Latest post Mon, Oct 16 2017 11:11 AM by Susi. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 26 2017 7:50 PM

** HIGH SIERRA: Download, but DON'T INSTALL **

On September 26th, Apple released macOS High Sierra (10.13.0). At this time, it is not supported by Avid and should not be installed on any Avid workstation.

HOWEVER, once Apple releases 10.13.1, the base version of High Sierra will no longer be available. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that all Avid users who intend to upgrade at some point download High Sierra from the App Store, but don't install it. There will be an file in your Application folder called "Install High Sierra" which you can keep until needed.

When Avid does qualify High Sierra, you are able to install the base version, then download whatever "Combo" updater required that will get you to an approved OS. But if 10.13.1 is released the day Avid qualifies 10.13.0, you won't be able to get the base version unless you've already downloaded it.

So, as I always recommend when new OSes come out, DOWNLOAD...BUT DON'T INSTALL (yet).

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Oct 11 2017 3:25 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 438
    • Points 4,850

Re: ** HIGH SIERRA: Download, but DON'T INSTALL **

Kevin Klimek:
    So, as I always recommend when new OSes come out, DOWNLOAD...BUT DON'T INSTALL (yet).

When new OSes come out! If you have been on Macintosh for years you know there have been a train load of them! Big Smile

(not JPluta or affiliated with this person. Used the train photo to play with (non profit) but did not want to delete his/her name Yes)

MacPro 2008 3,1 | 26GB Ram | Quadro 4000 GTX 980ti | MC 8.8.0 | OS 10.10.5 10.11.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644 | LaCie 324 | [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Oct 13 2017 11:31 PM In reply to

• Zach Fine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 31 2011
    • Posts 25
    • Points 295

> HOWEVER, once Apple releases 10.13.1, the base version of High Sierra will no longer be available. 

Is Apple really starting to do that for macOS, as opposed to iOS? --as far as I can tell all of Apple's OS installers going back many versions, years and years, are available on their servers over here: https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

Before getting tired of hitting the 'Load more results' button I saw downloads links for many versions (likely all) of Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mountain Lion on that page. Didn't check for completeness. There's a similar but maybe more extensive list of downloads available in apple's developer pages, accessible with a free developer account.

Because I wanted to try out the new OS's features, I've gone ahead and installed macOS High Sierra (Version 10.13) on an external thunderbolt SSD drive and am currently booted from it. Media Composer 8.8.2 seems to be working fine so far for me, with Blackmagic a/v output. It may not yet be a supported configuration, but I've run into no issues yet.

Media Composer 8.4.1 OS X 10.10.5 and depending on location: Late 2013 MacPro 3.7GHz quad core with 12Gb RAM and D300 GPU or Late 2013 MacPro 3GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 14 2017 1:16 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,026
    • Points 36,755

Zach Fine:

Is Apple really starting to do that for macOS, as opposed to iOS? --as far as I can tell all of Apple's OS installers going back many versions, years and years, are available on their servers over here: https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

Before getting tired of hitting the 'Load more results' button I saw downloads links for many versions (likely all) of Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mountain Lion on that page. Didn't check for completeness. There's a similar but maybe more extensive list of downloads available in apple's developer pages, accessible with a free developer account.

Because I wanted to try out the new OS's features, I've gone ahead and installed macOS High Sierra (Version 10.13) on an external thunderbolt SSD drive and am currently booted from it. Media Composer 8.8.2 seems to be working fine so far for me, with Blackmagic a/v output. It may not yet be a supported configuration, but I've run into no issues yet.

Well, I went to the suggested link and stopped looking when I could NOT fine the base install of Sierra - 10.12.0 - updates yes, base no.  Did I miss it?

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.4.5 / 8.5.2 | OS 10.10.x / OS Yosemite - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

New Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Oct 14 2017 3:42 AM In reply to

• Zach Fine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 31 2011
    • Posts 25
    • Points 295

Nah you didn't, I just looked and didn't see it either.

Looks like you're right! Argh, that sucks. In the developer section Apple does make all versions available of every OS but with debugging symbols, and that may or may not affect performance to use as an OS.

The comments after this article mention a couple of alternate ways to download OS X Sierra from official Apple sources (no way to specify a particular version). Of course one can fairly easily find the base level version of Sierra on google drive or via torrent, but then you're trusting an unofficial source and could potentially end up with security issues.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/26/macos-sierra-decoupled-from-apple-id/

Media Composer 8.4.1 OS X 10.10.5 and depending on location: Late 2013 MacPro 3.7GHz quad core with 12Gb RAM and D300 GPU or Late 2013 MacPro 3GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 16 2017 8:29 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 564
    • Points 6,525

OK here's a really stupid question; thought I'd downloaded High Sierra, but nothing shows in 'downloads' folder. Only result seems to be the floating window inviting me to continue with installation.
    What to do?

(Early stages of specc'ing a new laptop)

Media Composer 8.6.4 on 15" mid-2012 Macbook Pro (OSX10.11.6) 2.7GHz Intel, 8GB RAM Gizmos: CanonXF200; Canon 550D (DSLR); Hero Go-Pro3 and 4; Sony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 16 2017 9:23 AM In reply to

Quit the installer - it'll sit there in your Applications folder ready to be used when you need it.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 8.9.1 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 16 2017 11:11 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 564
    • Points 6,525

Thank you so, so much!

Media Composer 8.6.4 on 15" mid-2012 Macbook Pro (OSX10.11.6) 2.7GHz Intel, 8GB RAM Gizmos: CanonXF200; Canon 550D (DSLR); Hero Go-Pro3 and 4; Sony... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller