Latest post Tue, Sep 12 2017 9:06 AM by benholden. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 8 2017 4:00 PM

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 434
    • Points 4,965
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Beachballing when trimming or hitting play from Thunderbolt connected RAID media.

Having a problem with my setup whereby pretty much every time I hit play or try to trim an edit I get a second or so of beach ball before Avid responds. I can do all my work in bins eg syncing, labelling etc just fine and I can make sequences and export and even scrub the timeline without a problem; it's just when I try to play that I see this.

At first I thought it was an issue with video drivers for the Blackmagic Ultrastudio that I'm using as a BoB but I've since isolated it to the Lacie Big8 RAIDs that we use. I've copied the Avid media to a WD USB3 pocket drive and everything works fine.

Blackmagic Disk Speed Test says that the RAIDs are good for everything up to 30fps 4K so as the avid media is only DNx36 I can't understand why I'm getting this problem.

FWIW Da Vinci seems perfectly happy playing the original ProRes4444 media from these drives, even dynamic trimming with no delay, so I'm wondering if there's some Avid setting that might fix this behaviour.

System is  a MacPro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 with 12GB of RAM and dual AMD D700 GPUs. 2x Lacie Big8 42TB RAID5 connected via TB

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 12 2017 9:06 AM In reply to

• benholden
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 13 2015
    • London, UK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 425

Re: Beachballing when trimming or hitting play from Thunderbolt connected RAID media.

Hi siencs, I haven't got a fix for you, but some useful info that may help as i use LaCie 8big Thunderbolt and experience similar issuses too. 

I experience intermitten timeline playback (what i call) buffering. i.e. it takes a sec or 2 for the Avid to send the command to the LaCie drive to playback the footage (or the other way round!), and i get an error for a sec appear in the Avid monitor "SFPlayConsumer__Execute TIMEOUT". I also experience slow response when dealing with effects. These issues, albeit annoying, don't always happen and can't always be fixed.

I have found a few things that help the issuse but still waiting on that magic fix!:

1. this helped the general performance of the Mac and Avid, make sure that in (Mac) system preferences> energy saver> make sure "put hard disks to sleep when possible" and "enable power nap" are unticked.

2. I also found quitting Avid App Man from the tool bar and quitting Avid background services helps. Problem is Avid background services constanly reappers in the tool bar. Does anyone know how to disable/quit/turn off Avid background services completly??

3. You probably have, but worth checking you have the latest LaCie Raid Manager v2... installed, and that the LaCie RAID firmware is up to date.

As i said, not a fix but hopefully some useful info. 

Avid 8.9.1 / Mojo DX / Mac Pro 6.1 late 2013 / MacOS 10.12.6 / 16 GB Memory / AMD FirePro D500 / 3GHz 8 Core Intel Xeon E5 / LG 34UC98 Ultra Wide Display... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller