Latest post Thu, Oct 26 2017 2:45 PM by cuspgirl. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 15 2017 9:58 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,216
    • Points 41,610
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: HELP! How do I up-res footage in sequence?

Wow, I don't know which one encodes to J2K more slowly; MC or DCP -o-matic!!!

If you do have to make a DCP and you have a couple of spare systems floating around, DCP-o-matic lets you run just the encoding servers on them and create a render farm. Otherwise you need a really high end system (I'm only getting 3 frames/second for HD on an I7-4790K with 32Gb of ram). It's taken me something like 30 minutes for a 3-minute video. If you've got a feature length film, then with a single processor it's something like 20 hours to render.

Looking at what people are suggesting on their forums, a couple of dual processor HP Z600s gets near realtime encoding. I suspect a threadripper or an I9 would work quite well too.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Oct 23 2017 4:48 PM In reply to

• cuspgirl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 7 2017
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Hiya, the festival got back to me finally and said I need either a DCP or a Prores file. And to send by 30th Oct! What do you suggest? Could you please advise? The DCP process seems too complicated... but should I try going for that route? Or Prores file? Not sure what the steps are either way :/ thanks a lot for your help.

• Mon, Oct 23 2017 7:41 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,216
    • Points 41,610
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

MC doesn't encode to Prores on a PC (it does on the Mac). There are converters for the PC out there that do. I use FootageStudio 4K by Acrovid. It can convert to Prores 444. But it's not free whereas DCP-O-matic is. There is good manual on the DCP-O-Matic site, as well as a user forurm that you can peruse. If you're going to go this route, I suggest getting it installed and started. It takes a while.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Oct 26 2017 2:45 PM In reply to

• cuspgirl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 7 2017
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Thanks a lot Dave. I use Mac so I can encode to Prores! For this route, would I simply do a video mixdown using the 'apple prores HQ' codec? 

Then bring that mixed down file into a new sequence (the only video content) and export 'same as source'? 

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller