Latest post Tue, Oct 3 2017 1:58 AM by DStone. 41 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 30 2017 10:17 AM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 602
    • Points 7,130

Re: MC 8.9.1 XAVC-S support. Good, but lacking common metadata.

I contacted nablet AMA support yesterday, their reply was;

"We will release an XAVC S plugin within the next two weeks. 

This plugin supports volume and clip linking, timecode and extracts a variety of meta data. It will also work on on elder versions of Media Composer down to v7.0.7"

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 48GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 780, DeckLink SDI 4K, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 8 2017 11:35 AM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 602
    • Points 7,130

I received an email today from nablet, the XAVC S plug-in has been released but I was surprised to see they are charging for this one.... $89.00.

Does anybody know how this works, Sony use to write the plug-ins for Avid and other edit software.  Did Sony license nablet to do that task.  I think this is the first XAVC plugin to have a price tag attached, will we see more of this in the future?

Will Avid fix their native XAVC-S plugin to be able to transcode and read time-code? Or does Sony restrict Avid due to licensing restrictions?

nablet plugin site;  http://www.nablet.com/ama-plugins/nablet-xavcs-ama-plugin/?mc_cid=8e069a0d37&mc_eid=08f1f19e7a

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 48GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 780, DeckLink SDI 4K, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 8 2017 1:02 PM In reply to

• Helpyou
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 25 2008
    • Posts 22
    • Points 280

Our eagerly awaited XAVC S Plugin for Avid Media Access is now available for just $89 (US)! It allows fast linking of XAVC S volumes and clips for native editing in Avid Media Composer. It detects time codes and a variety of metadata. It supports Media Composer versions 8.x up to the latest release, as well as version 7.0.7. The plugin is available for Windows 7 and later, and for Mac version 10.10 and later.

• Fri, Sep 8 2017 1:28 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,222
    • Points 41,700
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Drastic.TV has updated MediaReactor to handle XAVC-S as well. The single plug-in (not the entire MediaReactor package) is currently on sale through Eye Scream Factory for $49, and it runs on MC 6.5 and later. The link is http://eyescreamfactory.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=065a9f2583e0e581a6da4492d&id=817a879be3&e=66b8590bd0. Please note that I've not used either this or Nablets and can't make commentary on either one.

Personally if you're going to be on the latest version of MC, then I'd be tempted to wait for Avid to fix the bugs in the Avid generic plug-in and save the money unless you need a feature in one of the other plug-ins that Avid won't have (and I've no idea what those may be). If you're running an older version of MC that doesn't have the generic plug-in, then you now have a couple of other options besides rewrapping.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Sep 11 2017 10:20 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

DStone:
    Personally if you're going to be on the latest version of MC, then I'd be tempted to wait for Avid to fix the bugs in the Avid generic plug-in

Geeked Sorry, I can't resist it.

It has taken Avid just over 4 years and 4 months to get this far with their XAVC-S generic plug-in. I certainly would not be tempted to wait until they fix the bugs. Wink

Regards

Douglas

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 11 2017 1:06 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,222
    • Points 41,700

"Hey Mom, Douglas is picking on me!!!"

LOL!

For me it's a question of saving money. I don't want to spend for something I can get for free. Of course, I wouldn't suggest waiting forever, and as the GH5 problems may be related to this as well one would hope the generic plug-in will be a high priority fix.

I think a bigger issue is the metadata, particularly that provided by the Sony A7S/A7S II and the GH5. I don't have either one at the moment, nor do I have any reason to rent one in the near future, so it comes down to someone who has these cameras to try the various plug-ins and see what they do support. At the moment it's not apparent to me that the MC plug-in supports anything more than timecode. Both Nablet and Drastic.TV say they support metadata, but there's no list of what is or isn't provided (outside of timecode of course).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Sep 11 2017 2:16 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

DStone:

"Hey Mom, Douglas is picking on me!!!"

LOL!

Douglas, stop picking on Dave, or you'll be sent to bed without your supper Geeked

Dave, if you are lucky, my interjection may spur Avid on to get a fix done very quickly - just to prove me wrong.

Seriously, no NLE can do everything that their users want. If all NLEs could do everything that the other NLEs did, then there would be no point in having a choice of NLEs. It would be 1 NLE fits all. Vive la difference!

Regards

Douglas

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 12 2017 11:08 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,460
    • Points 58,280

I was actually surprised that Avid chose to develop support for XAVC-S. I presumed they would wait for Nablet to complete their offering. I suspect internal support was created to meet the needs of the MC|First market and not those of us running Media Composer. At any rate, it would be nice if their built-in implementation included proper time code and meta data support. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 8.9.3 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 10.0.6 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.5.2 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Sep 12 2017 2:01 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,222
    • Points 41,700

BarkinMadd:
    I suspect internal support was created to meet the needs of the MC|First market and not those of us running Media Composer.
    And I suspect that you are correct. If you look at my posts before MC First was released, I was already saying XAVC-S support was pretty much a requirement. That it took to the second release of MC First to get it was surprising. That it's going to take till the third release of MC First to get it right is a little disappointing.

One thing Avid has to fix is timecode support for the A7S series. That's pretty much a must. Otherwise you have to rewrap the clips to QT to get timecode, and that defeats the purpose of the generic plug-in.

Dave S.

• Fri, Sep 29 2017 9:46 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 602
    • Points 7,130

Just downloaded 8.9.2 and did a transcode of some Sony a7S XAVC-S footage 3840x2160.  The clip is aprox 23 minutes in length and I'm happy to say it transcoded without a problem.  I did two transcodes one DNxHR SQ and one DNxHR HQX just checking to see if it would transcode both low and high quality, no problems.  

• Mon, Oct 2 2017 6:10 PM In reply to

• JakedogNZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 14 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Is this a plugin? and is it going to support older MC versions? because that would be real helpful.

• Tue, Oct 3 2017 1:58 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,222
    • Points 41,700

The Avid Generic plug-in (which is what supports MP4/XAVC-S) is not backwards compatible. For older versions, check out the XAVC-S plug-ins from Nablet and Drastic TV.

Dave S.

Page 3 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller