Latest post Tue, Sep 12 2017 9:29 PM by tommix. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 11 2017 6:49 PM

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,085

Problems with importing MXF media under WIN 10

Canon C300 recorded files are 4K 422 10-bit.

1) I can LINK to MXF files in a folder ON a CFast card and play them, but not smoothly.

2) I can IMPORT an MXF file in a folder ON a CFast card and transcode to FHD DNxHD 115. Takes forever but it works.

BUT, when I select multiple MXF files -- only one file is imported. No way to have a bunch of files be imported overnight!

MC seems to forget that I selected multiple MXF files.

{Seems the other files in the directory, e.g., XML -- causes MC to get confused!} This is a bug!?

4) If I copy the C300 CFast card folder to a harddisk so I can use the card, and then IMPORT from the harddisk C300 folder -- the same folder that is on the CFast card -- MC claims there is no media. Obviously there is because I can play the MXF files in VLC. This is a bug!?

• Mon, Sep 11 2017 7:00 PM In reply to

Re: Problems with importing MXF media under WIN 10

I'm unclear. YOu say you Import and then Trancode? Why? When you import you select the resolution of the media to create.

You AMA link and then Transcode to make media.

If you AMA link and background Transcode you can then continue to AMA link more and set more background Transcodes going.

I've done hundreds of C300 AMA links and Transcodes in a session and left it overnight.

Note the new Avid media clips are created quickly but will show as media offline. This is correct, they will become online when the background media has been created.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Sep 11 2017 10:13 PM In reply to

Link - not directly to the MXF files, but to the root of the volume.  For Canon XF, that should be one level above the CONTENTS folder.  Or, the root of the drive.

From there, you're correct - it might not play smoothly from the card.  But it might play great from a hard-drive copy.  Either way, you can link, and then transcode to whatever format you want.  You may even be able to consolidate, which'll be far faster, if the recording is already in a format that Avid supports natively.  I forget what the C300 does, but it may fall under that category.

Then, just edit with the consolidated or transcoded media.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 8.9.3 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 12 2017 7:21 PM In reply to

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,085

" When you import you select the resolution of the media to create. "

Nope--no resolution select -- always 1080p upon IMPORT.

"You AMA link and then Transcode to make media."

Nope--no "AMA link." LINK or IMPORT.

"I've done hundreds of C300 AMA links and Transcodes in a session."

Using First?

• Tue, Sep 12 2017 7:57 PM In reply to

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,085

Link - not directly to the MXF files, but to the root of the volume.  For Canon XF, that should be one level above the CONTENTS folder.  Or, the root of the drive.

LINK works fine from the Clips## folder. Of course the files are still on the card unless you have copied the Clips## folder to the hard disk. Either way it's still h264 422 10-bit so not going to play well.

That's why IMPORT needs to be used. Transcode to DNxHD 115 in FHD. But IMPORT will not work from the Clips## folder on the harddisk.

Must select each MXF file to transcode, ...

Today it iseemed to import all selected MXF files. But, after a brief showing of all clips, every one but the first in the list disapeared. Each time you click IMPORT you get the first file imported.

Even ifyou drag the MXF files to a folder just for then, only the first is imported.

"Either way, you can link, and then transcode to whatever format you want. " To do this one must use the IMPORT not the LINK button.

Thank you.

Steve Mullen

• Tue, Sep 12 2017 9:29 PM In reply to

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,085

When you select multiple mxf files, the bin fills with the h264 clips upon an IMPORT, but after the first clip has been transcoded, all clips except for the one transcoded dissapear from the bin.

Limited to the transcode of only one clip at a time. Useless for C300 footage! Perhaps also for Sony mxf footage.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller