Latest post Sat, Jul 7 2018 2:08 AM by TVJohn. 36 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 3 2018 6:38 PM In reply to

• BlueMac
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 30 2008
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Re: Questions RE: "How Avid Media Composer Uses a Computer"

Actually, I have had personal experience on how much GPU acceleration affects Media Composer...

When upgrading from 8.3.1 to 8.5.3 there was a new requirement for RAM needed in the GPU for AVIDs ACPL library (which is a big part of how Media Composer utilizes GPU).  We suddenly had all our BorisFX CCC plugins take about 100 times longer to render.

Should one wish to see the effects on performance, I can suggest you disable ACPL as outlined in the following KB article:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/Disabling-ACPL-GPU-Acceleration-for-Media-Composer-on-Windows

Apparently there is no noted proceedure on how to do this in MacOS, but I suppose you could temporarily replace your GPU with one that has insufficient RAM for Media Composer to load ACPL.  This is variable based  on Media Composer version, but if your running anything v8.5.3 or above, you need at least 1.5GB of RAM (this requrement increases along the way in more recent versions).

Find a GPU with 1GB of RAM and you will be able to verify that "This card is not supported" in the Info tab of the Project window.

Dave Hogan

Burbank, CA

• Tue, Jul 3 2018 7:04 PM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • England
    • Posts 307
    • Points 3,800

I noticed absolutely no difference swapping my 1GB HD5870 to an 8GB RX580 - apart from the message changing from "you don't have enough GPU memory" to "GPU FX acceleration is enabled" .

But then I don't have any Boris FX anymore - is that all that takes advantage of GPU ?

MC 8.9.2 Symphony - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - Sapphire pulse RX580 8GB -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 3 2018 8:00 PM In reply to

• BlueMac
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

It would be helpful to know some other system specs, and work flow.  What version of MC are you running?  What kind, frame rate and resolution of media are you using?  Are you using much in the way of real time FX (Keys, Timewarp, etc.)?

If editing DV footage, cuts only, one shouldn't notice any difference at all.

If editing AVCHD 4K footage with tons of effects you should see a dramatic difference.

Dave Hogan

Burbank, CA

• Tue, Jul 3 2018 9:40 PM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • England
    • Posts 307
    • Points 3,800

All my system specs are listed below.

my particular experiences have been with spectramatte keying, a realtime effect. Key will playback fine until a matte blur/erode/dilate is applied, then playback becomes choppy.

DNxHD120 media 1080 25p 

this used to work fine in previous versions of MC, but I noticed around the time of moving to MC 8.9.2 it didn't work anymore, the info tab was telling me my GPU had insufficient memory - so I spent some time working out the best replacement GPU options - now it tells me GPU acceleration is enabled, but no improvement is experienced.

this is why it would be great to have more information from Avid about what GPU acceleration actually is, and how it works.

MC 8.9.2 Symphony - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - Sapphire pulse RX580 8GB -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 5 2018 12:52 PM In reply to

• BlueMac
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

There are a couple things I would investigate if I were in your shoes.  First of all I would try the Nvidia Web driver for your current version of OS.  There are sub versions, which you can determine by clicking on the MacOS version in the "About This Mac" window.  Then check to see which Nvidia Driver is compatible, on macvidcards.com/drivers.  The following is a link, and descrbes determining the sub version of MacOS you are running:

http://www.macvidcards.com/drivers.html

If you have done this already, I suggest switching between the Nvidia Web driver and the OS X default graphics driver to see if that makes any difference.

The second area I would check is to see if your CPUs are compatible.  Though you indicate your system specs are in your forum signature, that doesn't come through in the e-mails I received or in the reply dialogue.  Logging into the forum I see that you have a MacPro 2.66Ghz 12 core.  Is that a Mac Pro tower or the cylinder (trashcan).  I assume it has to be a Tower, since you were able to swap out GPUs, but which one (what year release, and is it a MacPro 5,1, 4,1 or 3,1)?  Several of the 12 core CPUs have had issues with Media Composer software and are not certified to work properly with it.  Here is the Mac system requireents:

http://resources.avid.com/supportfiles/attach/Mac_Current_CPU_Specifications.pdf

It indicates that only the Westmere 12 core 2.66Ghz cpus are compatible.  Additionally, I would check that your ram is 1333Ghz ram, not 1066Ghz ram, and that they are all matched the same size, brand and lot.

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 7:00 AM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • England
    • Posts 307
    • Points 3,800

Hi,

I'm not using an Nvidia card - it's an AMD Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB - I got this because I didn't want the hassle with the Nvidia drivers

this machine was bought, is used, and has been upgraded specifically for Avid Media Composer - so the CPUs have been qualified for years - 6x8GB matched 1333 Ghz RAM etc - it's a mid 2010 5.1 tower, all by the book, apart from this GPU 

this is a dedicated work machine, very clean system, hardly ever connected to Internet - I've spent a lot of time trying to make the correct upgrade decisions. 

• Sat, Jul 7 2018 2:08 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,305
    • Points 53,220

I have noted over the years that a high clock speed CPU is preferable over core counts for MC.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

Page 3 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller