Latest post Tue, Sep 12 2017 8:12 PM by AndrewAction. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 11 2017 10:40 PM

• elstie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 12 2013
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

IMPORT TOO SHORT on batch re-importing stills

I have a bit of a weird issue. When I'm batch re-importing on a sequence to uprez still images, I get an error in the console saying "IMPORT TOO SHORT". Shouldn't it know how long to import each image based on the existing metadata?

If I override settings and add a second to the duration, it fixes the issue, but that seems like a very odd workaround for something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) [3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB], Avid 8.5.3, Avid Artist DNxIO box [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 11 2017 10:56 PM In reply to

Re: IMPORT TOO SHORT on batch re-importing stills

Have you added transitions?
    Could you try adding 1 frame and see if that will batch re-import?

It could also be helpful if you either post here or add to your forum "Current system Specs" (preferred) the version of MC you are using and your OS version. Thanks.

• Tue, Sep 12 2017 6:23 PM In reply to

• elstie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 12 2013
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

I just did a test. I freshly imported a photo, cut roughly 5 seconds from the middle of the clip in to a new sequence, took the media drive offline, and tried to batch re-import on the sequence. I got the same issue. Oddly, I don't get the issue if I cut the full duration of the photo master clip into the sequence.

It's been awhile since I've set my specs since I move around systems a lot, but good reminder. For now, I'm running 8.5.3 on a Mac Pro trash can, OS 10.11.4 on an Avid Artist DNxIO box.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) [3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB], Avid 8.5.3, Avid Artist DNxIO box [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 12 2017 8:12 PM In reply to

elstie:
    Oddly, I don't get the issue if I cut the full duration of the photo master clip into the sequence.
    Strange.  If I was you and had the time to re test I would disconnect the Avid Artist DNxIO box. Make a new timeline and repeat the test you just did.  

For practical purposes to avoid this I always import stills at my online resolution in the first place.   Why?  MC imports a single frame still and sets it's duration with meta data.  So irrespective of the duration of each still the size of media in your media drive varies between say 1mb and, at the most, 40mbs dependant on the resolution chosen.  (4K at DNxHR say 40mb's compared to 1:1 Standard def maybe 1.5mbs irrespective of duration) 

To get the job done in your current situation the best way IMO would be to go to your graphics bin and select all the graphics and choose  Batch Re-Import. When done your timeline will automatically update the media to the new Batch Re-Imported clips.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller