Latest post Wed, Aug 16 2017 8:55 AM by pierreh. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 7 2017 11:21 AM

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,131
    • Points 13,640

Following the 8.9 release

I wrote this on the PC forum, but I don't know if anyone at Avid reads the forum. So I'll try here!

pierreh:

Love the new narrow Audio Mixer! Finally I can have it next to my Composer window!

Whilst on the window subject: could it be possible to have a "floating" TimeCode window? It used to be the case years back, and I miss that a lot - along with the floating command palette between the Splice In / Overwrite arrows.

Like the idea of the track selector bearing different colors (green for the player side), but could we have the Record side matching the Interface color? I'm a big fan of purple instead of blue, it reminds me of vintage Avid and it matches the logo... but blue buttons in the Timeline ruin the visual aspect of the interface.

Having worked with the new narrow mixer, here is one short coming. Media Composer is great because you can do a lot without leaving the keyboard. The "old" audio mixer was using this philosophy as you could navigate through the faders without using the mouse. Frequent scenario: I need to lower the sound on track 1 and 2. I click on the fader for tk1, hit Shift+Down Arrow and the volume decreases by 1db on each key stroke. This works on the new mixer too. But... With the old mixer, I can then just hit Tab twice and the focus is now on the new fader, and I can lower its level. And I havent left the keyboard! This doesn't work on the new narrow mixer - at least on Mac. I do tk1 fader, then I have to go to the mouse, and then back to the keyboard to adjust tk2. If the new level is not pleasing, it's back to the mouse. Multiply that by the amount of time one uses the mixer each day, and I'll have wrist exhaustion within a week. Let's do as on the other social media: give this thread a +1 if you agree with the above! And let's keep Avid the most efficient NLE out there. Please don't become a new Premiere... mouse based editing is counter productive!
    - Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Nitris DX, 10.11.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 7 2017 9:30 PM In reply to

Re: Following the 8.9 release

pierreh:
    With the old mixer, I can then just hit Tab twice and the focus is now on the new fader, and I can lower its level. And I havent left the keyboard! This doesn't work on the new narrow mixer - at least on Mac.
    Have you tried at home and at work? (2 different OS versions according to your profile)
    Have you tried on timelines from earlier versions of MC and on new MC 8.9 projects?

I will try on a W10 computer later today. 

• Tue, Aug 8 2017 9:10 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,131
    • Points 13,640

Just tried on the other machine, the one running 10.9 (not approved I think, and it does get interface glitches for sure), but it's the same when it comes to not being able to navigate with Tab.

When I switch to the wide mixer, hitting Tab highlights the part of the window that becomes active, and can be driven by the keyboard.

Let us know what happens on Windows!

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Nitris DX, 10.11.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 8 2017 10:08 PM In reply to

Tried it here on W10 with a new MC 8.9 project.   3 Stereo audio tracks.
    With Mixer in standard Mode Tab x2 the selected volume slider moves between tracks. (Tab x 1 moves selection to Pan knobs)

With Mixer in the new narrow mode I got the same result as you. The tab key does nothing.  Looks to me as if the programmer may not have been aware of the tab function... nor was I Wink  so thanks for that. 

• Wed, Aug 9 2017 8:59 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,131
    • Points 13,640

Thanks for this test Andrew, now how do we make sure Avid knows about this issue and fixes it in the next release?

• Fri, Aug 11 2017 1:12 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,220
    • Points 13,295
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

pierreh:

Thanks for this test Andrew, now how do we make sure Avid knows about this issue and fixes it in the next release?

Hi pierreh,

I'll create a case for this add put Andrew CC'd. Can you shoot me an email with your MC systems ID

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 15 2017 2:04 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,131
    • Points 13,640

Ralph, did you get my email?

As I was saying, I'm witnessing a weird issue with the new narrow mixer. When the mouse floats above it, it becomes the fore-front window, as if I clicked on it. Which can lead to interesting (hmm) actions depending on where the window is located.

Anyone else has this?

• Tue, Aug 15 2017 5:17 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,220
    • Points 13,295
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

I sent it to support team, case number 03266846.

Regards,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 16 2017 8:55 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,131
    • Points 13,640

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller