Latest post Fri, Sep 8 2017 6:33 AM by luca.mg. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 2 2017 4:41 PM

Time Lapse

What is the best way to create a time lapse effect from real time footage?   Is there a limitation to how fast MC can speed up footage? 

MC 8.6.1 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sat, Sep 2 2017 9:55 PM In reply to

Re: Time Lapse

Terry Snyder:
    Is there a limitation to how fast MC can speed up footage? 
    Rather than speeding up I would be more tempted to keep a series of single frames. Keep 1 frame cut 30(?)frames, keep 1 frame cut 30(?) frames, ..... Repetitive and boring editing but I think the result justifies the time.

I experiment with timing on the most interesting part of the shot to determine how many frames to remove between each frame.

• Sun, Sep 3 2017 8:35 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 985
    • Points 11,230

AndrewAction:

Terry Snyder:
    Is there a limitation to how fast MC can speed up footage? 
    Rather than speeding up I would be more tempted to keep a series of single frames.

Isn't that what a 'both fields' time warp does?

Freelance - so all kinds of everything. Currently v8.6.5 on an iMac running OSX 10.11.3 (El Capitan) or v8.7.x on z420 running Win7Pro and Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]

Avid, Adobe, Resolve, Fusion, FCP7, FCPx, EVS, Tape, whatever.

EVS IPEdit and IPDirector bespoke training.

London editor.

• Sun, Sep 3 2017 3:24 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    Keep 1 frame cut 30(?)frames, keep 1 frame cut 30(?) frames, ..... Repetitive and boring editing...

Incredibly, excruciatingly boring, to say the least.  Is there any way to use a macro to automate this?

MC 8.6.1 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sun, Sep 3 2017 10:05 PM In reply to

TrevorA:
    Isn't that what a 'both fields' time warp does?
    I do not know Trevor so if it is it is a news to me.

Terry Snyder:
    Is there any way to use a macro to automate this
    I map a KB to do this with by mapping:
    Step 1 frame forward  to    F9
    Mark In to                        F10
    Mark Out to                      F11
    Extract to                         F12

When I know the duration that I want to cut out I go to the timeline and use the KB numeric pad "+" and type in the duration-1 (to allow for the mark out)   and Numeric pad  "Enter".  (MC remembers the last used number after the "+")

Then the Process is simple F9, F10, Numeric Key pad  "+" F11, F12..... repeat. If you have a Macro program installed then this should be a simple setup to make work.

• Mon, Sep 4 2017 8:29 AM In reply to

• v-block
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Posts 521
    • Points 6,600

I think TrevorA is right but it would require the process to be performed twice. Providing there is nothing to complicated things, such as the source frame rate not matching the project frame rate, it is simply a case of applying a both fields timewarp of 200%, 300%, 400%,... which will give you the skipped frame effect needed but just look very fast. You would then need to export the clip, 'same as source,' link to it and perform another timewarp to bring it back to it's original speed. If 200% was used then a 50% both fields timewarp would return it to original speed, if 300% then 33.33%, 400% then 25% and so on.

I would guess this would still be quicker than picking frames out manually, more so the longer the clip length.

Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard, Core i7 920 CPU, Win 7 Pro 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT610, 12GB Corsair 3x4GB CMX-12GX3M3A1333C9 ram in triple channel config... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:26 PM In reply to

• Telegram!
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 28 2006
    • Posts 989
    • Points 11,515

I tend to agree with Andrew on the plucking frames method. It's usually not good enough to simply replicate a random camera click on an already-shot clip: inevitably there will be an objectionable frame chosen that you will seek to improve on with a minor trim once you really get into it. Also, a two frame edit may look better, in some cases, so better not to burn any bridges.

Perhaps all that is still manageable using match frames on timewarps?  

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:34 PM In reply to

Thanks for the advice, guys.   I'm doing a TV commercial for a moving company where we'll show the movers emptying an entire room in 10 seconds.   I'm shooting a test with my FS7's S&Q mode and I'll also shoot the same action in real time and create the effect in post...and see which works the best.   Or maybe a combination of shooting a partial speedup in-camera and then enhancing the time lapse in post.   

• Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:47 PM In reply to

v-block:
    You would then need to export the clip, 'same as source,' link to it and perform another timewarp to bring it back to it's original speed.

Can you do a video mixdown instead of export/import and then apply the second timewarp?

• Mon, Sep 4 2017 5:03 PM In reply to

• Telegram!
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 28 2006
    • Posts 989
    • Points 11,515

Wow, after 21+ years I'm starting to learn this software...

On MC v8.8.5, I set up a 1200% Timewarp on a movieclip on timeline, and saw that I could add a Strobe effect in the TimeWarp editor.

Then I learned I could do a Sequential Graphic Export of just the In-Out on timeline. When I looked at my output folder of PNGs, I confirmed that it doubled each frame of my Timewarped Sequence... when did we get that Export add-on? Nice. 

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 6 2017 5:07 PM In reply to

• v-block
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Posts 521
    • Points 6,600

I sure you have already finished anyway but the only important details were to use timewarp speed increaments of 100% and 'both fields' setting. In your case you wouldn't want to slow it down to real time anyway, in fact unless a weird looking jerky effect was required, I don't know why anybody would want the clip back to real time.

As for being unlucky to include a dodgy frame or two, simply trimming the start frame by a frame or two should fix that or you could make an edit at that frame and trim it out. It would still take a lot less time and be easier to adjust that adding single frames.

That strobe setting sounds interesting, something else to play with.

Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard, Core i7 920 CPU, Win 7 Pro 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT610, 12GB Corsair 3x4GB CMX-12GX3M3A1333C9 ram in triple channel config... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 8 2017 6:33 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,035
    • Points 59,305

I second the strobe option, You can experiment with different rates. For a more camera like look You can use different layers, no export-import required: place the speeded up clip on V1, with no strobe, make another speedy clip with the same parameters and add the strobe effect, lay this on V2 and superimpose, add as many layers with different strobe rates as You like, but usually You do not need more than a couple. Enjoy.

MC 8.8, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller