Latest post Thu, Sep 21 2017 6:32 AM by dew. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 18 2017 10:42 AM

BORIS RED discontinued

If I get it right, Boris Red will be discontinued, and the only option will be too crossgrade to BCC for 995 USD.

I've brought RED for 300 USD 18 Months ago, and I'am very disappointed that RED will probably be useless in near future, if I want to have the newest version of MC installed on my system.

I'am shure I'am not alone with this. I am asking affected costumers to share their thoughts on this. With your support I want to ask BORIS FX for a better solution!

Thanks,

Michael

MC 8.8.5, WIN 10 x64, HP z840, dual E5-2640v3 2.6Ghz, 8x4GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000, MXO2 LE, Artist Mix [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 18 2017 10:46 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,330

Re: BORIS RED discontinued

well, with the aquisition of genarts they have a near monopoly now.

on the upside: i'd think that it will be quite a while until your current plugins will will really be problematic with future avids.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 18 2017 1:28 PM In reply to

While I understand your irritation, there should not be any reason for Boris Red to stop working with a future version of MC. As long as we're on AVX2, it should keep working. I doubt this will change in the _near_ future.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 18 2017 7:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,718
    • Points 113,675
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Michael

Like Job said, I highly doubt that BCC will phase out from working  for a long while.  WE have a long standing relationship with this product so it is in our best interest to continue to test it for a long while.

I suggest you send a note to BorisFx directly with your concerns and see what they have to say about the matter.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 18 2017 10:14 PM In reply to

Michael from cologne:
    I'am shure I'am not alone with this. I am asking affected costumers to share their thoughts on this.
    Having brought 5.5 on a sale promotion cunningly worded that "Red 6 would be a free upgrade WHEN it was RELEASED" several years back I am exceedingly disappointed in this development. Since this purchase I have been repeated informed by Boris support that Red 6 was in the pipeline.  

A couple of weeks back when looking for the latest version of Red to test whether it was working properly with the latest versions og MC for a forum member I got suspicious when the BorisFX site showed only Continuum and acquired technologies Mocha and Sapphire on their home page.  Contacting Support I was told their would be no Red 6 but support could arrange an undisclosed discount on BCC  (not even BCC upgrade as I have several registered copies of it).  

Not impressed I downloaded the latest update for Red 5.5. Subsequently I have received a slew of automated emails with subjects like How to start with Boris Red, Red tutorials, Was I happy with Boris support? Hoping I am happy with my purchase? etc etc
    NOW the one, unsolicited, email I expected from a company I have dealt with over a very long period of time is conspicuous by its absence.  Really, given all the automated sales BS from them in my inbox, how hard would it have been for Boris is notify ALL their registered Red customers of their decisions on Red???   In my old fashioned view NOT HARD AT All.  

My current disgust means I will now continue to use the products of theirs I own until they are no longer work in my environment. There will be no future purchases.

• Tue, Sep 19 2017 11:16 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    Having brought 5.5 on a sale promotion cunningly worded that "Red 6 would be a free upgrade WHEN it was RELEASED" several years back I am exceedingly disappointed in this development. Since this purchase I have been repeated informed by Boris support that Red 6 was in the pipeline.  

I too bought under the same circumstances and its been crickets ever since. 

Hopefully the crossgrade to BCC is reasonable, if not will someone please please please make an affordable compsite plug in for MC like BCC composite? How fricken hard can it be for Avid to make one themselves? BCC and Saphire already did all the owrk for you..just copy it! 

iMAC (late 2015) 4GHZ i7 - 32GB RAM - AMD R9 M395X 4GB 512 SSD BOOT BM Ultra Studio Express w/Driver 10.5.4. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 19 2017 11:17 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

While I understand your irritation, there should not be any reason for Boris Red to stop working with a future version of MC. As long as we're on AVX2, it should keep working. I doubt this will change in the _near_ future.

Thats a bold statement. Not worried about MC breaking it themselves but OS upgrades could surely do some dmage in the nearer future. 

iMAC (late 2015) 4GHZ i7 - 32GB RAM - AMD R9 M395X 4GB 512 SSD BOOT BM Ultra Studio Express w/Driver 10.5.4. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 21 2017 6:32 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 483
    • Points 6,130

It would be great if Avid just came out with their own composite plugin. Im a bit tired of having to always rely on 3rd party companies. Im sure many of us wouldn't have a problem paying a option fee for such a thing

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller