Latest post Tue, Aug 8 2017 3:07 PM by Mohd Azhar Ismail. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 8 2017 1:56 AM

• Scott Silva
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • East Stroudsburg, PA
    • Posts 45
    • Points 575

MCF Error: SYS_ERROR, OSErr: -5000

Media Composer First worked once for me, but have not been able to get back to my project because I keep getting this error at startup:  SYS_ERROROSErr: -5000

My disk permissions seem to be set to Read & Write on my system HD.  Is the problem that I do not have an external drive connected sometimes?  I currently have an external HD connected and read & write permisssions are set on ALL users on THAT external drive.  Still no luck.

Any ideas?

My system:

OS X El Capitan

MacBook Pro 17"

2.53 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB Memory 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB

Media Composer 8.8.4 with Symphony Option Mac Pro 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 OS X 10.10 OWC 12TB eSata External Drive Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 8 2017 1:40 PM In reply to

Re: MCF Error: SYS_ERROR, OSErr: -5000

I got the same problem today. It was working fine last night. No luck reinstalling the app. Anyone managed to solve this problem?

OSX El Capitan

MacMini Late 2016

3GHz i7

16 GB RAM

Intel Iris 1536 MB

MacPro 1.1 11GB RAM, ATI RADEON HD 5770. Avid Media Composer. 5.5.3, 6.0.1.1, 6.5.0.1 and Avid Symphony 6.5.2 are all on clients' systems. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 8 2017 2:30 PM In reply to

• Scott Silva
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • East Stroudsburg, PA
    • Posts 45
    • Points 575

UPDATE:

After about 1.5 hours, uninstalling, downloading the latest version & reinstalling MCF, restarting and relaunching, reading forums, google searches and STILL no luck.  I decided to go through every folder that had "Avid" in the name and check permission one by one.  I did come across a few that had some very "odd" owners.  There were several that had the owner with Read & Write privileges named "Fetching."  I took that to mean "fetching the name of the owner from some mystic land."  In all of those folders, I deleted that name and added my name & Administrator (which is also ME).  I assigned Read & Write priveledges to both.  There was another folder that had Read & Write privileges for the first two names - 1. Me, 2. wheel & the 3. everyone was READ only.  Just for the heck of it, I gave Read & Write privileges to the "everyone" on that folder.  Then I crossed my fingers and toes and restarted MCF.  To my shock and amazement, it started without error and I created a Temp project, saved it, shut down and went to bed.  I just hope the next time I restart the program, it starts up.  Total time chasing the problem = 3.5 hours

The error IS a permissions error.  You may need to investigate your folders and check the permissions everywhere Avid writes information.

Good luck!

Media Composer 8.8.4 with Symphony Option Mac Pro 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 OS X 10.10 OWC 12TB eSata External Drive Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 8 2017 3:07 PM In reply to

I did what you did and managed to get pass the error window using your method. I didn;t find the name Fetching but I add admin and my name privilidges to all related I restart and it works. Hope it works OK tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. 

Update:

I noticed the error occured when I placed the main project location on an external Hard Disk and did not mount it when I started the MCF. I'll try to replicate the problem after work.

Cheers

MacPro 1.1 11GB RAM, ATI RADEON HD 5770. Avid Media Composer. 5.5.3, 6.0.1.1, 6.5.0.1 and Avid Symphony 6.5.2 are all on clients' systems. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller