Latest post Sat, Sep 2 2017 10:32 AM by tommix. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 26 2017 4:06 AM

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,085

A good friend has asked me question I can't answer

A good friend has asked me question I can't answer -- will an iMac support First?

I'm not asking if Avid has qualified the system.

I'm not asking if such a system can real-time play 1080p30 XAVC-S?

{ I assume XAVC-S will be IMPORTED (transcoded) to DNxHD, so by "run" I mean play a single stream with simple CC and dissolve transitions. }

Over decades when looking at the MC System Requirements I realized they had no connection to systems I had and yet my systems all ran MC with no problems. Only the OS version seemed to matter.

So, it would be far more useful to have answers to these two simple questions:

1) Does First -- with no background rendering -- NEED hyperthreading for 1080p30?    {If not, an I5 if OK.}

2) Will First make use of an NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1GB VRAM?    { I read the 750M is no longer supported in 8.9.1. Is this true because a 750M runs 8.9 }

Someone must know the answer to these questions.

• Sat, Aug 26 2017 4:55 AM In reply to

Re: A good friend has asked me question I can't answer

tommix:

I'm not asking if such a system can real-time play 1080p30 XAVC-S?

{ I assume XAVC-S will be IMPORTED (transcoded) to DNxHD, so by "run" I mean play a single stream with simple CC and dissolve transitions. }

The latest version of First has the Avid Plugin upgrade that will Link to XAVC-S.  So the Transcode to DNxHD may not now be necessary for playback.

How recent is the iMac?  Which OS version is it using?  Does it have 8GB's of RAM?

tommix:
    { I read the 750M is no longer supported in 8.9.1. Is this true because a 750M runs 8.9 }
    Not supported only means it has not been and probably wont be tested.  Historically this has probably meat it will probably work but it is at your own risk.

• Sat, Sep 2 2017 10:32 AM In reply to

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,085

Re: A good friend has asked me question I can't answer

"How recent is the iMac?  Which OS version is it using?  Does it have 8GB's of RAM?"

It will be bought new and so will have whatever OS Apple is shipping.

Yes, 16GB.

My question is only about graphics. I don't think I've ever tried MC on a Mac that only had a GPU built into the CPU so I don't know if MC will work with Intel GPU. Has anybody run this way?

Buying and bringing home an iMac and then trying First is not the best way to go. :)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller