Latest post Mon, Aug 28 2017 4:25 PM by ramz434. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 23 2017 4:02 AM

• brett
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 17 2010
    • tampa
    • Posts 36
    • Points 480

I need serious help

I just don't understand why Avid cannot handle 4k or even 2k video.  Extreme choppy and sluggish beyond belief.  I am turning down high paying jobs for 4k quality because Avid just can't ingest it... what am I doing wrong?  All of my friends on Premiere, final cut and resolve laugh that I won't switch... There has to be something set in the settings that makes it slow.. If you say edit in proxy mode i try... no change, change timeline playback still no change.

I know my computer can handle the 4k no problem (I've filmed projects in resolve that were in 4k and it was a breeze).

I'm running the latest avid and @3.2 6 core with 32gb of ram... do I really need to jump ship after starting avid at 13 years old in 1999?

For the love of god someone please give me some advice!!

graphics card gtx1070 - it's even choppy after a full render, editing on 4k monitor.

i73930k 3.2 6 core i7 with 32gb of ram GTX1070 1.5tb solid state drive in this system. [view my complete system specs]

3930k  32gb of ram.

MC 8.8

• Wed, Aug 23 2017 4:17 AM In reply to

Re: I need serious help

Could you answer some questions to let people narrow down the cause of your issue.

What is your source media format?
    How much source media do you have?
    Are you Linking to this media?
    Have you tried transcoding to low resolution DNxHR format  or low data rate DNxHD format for offlining?
    Is the 1.5TB SSD drive your media drive?
    If not what are your media drives?
    Do you have a RAID setup for your 4k media?

Thanks

• Wed, Aug 23 2017 4:37 AM In reply to

• brett
    • Not Ranked
    • tampa
    • Posts 36
    • Points 480

Could you answer some questions to let people narrow down the cause of your issue.

What is your source media format? XAVC converted to .mov then linked back into avid then transcoded to SQ
    How much source media do you have? rarnges...can be 5gb up to 100gb (weddings to real estate videos)
    Are you Linking to this media? I've imported smaller 4k files and I've transcoded the same files.
    Have you tried transcoding to low resolution DNxHR format  or low data rate DNxHD format for offlining? I have not, I'm not too sure how this process works, I've read editing offline in very low quality then linking back to 4k? 
    Is the 1.5TB SSD drive your media drive? Yes - I have a few TB on SSDs in the board and my C drive is a 1.5 SSD where avid projects are strored on.
    If not what are your media drives? All SSDs
    Do you have a RAID setup for your 4k media? No, but I hear that is lovely.

I edit every night and just think... there is no way all these avid people have to go through a million hoops.

A7sII ---> converter ----> new files saved to .mov ----> opened in avid ----> either linked then transcoded, or imported.

5D Mark III days ----> cards into avid = editing right away.

i73930k 3.2 6 core i7 with 32gb of ram GTX1070 1.5tb solid state drive in this system. [view my complete system specs]

3930k  32gb of ram.

MC 8.8

• Wed, Aug 23 2017 6:32 AM In reply to

Footage from the A7 is an issue with Avid as Sony still has not released a AMA plug-in for it.  There have been some comments posted that this will happen by the end of this year.

I have not had to deal with any footage from that camera but others here should be able to offer you a proven workflow.

If some footage from an A7 walked through my door today my first choice would be to make a Resolve (its free) 4k project.
    Add the footage to the media pool using a new bin for each media card.
    Make a Resolve timeline for all the media from a bin (in TC order)

Output a Resolve Roundtrip to Avid AAF for each timeline rendering to DNxHD 36.
    Open each AAF in a new bin in Avid.

Cut my project from this ("Offline" DNxHD) media.
    Export an AAF without media of my final timeline along with a AV movie.
    Open the AAF in my 4k Resolve project. Resolve will link the AAFtimeline back to the original 4k media. (already in the project)
    Add the Avid exported AV Movie as a reference video to the Resolve timeline.
    Check that all edits are correct and all media has relinked to the original.

Go to Resolves deliver page and export the timeline at 4K resolution in my delivery format.

FWIW Resolve now has a great audio editor available in the edit page so you could probably do some great audio tweak there rather that using the Avid timeline for fine tuning your sound track. 

• Wed, Aug 23 2017 8:44 AM In reply to

• brett
    • Not Ranked
    • tampa
    • Posts 36
    • Points 480

I actually have resolve. The free one I downloaded a few months ago. 

Very fluent playback, hated the timeline setting and the Windows that couldn't be moved. I tried what you suggested and was getting offline errors. Clips wouldn't show up of timelines wouldn't open. I tried to edit this project tonight in resolve but it's just not an enjoyable experience to edit in.  

I've been reading about macs tonight and I've never been so close to dropping avid and jumping over to FC. 

thanks for the replies man, I'm just at a dead end with avid. 

3930k  32gb of ram.

MC 8.8

• Wed, Aug 23 2017 1:26 PM In reply to

That "converter" step is significant - what are you using?  There are some shady converters that appear under multiple names, have a habit of existing mostly to get to the top of Google searches, spam forums like crazy, are doubtful in terms of malware safety, and often don't even work all that well anyway.

On a PC, there's a great tool with a bizarre name called "Dali's Mustache" which was formerly known as HDCinematics Convert.  It rewraps without transcoding to a MOV wrapper very quickly, keeping timecode and other data intact.  It also transcodes.  And it's completely free of charge now - or "pay what you want."

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 8.9.2 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 23 2017 5:37 PM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Diego
    • Posts 976
    • Points 12,290

I create a 4k project, link to footage then change format to HD, edit, change format back to 4k and output 4k file. No problems.

Media Composer 8.6 with Intensity Pro 4K, Lenovo P500, Win-7 64 Prof. 16GB RAM, Nvidia 2200, Sony FS7, A7S-ii, EX1, Lumix GH4, Ninja Assassin, Came-TV... [view my complete system specs]

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Wed, Aug 23 2017 6:42 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 119
    • Points 1,440

brett:
    I've been reading about macs tonight and I've never been so close to dropping avid and jumping over to FC. 

Don't give up -  I have had issues before and I either resolved them myslef or calledl avid for support.  I am

not a technical expert but there are simple things to try -  like different driver for the GTX card - removing hardware from the slots and checking to see how things run - testing your hard drives and checking thier speed-

if possible re-installing avid -  or try their support maybe they can remote your machine and see a problem.

I have used FC - the first couple of versions - It has it's uses -  but avid is a mature NLE in a far different league - stay with avid and see if you can get it all sorted out.

MC 8.9 - Win 10 pro, Asus PrimeZ270 with i7 7700 cpu, Quadro P2000,32gig memory, 500gig SSD system drive, WD 5TB,and 2TB media drive,matrox mini, external... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 24 2017 1:20 AM In reply to

I think Nablet is close of giving out a proper XAVC-S AMA plugin.

However at my very old PC, I can fine edit 4K HQ (rendering is of course slower as the formats go up).

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro 2000D(353.82)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 8.9.2 with Symphony • PhraseFind • ScriptSync Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital MediaVienna Frames

• Thu, Aug 24 2017 1:33 AM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Not Ranked
    • Long Island
    • Posts 150
    • Points 1,895

Are you trying to cut in 4K? Have you tried switching to HD or 2k to cut? Just because you are delivering in 4k w/ 4k footage doesnt mean you need to cut in 4k. 

Im on an older z400 with 24gb and an GTX1080 card, and while I dont have much of a problem cutting in 4k w/a low proxy - I still dont do it. 

Thats what offline cutting is for. Transcode to DNXHR LB or DNXHD 36 and cut in HD, switch the project to 4k then relink to your masters, mixdown/transocde to whatever DNX quality you need, color and export. 

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC8.9/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/Dual HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.11/MC8.6/NVIDIA GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 25 2017 7:55 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 387
    • Points 4,185

ramz434:

Im on an older z400 with 24gb and an GTX1080 card, and while I dont have much of a problem cutting in 4k w/a low proxy - I still dont do it.

Not to hijack the thread but...

Ramz, your system spec doesn't include the GTX1080 card. Did you replace your Quadro FX 3800 in your z400 with it? If so, does it work well? gtx1080 is a PCIe3 card; z400 has a PCIe2 MB. 

TIA

/mp

HP Z400, Xeon 4-Core @3.33GHz, 24GB ECC RAM, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB 10k, other: 7200 RPM drives, Mbox Pro 3, driver... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 25 2017 10:13 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    Footage from the A7 is an issue with Avid as Sony still has not released a AMA plug-in for it.  There have been some comments posted that this will happen by the end of this year.
    Then 2 days after posting this Avid releases 8.9.1 with support for this codec.  Yes

• Mon, Aug 28 2017 2:07 AM In reply to

• brett
    • Not Ranked
    • tampa
    • Posts 36
    • Points 480

thanks for the encouragement, I am buying that mustache software thing tonight... ive never done the whole edit in a low resolution format then link back...doesnt make sense to me really.

so transcode files in a 1080 project? edit that out...then open a new project in 4k and open the 1080 master folder and export will be in 4k?

3930k  32gb of ram.

MC 8.8

• Mon, Aug 28 2017 2:09 AM In reply to

• brett
    • Not Ranked
    • tampa
    • Posts 36
    • Points 480

I've got a gtx1070 in here... its all custom built my old card was a 750... i forget the name of it as of now but it was super common at the time.

3930k  32gb of ram.

MC 8.8

• Mon, Aug 28 2017 4:18 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Not Ranked
    • Long Island
    • Posts 150
    • Points 1,895

Thats the way to do it. You can relink in a 1080 as well then flip to a 4k to export - if youre AMA'ing to the master 4k files for the relink. 

Save a ton of HD space, HD read speed, and computing power cutting in an offline setting. 

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC8.9/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/Dual HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.11/MC8.6/NVIDIA GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller