Latest post Tue, Sep 18 2018 5:47 PM by Mark. 46 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 22 2018 2:21 PM In reply to

Re: MC 8.9.1 and Boris RED 5.5 Conflict

Andrew, back when I first encountered this issue, I did try turning off the hardware output (the little gear on the sequence interface) and this had no effect. It does it on three different DNxIO systems. -- I can try that again, but so far, the error has persisted. I did another Avid Collect last week and sent it to the engineers again. They thought the problem was fixed, but I assured them it was not. I even got an error in the console: 

"FatalExcpt Exception: DIDReader::XraiseUnexpectedStreamStatus async file system error."

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7810 - 32GB RAM - DNxIO - Nvidia Quadro M5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 23 2018 6:36 PM In reply to

I am using a DNxIO and have not run into any issues directly related to the hardware.  What we have found is that it seems more than anything to be a Boris issue with new C++ versions installed on your machine after 07/2017.  I am running 8.9.4 and deleted those new C++ versions that were installed when I initially put 8.9.3 on my machine in the fall and began seeing these problems.  After the deletion of those files, the two programs are working together reliably. 

The interesting case one of my co-workers ran into is that when he installed an update to his Wacom tablet, it required the install of certain newer C++ versions.  He had Boris Red 5.6 and MC 8.9.4 working well on his machine prior to that update, but that update caused the issues to re-emerge.

My take away thus far is that it is a Boris Red problem with any C++ updates from around August 2017 forward.  

• Wed, Jan 24 2018 6:39 PM In reply to

• MattB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 9 2006
    • Shepperton, UK
    • Posts 462
    • Points 6,290

Marc Cebrian:

Here is the memory error I get:

“There is not enough memory available to complete the operation. Please make more memory available by closing windows or quitting other applications, and try again.”

I have had this message on my 'edit 1' system when it was a windows 10 machine. I have a Quadro4000 graphics card and there is some incompatibility issue between it and Windows 10 (there are avid blogs / documentation on it). The advice was to roll back the graphics driver, which fixed the issue for me. Although I was having plenty of other issues that made me decisde to do a complete clean insstall and go back to windows 7

Might be worth rolling back the graphics driver.

matt

Edit 1:- Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz (self build) Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Mobo 24GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600Mhx memory NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (Nvidia driver... [view my complete system specs]

Matt B

• Fri, Apr 27 2018 4:34 PM In reply to

I haven't tried the Graphics Driver rollback, only because we've upgraded the driver twice since the issues began. I still have the issue with 2018.4. Avid Engineers are not sure what is going on. We're creeping up on one full years since I first reported this. Boris is still selling RED for Avid, so I guess most people don't have our issue.

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7810 - 32GB RAM - DNxIO - Nvidia Quadro M5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 2 2018 1:54 PM In reply to

This issue continues to be the bane of my existance. Most of the systems at my company are stuck at v8.8.5 because of this. We are heavy Red users and currently have over 70 licenses. We tried upgrading from Red 5.5 to 5.6, but it didn't help. I am on 2018.4 (the only system at the company) and the problem has actually gotten worse. With Red 5.6 installed, all of the choices in the effects palatte were labeled "obsolete" and Avid didn't recognize any effects carried over from older versions.  Rolling back to 5.5 fixed that, but Avid still crashes on these effects. My only workaround has been to turn off monitoring for the track with the Red effect, park on it and attempt to render.  Once Avid has crashed, a restart then allows me to render Red effects until I make a change.  Then it will crash again. I've changed my workflow to wait until the last minute to add any Red effects, then let it crash so I can restart and render everything at once.  It's frustrating as hell.

Work - MC v2018.4 on Win7 HP Z440 with TerraBlock and Avid Nexis storage Personal - MC/Symphony v2018.4 on Lenovo W530 Mobile Workstation Storage depends... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 2 2018 1:58 PM In reply to

Steve, sorry to hear that. You are far worse than us. We only have 3 systems. Have you contacted BORIS directly? I spoke with a tech and salesperson last year...maybe you can have more leverage than I. Particularly since they are still SELLING RED for Avid. If I were a new customer, I would not be happy.

• Tue, May 29 2018 12:15 PM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 27 2008
    • Norway
    • Posts 75
    • Points 990

Just chiming in - same problems here with Avid FX when upgrading from MC 8.6.5 to 2018.4.

Startet a thread before i found this one:
    http://community.avid.com/forums/t/184490.aspx

Perhaps the combination MC 2018 + Avid FX / Boris RED is not that common since not more people are seeing it. Here we're seeing it on all machines upgraded to 2018.3/2018.4. Avid FX mostly used for achieving transfer mode. Windows 7 HP Z420/430 quadro K2000 mostly. Tried a couple different nvidia driver versions. Rolling back to 8.6.5 and it's stable. Have not tried RED, but seems weird to replace EOL product with new EOL product. Continuum for transfer mode on offline machines is not happening. So will probably end with some kind of workaround.

Mostly hp z420/440 on Media Composer 8.x and Symphony 8.x Also Dell Precision m3800 | Win 10 | 16GB memory | Quadro k1100 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 1 2018 2:43 PM In reply to

• cheknews
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 1 2011
    • Posts 66
    • Points 870

I'm glad to see this is still an active issue.  I've been using FX, then Red for many years so I have a ton of old projects that contain FX/Red effects that I need to be able to open.  

I recently had a serious meltdown on my system and replaced it last month with a new box.  Xeon CPU, 32G ram, P4000 Quadro, W10.  I'm running MC 2018.4  

When I started having the issue on my old system I went on the Facebook group and Marianna suggested I contact Boris.  I opened a case and eventually received this response.

Hello Sir,

In this case, I believe you will just need to Close all associated programs
    (Closing as many programs as you can would be recommended) and Uninstall
    RED. After this, re-install RED but if you see any Matrox driver install
    option (there should be one in RED 5.6), don't tell it to install this.
    After this, see if RED still gives this error.

If so, Close all programs you can again and download & run this Microsoft
    Redistributable package, which will write the C++ resources that appear to
    be missing -
    https://www.hightail.com/download/bXBaSXQxaTE4Q1ExWjhUQw

After running this, Restart and try RED again; if the problem continues,
    even after doing this and reinstalling RED without the Matrox Driver
    option, tell re-run the RED installer and go with a 'Repair'.

Thanks,

Jon

I did as instructed and still have the problem.  I was uncertain as to what version of C++ to install, since the download contained a few, but I tried them all and nothing helped.  I'd love to see this resolved, I don't want to ditch Red any time soon.

MC 8.3, i7, 12Gb ram, quadro 4000, matrox mx02 mini, windows 7 pro, [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 1 2018 2:51 PM In reply to

Wow Jon, this is very helpful! I will try to see if this works for us. I had a dead-end with Boris a year ago...they never got back to me and did not reply to further inquiries. The Avid engineers have gone silent for over a month. -- This is much appreciated. I will let you know if we have success.

• Thu, Sep 6 2018 6:46 AM In reply to

• frediko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 27 2008
    • Norway
    • Posts 75
    • Points 990

So, is anyone successfully using Avid FX on MC 2018.x versions? We had it deployed on 50 machines to add transfer/blending modes in editing, but it's become apparant that we have to choose between MC 2018.x or transfer mode.

400$ pr machine to do blending mode (BCC key/blend) is hard to justify.

Interested in which setups that are still able to run Avid FX stable on 2018.x

Mostly hp z420/440 on Media Composer 8.x and Symphony 8.x Also Dell Precision m3800 | Win 10 | 16GB memory | Quadro k1100 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2018 1:33 PM In reply to

• oklaroma
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 12 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

frediko, I'm using it, but I would not define it as stable. 2018.8 and RED 5.6. I rely on RED mostly for moving images, but also some transitions. I run in to the common crash problems found throughout this thread. I've been in contact with Boris, but none of the solutions ever resolved the issue. I'd love to see this resolved.

• Wed, Sep 12 2018 4:52 PM In reply to

It's really too bad this application hasn't been updated in years and Boris is very "unresponsive' to technical support, even though they are still selling RED. I hope the redesigned version of Media Composer has basic COMPOSITE modes. Final Cut Pro 7 had these built into each clip and that is worth it's weight in gold. I am unimpressed with the customer service of Boris regarding RED.

• Wed, Sep 12 2018 7:24 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,714
    • Points 211,660
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey Marc

Can you email me the issue exactly with RED 5.5 and MC and I can introduce you directly to Jon at BorisFX and see if we can work thru this for you.  

testing today otherwise I wouldnt put this on you to email me....  sorry

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Wed, Sep 12 2018 7:37 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

I've been in contact with Jon since August of 2017. I was put into a que and the email strings ended with no resolution. I worked with John, Neal and even Vicky with Avid. I was told they were NOT going to update RED, though they are still selling it almost two years later. I've been in contact with their sales department and tech support.

I've done Avid BlackBox and exported every type of diagnostic you have. Avid points to Boris. Boris points to Avid. The issue is unresolved and is ever-present.

I plan on opening my case again with phone calls to Boris in October. I have a huge project I am wrapping up and cannot go through all of this again until then. Thank you for your continued attention and support.

Marc

• Wed, Sep 12 2018 9:06 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Annapolis, MD
    • Posts 335
    • Points 4,660

Marianna - I guess I'll chime in here...I had 3 MCs 6.5 with AvidFX/Boris Red (I don't have version off hand, but generally the latest at the time, as Red is my go-to effects and titling program. Last year I upgraded to MC 8.8.5 and Avid FX/Red. Boris used to crash about 25% of the time on launch or close. We used to tar-and-feather any editor who didn't save before trying to enter Boris and saving after exiting. This has been the case for almost 10 years. Now I've upgraded to MC 8.8.5 and Red still crashes..which floors me. I can't give you the version because I'm in the middle of a 15 video series and now Red won't even launch... of course right now that I need to deliver the job. Looks like we're going to re-do these. Uggg. When I upgraded to 8.8.5 I upgraded everything. Boris never had an answer for my problems. I don't know what I'm going to do since we now can't even launch Red. When I went to upgrade to 8.8.5 the Boris salesperson, Neil, indicated they are no longer developing anything within Red and is pretty much a dead application. Your concern would seem to leave to me think that's news to AVID. He told me all efforts were going to BCC10 Title Studio, so I bought that. (So far I've been having a real hard time getting my old head around Title Studio.) I've also dealt with Jon <jonk@borisfx.com> 

To get me out of my current jam: Do you know what version of AvidFX/Red works with MC 8.8.5? I'm wondering if I can re-install Red, I don't want to reinstall 8.8.5. I'm not sure how I got it last year when I wen to 8.8.5.

(SYTEMS: Win 7/64, HP-Z800, nVidia M4000, 96GB RAM. Nitris DX) (In the MC 6.5 days I had 2 HP-Z400, 1 HP-Z800 and Niris on them all. All were built by professional system integrators, DVG in VA.)

MC 8.8.5 w/Symphony option. NitrisDX, HP Z800 Dual 2.67Ghz, 96GB Ram, Nvidia M4000, BCC10, Sapphire10, TitlePro5, ProTools 10.5,Terrablock 24XS Multi-Write... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

Filed under:
Page 3 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller