Latest post Wed, Sep 6 2017 7:09 PM by Marianna. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 28 2017 2:59 PM

MC 8.9.1 and Boris RED 5.5 & 5.6 Conflict

Since upgrading to 8.9.1, I have noticed a conflict with Boris RED 5.5. When I apply the effect to a clip in my timeline, I get an error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library "This application requsted the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

This error is a hard crash that kicks me out of the software.

The project is 1080p2997 at DNx100

I have opened a case with Avid.

The Boris application still works. I will contact Boris RED support, as well.

Does anyone else have this problem?

MC will crash. If I relaunch and try again, then it seems to work.

We are on Windows 10. Dell Precision 7810. 32GB RAM

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7810 - 32GB RAM - DNxIO - Nvidia Quadro M5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 28 2017 3:42 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,196
    • Points 41,360
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: MC 8.9.1 and Boris RED 5.5 Conflict

I am unable to reproduce this error. I just tested against some 4K material, and the Boris Red 5.5 filter works without any errors. I tested both the standard and RT filter. Usually this kind of error indicates that you're using the wrong version of the run time library (and it's amazing how many application install custom versions of the C++ run time). You might want to try reinstalling Boris Red and see if that fixes it.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Aug 28 2017 3:47 PM In reply to

Yes, Media Composer 8.9.1 asked to install a customized version of Runtime. I remember that popping up when the application was loaded.

Have you tried applying a pre-built effect? Opening Boris and making an effect doesn't cause the problem. It is when I drag an effect I have used in the past from my bin onto my clip. 

The specific effect is Sharpen.

I should have been more specific.

Reinstalling Boris is a good idea, though.

Marc

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7810 - 32GB RAM - DNxIO - Nvidia Quadro M5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 28 2017 5:07 PM In reply to

I just uninstalled 5.5 and upgraded to the "last" verison of Boris RED (5.6.0) and this did NOT solve our problems. It is persisting. I am working with Avid to see if I can remove the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 v 12.0.40660.0 -- This must be causing the problem.

I have tried rebuilding effects from scratch with the new version. I have also tried having Boris RED open in the background while I work in Avid.

• Mon, Aug 28 2017 10:46 PM In reply to

Marc Cebrian:
    Since upgrading to 8.9.1, I have noticed a conflict with Boris RED 5.5. When I apply the effect to a clip in my timeline, I get an error:
    Not seeing this in a test here with MC 8.9.1, Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1, Red 5.5.1109, Project 1080P 25 and media DNxHD 185.  Tested as the first thing I tried after starting MC and opening an existing Project.

FWIW Having been seriously considering phasing Red out here for some time I have not bothered to installed it on a W10 system. (I could if would help with testing the issue) 

• Mon, Aug 28 2017 11:54 PM In reply to

Windows 10 is a must to test. It is very different than older Windows systems. It is absolutely the Microsoft Visual C++ causing the problem.

Boris IS phasing RED out. I talked to a salesperson this afternoon. They are moving everybody to Continum.

• Tue, Aug 29 2017 12:14 AM In reply to

Marc Cebrian:
    Windows 10 is a must to test.
    I will look at it later today. 

Marc Cebrian:
    Boris IS phasing RED out.
    Had similar conversation.  I just updated to 5.6 (End of the road for Red)  to see if it made any difference with W7.   It did not.

Marc Cebrian:
    They are moving everybody to Continum.
    When I brought my Red 5's they included a free upgrade to Red 6.  The support person today confirmed there wont be a Red 6 and offered a discount (of unconfirmed size) to move to BCC 10. For me I appreciate the offer but as long as the current substantial price differential exists between BCC for Avid and BCC for other NLE's and open FX Reasolve) I am not interested. 

• Tue, Aug 29 2017 12:16 AM In reply to

That's kind of a shame. Red was/is a great program. But I guess it just could not compete with After Effects' popularity.

MC 8.2, AvidFX 6.4, BCC 8.2, Squeeze 8.1, QT 7.7.3, Nvidia driver 310.90, Window 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, IE9. Quadro 2000 and 600 videocards (three... [view my complete system specs]

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Aug 29 2017 12:33 AM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Annapolis, MD
    • Posts 333
    • Points 4,630

I agree. Red was my go-to tool for effects and title tool. When I upgraded to MC 8.8.5 I was told AvidFX/Red doesn't come with MC anymore and I had to buy BCC, which was twice the price of the MC 8.8.5 upgrade. (I'm beyond frustrated with TitlePro 5.) But when I installed MC 8.5.5 my old BorisRed 6.5 effects all worked great, but was told by sales it would start to fail. So that was like $650 to get BCC10.

MC 8.8.5 w/Symphony option. NitrisDX, HP Z800 Dual 2.67Ghz, 96GB Ram, Nvidia M4000, BCC10, Sapphire10, TitlePro5, ProTools 10.5,Terrablock 24XS Multi-Write... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Tue, Aug 29 2017 1:37 AM In reply to

Marc Cebrian:
    Windows 10 is a must to test
    W 10 Pro test.

Still not seeing your issue in a test here with MC 8.9.1, Windows 10 Pro 64, Red 5.6, Project 1080P 25 and media DNxHD 185.  Tested as the first thing I tried after starting MC and opening an existing Project.

MC 8.9.1 was a full install the day it came out. (8.9 was uninstalled from CP) I let the MC installer install the default Microsoft and Pace requirement whilst installing.
    Red first installed 2 Microsoft redistributes then 5.6.  This is the first time Red has be installed on this system.

• Tue, Aug 29 2017 12:03 PM In reply to

It's still happening for me. I did an uninstall of 5.5 before I installed RED 5.6. I don't know if it removed the C++ files, too. It kept all the licensing information. There is some kind of conflict going on. Not sure to how to troubleshoot. I can try removing the C++ files, but from what I read online, it is not recommended.

Thanks for looking into it. I have a case open and I sent them my CRASH report.

I have also sent Diagnostic Tool Collect data. I was able to get the same timeline to crash on two different computers. I was able to get the timeline to crash with ONLY Avid effects (no Boris RED). I had 7 layers of picture in picture with a Quicktime/Alpha Matte on top. Same error.

I updated my Nvidia driver to the latest that Avid supports, but that did not help.

I might have to roll back MC 8.9.1 to a more stable 8.8.5 version. That one worked well, but there was a bug that was plaguing us.

• Tue, Aug 29 2017 6:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,581
    • Points 111,915
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hmm 

Let Boris respond as I communicated with Peter the product guy yesterday and he did say 5.6 was what shoud be used with 8.9 and 8.9.1

Can you hold off a day for them to respond?

whats the case # you have with them open?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Aug 29 2017 6:29 PM In reply to

Hello again, Marianna.

[Case : 03275411]

I have been in communication with Dennis Moraga. I sent him a Collect.

Someone else here in the Forum said he could not duplicate the problem on a Windows 10 box. But the fact it is happening on multiple machines and even once today WITHOUT a Boris effect, tells me it might be a C++ conflict with just how MC handles effects. We have a DNxIO, but I don't know if that matters.

Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Thank you,

Marc

• Tue, Aug 29 2017 6:51 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,581
    • Points 111,915
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Ahhhh

I thought you were chatting with Boris directly too.

I think we need you to do that in conjunction with us looking at it.

https://borisfx.com/support/open-a-case/

Reference the Avid Case # when doing so.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Aug 29 2017 9:42 PM In reply to

Marianna, I have a case and I'm working with Jon at Boris.

Something else to note with 8.9.1 - I am now crashing by importing Quicktime MOVs and AIF files. It doesn't bring me down entirely, but I get a white box that pops up that says I have crashed. The files do complete and I am able to save. This is may be a sign of bigger issues.

Marc

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller