Latest post Sun, Oct 1 2017 4:08 PM by AsafBlasberg. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 29 2017 4:31 PM

Please Watch This Video

Hello,

I was told by Avid Tech that you cannot select multiple edit points. However, take a look at this video and let me know if this is a "trick" or just a bug in the software, or completely by design. My goal is to be able to drag two edit points left and right.  The video will explain it for itself. Here's the link.

https://youtu.be/74WNfJasDVM

Thank you folks :)

• Fri, Sep 29 2017 6:02 PM In reply to

Re: Please Watch This Video

Hi,

I couldn't duplicate this on v8.9.2, but I also couldn't see how you were selecting multiple edit points. I tried using the ripple trim and overwrite trim tools, but whenever I clicked on the second edit point the first was deselected. Can you list the specific steps you took?

Media Composer 2018.1 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Sep 29 2017 7:04 PM In reply to

Hi camoscato,

I selected the multiple edit points by holding down the Shift key. But what I actually did was create transitions first. So i'm actually selecting transitions, then deleting them using the DEL key.  Once I did that, the pink vertical lines magically appeared on both of them! Big Smile

• Fri, Sep 29 2017 7:04 PM In reply to

Also, once you select a second edit point, you're right that the pink vertical lines on the first go away.  Not sure if this is a a "trick".

• Fri, Sep 29 2017 7:21 PM In reply to

AsafBlasberg:
    I selected the multiple edit points by holding down the Shift key.

Ok, but I still can't tell exactly what you did to get both transitions selected. What tool were you using when you held down shift and clicked? Did you have to click on both sides of both edit points? 

Media Composer 2018.1 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Sep 29 2017 7:26 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,269
    • Points 42,290
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

What you're looking at is merely an artifact left over from deleting the transition points. You still only have 1 real edit point, the last one selected.

This is obviously related to your earlier post on multiple edit points. To which I'm still trying to figure out exactly what you're trying to accomplish; you say you don't want to do a slip edit. So what are you trying to do? If all you want to do is slide an entire clip left or right, just go into segment mode, grab the clip and slide it where you want it. If for multiple consecutive clips, shift-click to select the clips and slide.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Sep 29 2017 9:22 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,395
    • Points 15,355

Hello everyone,
    Uff, I interpreted ....Smile

It is necessary to have "Transition manipulation" switched on in the timeline, mark two "transitions" with "shift" and delete the effect. There is a possibility of trimming as shown in the video.

I have no use for it, only hypothetically necessary at various corrections on the same frame and possibly shift ...Hmm

V.

AVID MC8.10 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 385.08, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.9.9, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 30 2017 5:35 PM In reply to

DStone - selecting multiple segments and dragging them left to right (i.e. slipping) doesn't work for me because it creates empty gaps in the timeline, and then I have to manually fill them in later: see my video below:

https://youtu.be/vvhceLdwY-I

(Hence i don't like it).

The method I showed in the previous video allows me to drag the pink vertical lines left and right, keeping everything in sync, and does not cause any gaps in the timeline.

That's what I'm attrying to accomplish.  I've done this hundreds of times in Premiere Pro.  Looks like Avid has a limitation where you cannot select multiple edit points, and the only way toPost

get it to work is through this "trick" method if you will...

• Sun, Oct 1 2017 5:17 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,269
    • Points 42,290
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

You're creating blank space because the mode is wrong. You're in overwrite mode, You need to be in segement mode.

MC Track Header

Now select the clips the clips and drag.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Oct 1 2017 4:08 PM In reply to

Hi I tried that and i get the error message:

Also, when i try to drag, i lose my audio/video sync.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller