you add a version number, date or even time to the title of the seq. For example "FINE CUT 03 28/10/17"

2014 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.13.5 | Avid 2018.5 with PhraseFind + ScriptSync | 2.5GHz i7 | 16GB | 2GB GT 750M [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 27 2017 9:35 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Oh thanks for confirming that Marty.

That's a really frustrtaing thing.   It does no good to see when the bin closed.   

I actually did save version numbers, as in duplicating them and it would say "timeline x, copy 02) etc. This way I keep working in the main timeline, but back up version copies.  

In ths case, there were several timeline versions and I wanted to see the date as well  as the copy number.  It should leave the sequence file alone when the bin is closed.  If there are a hundred sequences in a bin, it makes sense that someone might want to go in and see when a clip was actually modified.   For instance, "Fine CUt 03 28/10/17 might have a change made to it on 4/1.  

Avid, really? Who cares when the bin was was closed?  I open and close bins all the time as needed.  Renders the date modified column absolutely useless. 

Thanks again Marty. I"ll modify my naming process.

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 27 2017 11:54 PM In reply to

SR555:
    Who cares when the bin was was closed?
    COULD help you if you need to find a bin version before it had this time modified with Attic files

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller