Latest post Sat, Aug 5 2017 11:11 AM by pierreh. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 3 2017 11:21 PM

Media Composer v8.9 - Launched 3rd August 2017

Great news! Media Composer v8.9 has launched and is available on the Download Center (login and password required), Application Manager v17.7 and My Avid Master accounts for people with eligible contracts.

The ReadMe and Whats New Documents can be found at this link.  (IMO it is well worth checking out the Whats New Document)

Installer: There is a Media Composer v8.9 Mac and v8.9 Win Installer. No patch installers with this release.
    - New Nvidia Driver: Nvidia Driver v377.11 is supported with this release.

Changed in v8.9: The following has been changed in this release.
    - If you are on a Windows 10 or a Windows 7 system and have a Quadro 4000,K4000, or M4000 graphics card, DMF jobs might fail, background transcode and render jobs might fail, and you might see artifacts in the User Interface.

*** Workaround: On the Windows 10 system, install NVIDIA driver v342.01. On the Windows 7 system, install NVIDIA driver v377.11.

Fixed in v8.9: The following have been fixed in this release.
    - When your locale was set to German, Spanish, or Italian, a number of Media Composer dialog boxes displayed cut off text. Avid has made improvements when displaying these languages so the text is displayed properly. Also, a number of dialogs now include tool tips in the appropriate language. Avid will continue to make improvements with subsequent releases.
    - In previous releases certain DVCPro clips could not be linked. Now they can be linked.
    - If you changed the tape name of a clip, the timecode changed by the number of pre-charge frames.
    - Left Margin setting did not apply to a new script.
    - When “Interpolate Position” was disabled in Script Settings, Scripts were still imported with Interpolate Position enabled.
    - (Mac) When exporting EDL using “To several files,” V1 track files were not created.

- You might have received an “Assertion failed” error when trying to export an empty sequence to XDCam.
    - (Mac) Performing a background render ignored Source Settings LUT. Fixed in Media Composer v8.9
    - You might have corrupted output in the record monitor when you opened the Effect Editor of a rolling title.

- (Mac) The application would crash when opening Effect Mode on clips with a TV Noise Horiz effect.
    - (Mac) The editing application would crash while opening Effect Mode of an Animated Marquee title.
    - Importing two tracks increased the clip duration by 1 frame.
    - Changing local clip colors did not save if that was the only change you made.
    - In some instances after performing a match frame, shift clicking to select a range of clips in the bin did not select the clips.
    - When an AudioSuite rendered effect was removed from the sequence, you could not close the plug-in window.
    (Japanese locale) Sequences with names that included a CR (carriage return) or LF (linefeed) displayed as offline in Interplay Access. With this release, newly created sequences will remove any CR or LF from the name. For older sequences, you can manually rename the sequence name to remove CR or LF.
    - You might have received “Assertion Failed: minVBVLevel <= maxVBVLevel” errors when performing a mixdown of XDCAM media. Workaround: Enable the “Re-encode for XDCAM bitstream compliance” option in the Mixdown Video dialog.
    - When in the Source Browser, linking to an XAVC Long GOP volume did not work properly. This has been fixed. The latest nablet-Sony XDCAM plug-in is required for XAVC Long GOP volume support.

Known Limitations: The following are known limitations in this release.

- When working with HiRes monitors, if you are in Frame View, playing back a thumbnail is not in the correct position while playing in bin.
    - Occasionally, when working with media with effects or media where space, time or color adapters were rendered during transcode or video mixdown, you might see artifacts during playback or export. *** Workaround: Go to the Render Settings dialog and choose Disable GPU effects.
    - While working in the Script Window, text operations (cut/copy/paste/delete/editing) can only be done in edit mode. See “Editing a Script” in the Help.
    - When working with Panasonic LongG media, you might receive an “SFPlayConsumer Timeout” error if audio waveforms are enabled. *** Workaround: Turn off audio waveforms.
    - Multicam editing with Panasonic LongG media is not supported with this release.
    - Currently, when working with LongG media, you might see dropped frames when editing 4 streams. This might occur when playing from a single stream to multiple streams (and from multiple streams back to a single stream). The dropped frames usually display around the edit point (transition to a different stream).

How to obtain the Media Composer v8.9: The latest update to Media Composer is now available in My Avid Master Accounts, the Download Center and AppMan.

1. Customers who have already installed the latest version of Media Composer will be notified of the availability of the v8.9 upgrade via the AppMan. The Apps tab will also provide a link to download and install the update when desired.
    2. New customers who purchase Media Composer on or after August 3rd, 2017 will receive this v8.9 update in their Avid Master Account <http://www.avid.com/account>.
    3. Customers on current valid Upgrade & Support plans can download the Media Composer v8.9 and either update from their Avid Master Account or the Avid Download Center (login and password required).
    4. Customers NOT on a current Upgrade & Support contract that wish to upgrade to Media Composer v8.9 must purchase a new Subscription or Perpetual License.

• Fri, Aug 4 2017 2:23 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,009
    • Points 36,560

Re: Media Composer v8.9 - Launched 3rd August 2017

AndrewAction:

Known Limitations: The following are known limitations in this release.

- Occasionally, when working with media with effects or media where space, time or color adapters were rendered during transcode or video mixdown, you might see artifacts during playback or export. *** Workaround: Go to the Render Settings dialog and choose Disable GPU effects.

Is this a regression from 8.8.5?  Or was it never really fixed?

We are getting ready to upgrade a bunch of Mac based rooms to 8.8.5 because we thought this GPU render issue was fixed.  This Known Limitation in 8.9 has me VERY concerned.  What exactly is going on here????

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.4.5 / 8.5.2 | OS 10.10.x / OS Yosemite - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

New Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Aug 4 2017 2:29 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,086
    • Points 40,005
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

jef:
    Is this a regression from 8.8.5?  Or was it never really fixed?
    Avid never claimed that the issue was completely fixed, just that the occurrences were reduced. If you look through the forums, there haven't been a lot of complaints lately.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Aug 4 2017 12:11 PM In reply to

• JKL32
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 22 2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,925

No support for MacOS 10.12.6?

Avid Media Composer 8.6, BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor(Desktop Video 10.8), New Mac Pro 8 core, D700, 64g RAM, El Capitan [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 4 2017 3:58 PM In reply to

DStone:
    Avid never claimed that the issue was completely fixed, just that the occurrences were reduced.

Dave,

While I can't say if it makes any difference for today's practical situation, this sequence of events makes no sense.

After 2 patch versions were indicated in these forums (and at least in one readme. I need to check again) as to include improvements regarding a redunction in frequency of these artifacts occuring, we now have a new version with a known bug ID. Normally a bug ID comes before an improvement or fix is implemented but let's not get bugged down on a procedural issue.

The thing is that we need to learn if this version is supposed to include the same and hopefully more 'improvements' compared to previous versions or if this means the situation is unchanged or if we are dealing with another issue.

(However if I bug down on the procedural issue Wink I have other bugs reported with support since 8.6.5 which seem to be fixed in 8.8.5 but nothing can be found in any readme. Support assumes that 'my fix' is a positive side effect of another fix somewhere down the line. That might seem fine but if you have to update an interplay system inc Nexis storage with >20 clients with compatibilty restrictions and discover new bugs in those new versions (MC 8.7 + 8.8 and interplay 3.7) and need to know if these new bugs have been fixed in the latest release the bug fix id's and documentation become crucial.

Simply said you want to avoid the "Consolidate now works as it should but mixdown doesn't anymore. Oh you needed mixdown with every send to playback?")

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Fri, Aug 4 2017 7:56 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,086
    • Points 40,005
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    While I can't say if it makes any difference for today's practical situation, this sequence of events makes no sense.
    I most heartily agree. If it were me I'd make this the top priority for fixing (a render that may or may not be clean with no way of knowing without previewing all the frames is unacceptable).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sat, Aug 5 2017 11:11 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,098
    • Points 13,295

JKL32:

No support for MacOS 10.12.6?

And no announcement in the Mac section of this forum? Are we being abandoned by Avid? [:'(]

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Nitris DX, 10.11.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller