Latest post Mon, Aug 14 2017 1:25 AM by Toby. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 12 2017 7:38 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Los Angeles, California
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Re: Some 'first' feedback :-)

I have now upgraded to 16gb of RAM, and same problem!

***********BUT I CAN NOW DESCRIBE THE PROBLEM BETTER********

Avid Media Composer First won't load the new 'dashboard' when it loads. It opens fine but then won't open the dashboard.

This is what won't load - this is taken from a tutorial video on youtube:

Dashboard from tutorial video

Instead, I get this:

To re-state, I am running Media Composer First on an HP Elitebook 2560p with Windows 10 Professional, and I'm running 16gb of RAM. (I originally had 4gb but upgraded to try to solve this issue but didn't work.)

PC tower: 2015 machine with Thunderbolt 2. Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4Ghz. 32gb RAM. 64 bit Win7 Home Premium. Avid 8.9.1 (as of late Aug 2017). GTX 760. Raid0... [view my complete system specs]

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Sun, Aug 13 2017 9:27 AM In reply to

• Pilot
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Tel Aviv
    • Posts 60
    • Points 720

Toby,

I can open the Media Composer | First only from the Application Manager window. Shortcut on the desktop does not work.

If this does not work for you, try to clean files in Windows Temp folder.  I needed first to kill all processes of Avid in Windows Task Manager and to stop all Avid Services for this .

It is not necessary to erase all files inside the Temp folder, but for not to get confused, it is better to erase everything - in any case, this operation is useful for such an operating system as Windows.

Then you need restart Windows and hope this time it help you to first open this "First" :-)

Media Composer 8.4.4/Symphony option/Windows 7 Ultimate SP1/i7-5820K/16GB RAM/X99-UD4-CF MoBo/GTX 750Ti 2GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 13 2017 9:46 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Thanks once again for all your help, Pilot! I really appreciate it!!

I didn't do the 'delete temp' thing, but followed lots of your other advice :-)

This is what worked for me:

1. Upgraded my RAM so that I had at LEAST 6gb (in my case, I went from 4gb to 16gb)

2. Uninstalled "First" totally, by clicking on the START menu and typing 'apps & features' then clicking the top option - "Apps & Features SYSTEM SETTINGS". Then clicking MEDIA COMPOSER FIRST and choosing UNINSTALL. Once this was finished, I uninstalled the other two items labelled Avid (App Manager and the Cloud Services)

3. I downloaded the latest version of the full Media Composer 8.9 to the root of my C:\ drive

4. I unzipped to a folder at the root of my c:/ drive

5. I installed the full version of Media Composer

6. Rebooted

7. Opened the Avid Application Manager then Preferences and clicked the Clear Cache button.

8. Uninstalled Media Composer - by clicking on the START menu and typing 'apps & features' then clicking the top option - "Apps & Features SYSTEM SETTINGS". Then clicking MEDIA COMPOSER and choosing UNINSTALL. Once this was finished, I uninstalled the other two items labelled Avid (App Manager and the Cloud Services)

9. Rebooted

10. Downloaded the latest Media Composer First to the root of my C:/ drive

11. I unzipped to a folder at the roof of my c:/ drive

12. I installed Media Composer First

13. Rebooted

14. Opened the APP MANAGER

15. Clicked on ACCOUNT tab and signed in

16. Checked that in the ACCOUNT tab it says "Media Composer | First" then 'Perpetual'

17. Clicked the APPS tab

18. Checked that next to 'Media Composer | First' there is blue text saying 'Open' - THIS WAS NOT THERE WHEN THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH INSTALLATION, FYI

19. Clicked the blue text saying 'open'

PC tower: 2015 machine with Thunderbolt 2. Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4Ghz. 32gb RAM. 64 bit Win7 Home Premium. Avid 8.9.1 (as of late Aug 2017). GTX 760. Raid0... [view my complete system specs]

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 12:55 AM In reply to

• Keith R
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 8 2012
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,320

Re: Dashboard doesn't load [SOLVED]

18. Checked that next to 'Media Composer | First' there is blue text saying 'Open' - THIS WAS NOT THERE WHEN THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH INSTALLATION, FYI

Hello Toby

Somewhat confused here are you noting Media Composer have fixed it  .. I have been following the forum posts to date and don't see any advice that there is a fix .. It's good if you have been successful finallly . I have no idea how a beginner would deal with it i have been an Avid user for over five years and nothing else is this hard :-

"NOT THERE WHEN THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH INSTALLATION, FYI

19. Clicked the blue text saying 'open' "  ..?

Regards

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 1:24 AM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

Hi Keith, I should have been clearer - I meant thatm when trying to problem solve, it is vital to check that the word 'open' appears as an option next to the Media Composer First entry in that APPS tab in the Application Manager. And that you MUST start the application from here, and NOT double click on the icon on the desktop. I know it's ridiculous, but true.

And yes, 'First' has a long long long way to go for it to be user friendly to install. So many weird errors and odd behaviors. Needs a lot of bug fixing!

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Mon, Aug 14 2017 1:25 AM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 61
    • Points 735

And I've been using Avid for 20+ years, and First was SO hard to install I almost gave up lol

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller