Latest post Sat, Jul 15 2017 4:22 PM by Kenny. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 15 2017 6:28 AM

• Kenny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Pomona CA
    • Posts 68
    • Points 1,050

Need help with Media Creation setup and General temp setting

Just install 8.8.5 today and would like some suggestions on setting up my hard drives and SDD's for the best performance in Media Creation settings.  This is my setup.

C:\  500 Mb SSD for programs and OS

D:\ Optical drive

E:\ 1TB hard drive 7200 RPM which I name Export drive

F:\ 1TB Document drive for downloads, documents etc.

G:\ Drobo 5D 4TB connect USB 3 This is I store my video files and photos

M:\ 500 MB SSD which I name media 

S:\ 120 MB SSD which I name Scratch disk. ( As you can tell I have been playing with Premiere) :)

Note: Have no issue if I to install a larger SSD in future.  Planning on editing 4K in the future also.

Also under the project settings under General, it has C;\user\myname\appdata\local\temp\.  Can this be moved off my C: drive? If so what drive should I place it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

AMD Ryzen X1700 MB Asus Crosshair 6 Hero Asus GTX1070 8MB Memory 32GB Avid Media Composer 8.8.5 Symphony option [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 15 2017 10:50 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 327
    • Points 4,010

Re: Need help with Media Creation setup and General temp setting

Kenny:
    G:\ Drobo 5D 4TB connect USB 3 This is I store my video files and photos

Not sure USB 3 is really going to get you the data throughput you're looking for. I've had 4 drive USB 3 RAID enclosures that have barely made 140MB/s read and less than 100MB/s write. In theory, USB 3 should max out at around 600 MB/s, but I've never got near those speeds with anything I've attached to USB 3.

There's a tweak you can apply to the device settings that may improve things for an external drive. If you dive into Device Manager and open up the properties for your external drive, under the Properties tab, there's a setting for 'better performance'. It's worth reading the recommendation about using this setting and properly ejecting your drive.

For the future, especially with 4K, you really need to have SAS or USB 3.1/Thunderbolt interfaces to get the sort of speeds you require from externally connected storage. If your workstation has sufficient room, a couple of internal 7200 SATA drives striped at RAID 0 will often get you better performance than that achievable with USB 3.

Bruno

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 15 2017 4:22 PM In reply to

• Kenny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Pomona CA
    • Posts 68
    • Points 1,050

Re: Need help with Media Creation setup and General temp setting

Thanks, Bruno for the reply but I pretty much used the Drobo for media storage.  What I was thinking is linking the files and maybe transcoding them on my SSD M drive. 

AMD Ryzen X1700 MB Asus Crosshair 6 Hero Asus GTX1070 8MB Memory 32GB Avid Media Composer 8.8.5 Symphony option [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller