Latest post Sat, Jul 15 2017 4:46 AM by camoscato. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 14 2017 7:05 PM

Importing DV .mov video of transferred 8mm ftg into Media Composer

I have a 25 minute clip old old 8mm and super 8mm that was transferred to a thumb drive as a NTSC,  DV25 .mov file.  When I play it back on my Mac Pro using Quicktime, it looks good, as good as 50 year old film can.  However, when I import it into my Media Composer v8.5, the video looks like it has been "posterized".  The image looks terrible, all crunchy and grainy, almost as if it had been blown up in size and colorized. I can't figure out why it's happening and I see no place to change settings prior to import into my bin.  Any suggestions?  My project is set up for 4:3 SD video 30i at 720 x 486.

Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Jul 14 2017 7:19 PM In reply to

Re: Importing DV .mov video of transferred 8mm ftg into Media Composer

Does it look any better if you link to it using the source browser rather than importing it?

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jul 14 2017 7:52 PM In reply to

Sadly, it looks the same linked (AMA) or transcoded.  My other SD .mov footage from other sourses looks fine.

• Fri, Jul 14 2017 8:20 PM In reply to

Bruceedits:
    I see no place to change settings prior to import into my bin.

If you're using File > Import (or wherever "import" is in 8.5, I can't remember if they'd moved it in that version or not), you should get a dialog box asking you where the file is, and that box has a button that says "Options", which will open your import settings.

In there you can tell MC how to deal with the size and color settings of the file you're importing. Although it sounds like you're probably doing everything right seeing as your other imports are working, it's worth a shot.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Jul 14 2017 9:45 PM In reply to

Is there any way I can show you the difference between the pre-import video and the Avid imported video?  Also, maybe I should send the file into Compressor and change it to some other format before importing, does that make any sense?  I even Transcoded the Linked file in Avid to see if that would help, but it looked just as bad.  Thanks for your help.

• Sat, Jul 15 2017 4:46 AM In reply to

Bruceedits:
    Is there any way I can show you the difference between the pre-import video and the Avid imported video?

You can post screen shots.

Bruceedits:
    Also, maybe I should send the file into Compressor and change it to some other format before importing, does that make any sense?

Are there any obvious differences between the files that are importing ok and the one that's not? If so, you could use compressor to make the bad one match the good one. If not, I don't know that compressor is going to help.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller