Latest post Mon, Jul 17 2017 3:16 PM by Pat Horridge. 65 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 15 2017 2:56 PM In reply to

Re: Dropping Frames on Playback and Digital Cut - UHD 60P DNXHR LB

Hi Dave,

This red bar issue comes and goes, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.  Also, if this is the case, how come I *never* see this red bar ever on my HP Zbook G2? Also, I *disabled* the GPU, so this red line has nothing to do with the GPU, if the CPU is being used.

Makes no sense to me, very confusing to say the least. But yes, this red bar *does* affect Digital Cut, as it reports it to me and sometimes playback stops when a dropped frame occurs.

I ordered replacement parts for my machine:

An i7 7820X (8-core CPU) (latest generation) with 64GB memory.

Also, FYI, I tested this problem with my GTX 970, GTX 1080 *and* Avid-qualified P4000 Quadro.  All GPUs had this same red bar.  But take the same identical footage on my ZBook which has just 8 GB of memory and it never gave me a single red bar.

Avid, with their insistance on their "qualified" machines, to me is ridiculous.  They can't possibly test ALL machines out there.  This could probably be a software bug and nothing to do with my computer speed.  I can do 1080p/60 perfectly with the Quadro card on Premiere Pro with no dropped frames.

• Sun, Jul 16 2017 12:32 AM In reply to

OK folks.

I did more testing. 

On HD 60p footage, I had 0 dropped frames. Perfect. Using Blackmagic Video Editing Card ON and OFF.

On 4K 60p footage, I had 0 dropped frames if I turned off my Blackmagic Video Editing Card.  When I turned it on, I had dropped frames like everywhere on 4K 60p footage. You were right -- apparently the "on-the-fly" software downconvert that Avid does from 4K to 1080P causes this issue.

It is safe to conclude it is the Blackmagic Video Editing Card and not the GPU! And DStone you were right, that red bar was just a bug, can completely ignore it.  When I turned on stopondrop Avid command, it forces playback to stop on dropped frames. Well that's how I tested it.  Also, when I did a Digital Cut, even though I got the "skipped frames" warning, it's also something I can now ignore, because what I did was take the Blackmagic out to a shuttle and record SD video file.  Put the SD video file on top of the main V1 track of my HD source with a countdown in the beginning, then program, then another countdown towards the end of my program around 10 minutes, it didn't drop ANY frame, or SKIP anything. It was absolutely perfect.

So now I'm going to get the Decklink 4K EXTREME 12G version. That should make all of my dropped frames problems go away.  But i'm still investing in a brand new machine for better future proofing and performance:

(You think AVid can handle 10 cores?) :)

CPU

Intel

Core i9—9800 10-Core CPU 3.6 GHz

$1,000.00

CPU Cooler

Noctua

D15

$89.99

Memory

Corsair

DDR4 64GB RAM (2666)

$519.99

Motherboard

MSI

X299 Raider

$229.99

Video Card

Blackmagic

Decklink 12G-SDI

$1,020.00

• Mon, Jul 17 2017 1:36 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,057
    • Points 59,570

On my system setting the video memomory to 16 Gb within the Media Cache options helped playback a lot, but I didn't test this a lot, since given my hardware I prefer to edit in HD and later conform at full res. HTH

MC 8.8, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jul 17 2017 3:00 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,222
    • Points 41,700
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Sounds like a nice machine. You'll have to report back the core usage; I think this is the first I9 system anyone here has talked about. I think a lot of it comes down to how many threads Avid creates for renders and the like. Windows will allocate the threads across the cores, but I'm not a Windows internals expert and have no idea of the scheduling algorithms used. I'm interested in seeing your results.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Jul 17 2017 3:02 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,222
    • Points 41,700
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

luca.mg:

On my system setting the video memomory to 16 Gb within the Media Cache options helped playback a lot, but I didn't test this a lot, since given my hardware I prefer to edit in HD and later conform at full res. HTH

I've played around with the media cache settings, and have never seen more than marginal improvement.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Jul 17 2017 3:16 PM In reply to

Take care when looking for dropped frames in a playout.

Duration is rarely impacted. You tend to get a repeat frame rather than lose a frame or a corrupt or black frame.

Repeat frames are hard to spot if the contents not moving much. That said if you can't spot it then its not an issue but it doesn't mean there isn't an underling issue waiting to catch you out.

I'd never do a broadcast playout and ignore dropped frames.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 5 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller