Latest post Thu, Aug 16 2018 4:57 AM by bushfilm. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 15 2017 9:58 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,376
    • Points 43,575
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: HELP! How do I up-res footage in sequence?

Wow, I don't know which one encodes to J2K more slowly; MC or DCP -o-matic!!!

If you do have to make a DCP and you have a couple of spare systems floating around, DCP-o-matic lets you run just the encoding servers on them and create a render farm. Otherwise you need a really high end system (I'm only getting 3 frames/second for HD on an I7-4790K with 32Gb of ram). It's taken me something like 30 minutes for a 3-minute video. If you've got a feature length film, then with a single processor it's something like 20 hours to render.

Looking at what people are suggesting on their forums, a couple of dual processor HP Z600s gets near realtime encoding. I suspect a threadripper or an I9 would work quite well too.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Oct 23 2017 4:48 PM In reply to

• cuspgirl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 7 2017
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Hiya, the festival got back to me finally and said I need either a DCP or a Prores file. And to send by 30th Oct! What do you suggest? Could you please advise? The DCP process seems too complicated... but should I try going for that route? Or Prores file? Not sure what the steps are either way :/ thanks a lot for your help.

• Mon, Oct 23 2017 7:41 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,376
    • Points 43,575
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

MC doesn't encode to Prores on a PC (it does on the Mac). There are converters for the PC out there that do. I use FootageStudio 4K by Acrovid. It can convert to Prores 444. But it's not free whereas DCP-O-matic is. There is good manual on the DCP-O-Matic site, as well as a user forurm that you can peruse. If you're going to go this route, I suggest getting it installed and started. It takes a while.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Oct 26 2017 2:45 PM In reply to

• cuspgirl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 7 2017
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Thanks a lot Dave. I use Mac so I can encode to Prores! For this route, would I simply do a video mixdown using the 'apple prores HQ' codec? 

Then bring that mixed down file into a new sequence (the only video content) and export 'same as source'? 

• Fri, Aug 10 2018 10:56 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 519
    • Points 7,035

So the highest quality setting is JPEG 2K as you mentioned? I'm looking at a screening in a digital theater, but don't know yet if they require DCP or MP4. Your information is very helpful, thanks so much!

• Thu, Aug 16 2018 4:57 AM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 519
    • Points 7,035

So I saw your instructions about batch importing. I have a couple questions; here goes. I have a sequence made up of clips I imported at DNxHD 45 that I would like to export at a higher resolution, like DNxHD 175. None of the clips are AMA linked, all were imported from various folders on my computer in the normal fashion. What would the best way to up rez these clips be? I don't know whether I should transcode or batch import the clips. Do I need to delete the media first, or can I import without deleting? I will need the low rez media for future edits so I'm guessing I shouldn't delete the media. Also, what about the titles, still photos, other graphics. Will they up rez automatically or do I need to do it manually, and if so, how would I do that? Almost all the clips came from a Panasonic GH3 at 1080p 30p and they look pretty good, so I am hoping for a nice looking export for screening on a projector at a music conference. Would I gain any quality by going to DNxHD 220 or Jpeg 2K or some other format? And finally, I am paying someone to do a sound mix in Pro Tools, any suggestions on how to get the project and media from my computer to his? He lives in another city so it has to be moved to his machine. By the way, you Avid Moderators are doing a great job and I really appreciate all your help. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller