Latest post Sat, Mar 17 2018 11:48 PM by Martin Fox. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 26 2017 8:00 AM

media composer making fans noisy

I have recently puchased a new imac 2017 i7, 24 gigs of ram. Latest media composer makes the fans run really loudly about 2 minutes into a simple three minute sequence!! Arrgg! This was supposed to be dream machine !

Ant thoughts?

iMac 2017 3.5ghz core i5. 24 gig ram. Blackmagic mini monitor. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 31 2017 12:25 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,370

Re: media composer making fans noisy

I am thinking of purchasing the same machine, and I've noted lots of comments on the mac forums (macrumour eg) about the fans. What kind of media are you playing back? MP4 uses a lot of CPU (dnx does not) does this impact the fans? Take a look at the CPU page in the activity monitor (in utilities Mac OS) and see how much the CPU is working (there is no measure of gpu in activity monitor)

i am keen to follow how you go with this machine, it's this or a hackintosh for me!

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13 MC 8.9.4 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 31 2017 2:02 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,370

This blog is really informative on how to use the video cache and general hardware resources;

http://www.avidblogs.com/how-avid-media-composer-uses-a-computer/

There is a discussion thread for the blog on the forum.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13 MC 8.9.4 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 31 2017 9:36 PM In reply to

I'll try and keep you up to date. The thing I have found is if I play the same sequence in the source monitor, the computer has no issues and behaves the way I thought it would. I have no issues with the performance of the machine, its nice and snappy and the interface looks great on the screen. But the fans on record monitor playback is deeply frustrating. The cpu hits 250% and the fans cycle up and down every thirty seconds or so. Its only running DNX 36. I have run much more complicated sequences on an imac much smaller and older.....

iMac 2017 3.5ghz core i5. 24 gig ram. Blackmagic mini monitor. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 9 2017 12:37 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,370

Hi Mark I wonder if you have achieved a quieter edit space? Or are you still editing in the wind?

martin

• Thu, Nov 9 2017 1:13 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,370

This is the post in mac rumours I've been following:

forums > mac> iMac> please review your 2017 iMac > page 16

is it related to your experience?

• Wed, Nov 22 2017 1:19 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,370

Just received my 2017 iMac i7.

i will report in this week.

• Mon, Mar 5 2018 2:18 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,370

So my new machine generally runs fairly quiet.  The fans will speed up for intensive tasks like playing back h264 or transcoding, but otherwise it is a quiet machine.

• Mon, Mar 5 2018 2:49 AM In reply to

That good to hear. I had no luck with my machine. It went back to Apple to see if anything was wrong, they said all was well, of course. Plugged it back in my cutting room and same issues. In the end I gave up on it, had a huge argument with Apple who refused to give me my money back as it was passed the grace period. In the end the Apple shop I dealt with honoured the deal, and I swapped it for the mid-range I5, with lots of ram. NO ISSUES. Quiet as a mouse, the fans NEVER spin up that I can hear anyway. It may have been a dodgy unit, but from what I have read online, it seems to me the I7 just runs really hot, so the fans are going to be up and running all the time. I couldnt live with that, as a drama editor. As far as editing is concerned I can feel no difference in performance, I don't need to transcode a great deal, so the 20% less speed is something I can live with after all the time I have already wasted. I am a happy chappie now. If all is working then I am happy for you!

• Sat, Mar 17 2018 11:48 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,370

Thanks for reporting back, and good to hear you are sorted. I’m sure an i5 is good.

I’ve had one day on mine when the fans were up running fast, even when I was barely using the cpu, I relaunched the avid and it sorted itself, (when the fans were running I looked at the activity monitor and there was a huge amount of system cpu activity, after the relaunch there was hardly any system activity, even though I was doing the same edit task).

So my conclusion is the avid simply got mixed up, and was making a system call that was unnecessary.

enjoy your quiet edit, Martin

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller