Latest post Tue, Aug 1 2017 1:55 PM by matimats. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 31 2017 9:29 PM

• matimats
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 31 2017
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Real time preview performance issue

Hi,

I'm a beginner editor and have only started to use avid media composer first. I'm having issues with real time preview, which is extremely annoying. It can handle a still 1080p shot, but when I add a simple distortion, a title or the shot becomes a little shaky (gopro mounted on my dog) it is very laggy and basically unusable, even after choosing the lowest quality. I'm using a Macbook Pro 2015, 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. I'm linking the media from my WD Elements (WDBUZG0010BBK) external hard drive - Up to 5 Gb/s with USB 3.0 formatted to Mac OS Extended, because I don't have enough space on my SSD. I don't know about the drive -> usb cable, because the original broke down and I bought a new one else where.

Any ideas what might be the problem here? I'm not asking it to fly on max resolution, but at least let it not lag on lowest quality with simple effects. Looking for cheapest solution here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #000000}

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #000000}

• Tue, Aug 1 2017 1:36 PM In reply to

Re: Real time preview performance issue

It depends on your workflow and the codec of the media you are using. I'm assuming you are linkiing to the source file?

Have you tried transcoding to a DNx codec like DNx90 or 120?

Also a single USB 3 drive can supply for a very short time at up to 5 Gb/s but that will drop to the sustained rate that will be much much less. Download and use a drive bench test app to see what the drive can deliver.

8GB RAM is the minium spec for Avid so again that won't be helping.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Aug 1 2017 1:55 PM In reply to

• matimats
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 31 2017
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: Real time preview performance issue

So I imagine except swapping the computer the most efficient solution would be to import the media onto the SSD drive?

I don't know about the transcoding, because I don't really know what these are yet, but I'll try to figure this out and give it a shot. Are there any more important settings to tweak in order to get better performance on lower specs? 

Thanks for the reply!

Edit.

Scratch that. I transcoded the media to DNx145 and it works like a charm!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller