Latest post Mon, Dec 11 2017 5:48 AM by tommix. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 15 2017 12:34 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,236
    • Points 41,875
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: First impressions of MC First

Vincent:

Dolby AC3 media not supported... why?

Like the previous post says, it's a license issue. For a commercial product to use AC3, you have to pay a license fee, so with MC First being free, Avid would lose money on every download. I haven't checked yet to see if MC First will use an existing AC3 CODEC if it's already installed on the system.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Jul 17 2017 11:07 AM In reply to

Here’s another anomaly. Make a title and save it. Command-double-click and the tile can be reopened, modified and saved as something else, provided the original media is still available. Now, make a title, save it and delete the media, but not the clip (or take the media drive offline). Command-double-click from the bin to reopen the title clip. Modify and try a ‘Save As’. You’ll find that ‘Fast Save’ is checked in the Save dialogue and the modified title cannot be saved with media. MC First does not have a menu option to recreate title media. Many new users will not have the knowledge to go to the Object menu in Title Tool and turn off Fast Save before attempting to save. I admit that it’s possible to save and create media either with a right-click in the Timeline or from the Effect Editor but again this will not be obvious to a first-time user.

I checked in the full MC and it acts the same way, but I’d never noticed this as I can use the ‘Recreate title media’ option.

The only reason I discovered this was by opening a bin with an NTSC title in it, in a 1080/25 First project. I was prompted to open and resave the title … didn’t work!

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.8.5, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 (oops) with MC 8.8.4. Very old... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Mon, Jul 17 2017 12:28 PM In reply to

There will be a number of oddities like that to be resolved. MC First is the same code base as MC and it looks like they are just locking out certain functions. Its going to take a few versions to iron out those bits and bobs.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Jul 18 2017 5:38 AM In reply to

• Pilot
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Tel Aviv
    • Posts 63
    • Points 735

And what about AC3 support? 

DStone:

Vincent:

Dolby AC3 media not supported... why?

For a commercial product to use AC3, you have to pay a license fee ...

Even if a new user wants to pay for an AC3 license, it is not known where to find it and there is no explanation how to install AC3 support into the Avid MCF system.

Only one solution is proposed for  first-time users right now - upgrade to full MC.

What is this kind of free program, if it does not have such a basic thing as direct access to files of the widespread in the world AVCHD format ?

For MC|First:Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / ASUS K54C/CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz/DDR3 8GB RAM/ Intel HD Graphics 2GB *For MC 8.4.4/Symphony option/Win 7 Ultimate x64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 18 2017 9:49 AM In reply to

Not great that a search for AC3 on the Avid store website returns no results...

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Aug 7 2017 10:53 AM In reply to

• Pilot
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Tel Aviv
    • Posts 63
    • Points 735

Only after installing new Application Manager ver. 17.7.0 and new Media Composer | First ver. 8.9.0  it became possible for me to run MCF without an internet connection, as it was intended for version 8.8.5. 

Marianna:

With Media Composer | First, a user needs to successfully log into Application Manager ONCE.

Unless the user specifically Logs Out, AppMan will hold onto the users information and Media Composer | First will continue to run. Even if the user doesn’t have an internet connection.

From there, even if the user quits Media Composer | First,  they do not need to log in again.

Lastly, with AppMan 17.6,  if a user clicks the “Clear Cache Files” button, they will be prompted with a message that this action will log them out. Therefore requiring a log in the next time.

Thanks.

For MC|First:Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / ASUS K54C/CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz/DDR3 8GB RAM/ Intel HD Graphics 2GB *For MC 8.4.4/Symphony option/Win 7 Ultimate x64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 17 2017 2:32 PM In reply to

• MRO
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 17 2017
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Can't agree more: what a great idea to release a free Media Composer version, but what a useless application if not supporting formats ike e.g; AC3 dolby audio. 

• Sat, Dec 9 2017 6:42 PM In reply to

If I remember correctly, Dolby's patents and its hold on AC-3 expired this past September. So it should be no big deal for Avid to add said support to MCFirst.

Although I appreciate the licensing problems, there should have been some kind of workaround supplied by Avid, even if it meant denying the end user access to the actual codec, but allowing footage with AC-3 audio to be transcoded to a different audio format that MCFirst can handle. With a good amount of camcorders out there having AC-3 audio, this is a serious impediment to most users.

I would like to be able to use MCFirst to edit my DSLR footage, but in its present form, it's all but useless.

• Mon, Dec 11 2017 5:48 AM In reply to

• tommix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,135

As Marianna posted, you need an Internet connection BUT ONLY TO GET THE APPLICATION MANGER RUNNING! Did you even try?

Yes, it doesn't import AC3 audio. But, if the poster had thought for even a second he would have realized why. There is a solution as there is a solution to no ProRes output on a PC.

The other claims of what MCF cannot do, IMHO fall on the user, not Avid. Other than some strange error messages (which I've not seen in several months) and the existence of several bugs--three of which I've reported, in 9-months I've had zero problems on Mac and PC.

Before I wrote a two part review of MCF I spent a month working with it. I didn't spend a few minutes and then post a rant.

To create my "Intro to First" I used a my "Intro to v6.5" as the source. Of course, updates were need--it's been years--but 90% was the same. And, the updates were improvements. So getting ~Media Composer for FREE doesn't seem a bad deal to me!

There are several limitations--did you not expect there to be? But, other than no 4K export I see no reason to update to MC. DNxHD 80 is perfect for manually uploading HD to Vimeo and YouTube. H.264 at BEST (multi-pass compression) is great. And, for quick uploads to V/UT you can do it from within MCF.

Seriously, what student or home videographer needs more--for FREE?

Today, many are shooting 4K. The reason is to support pan&scan. I haven't yet tried it, but I can certainly Link Import 4K from Sony FS5 and Canon C300. The problem is one can't Import 4K. Thus, one must edit 4K H.264. Problem on an older computer? Not really, simply render FX. But, Avid really should enable a 4K import transcode. [[ And, please use the NVIDA SDK so my GT1080 is used for the transcode! ]]

After 9 months--that's my only "wish."  Frankly, if you are still shooting interlace or NTSC or PAL -- your "wish" list should begin with your cameras.

{You don't need a Quadro and MCF works fine on Windows Home. And yes, it would be nice if Avid posted this!}

My rants:

1) Avid, for over 25 years you've continued to teach MC as it was created--a ~1990 mashup of film editing (yellow cursor) and videotape editing (red cursor). In 8.9.4 Avid finally has updated REWIND and FASTFORWARD!

I teach MCF avoiding Avid's mashup language as not only is it not needed--it makes no sense to the majority of students who have never seen, and never will see, a VTR. And, sadly, most will never "splice" film. Yellow is a "ripple" operation and Red is a "non-ripple" operation! No need to ponder what the is difference between "extract" and "lift."

2) Other than adding Smart Tools, Avid has been too scared of it's now old editors. Today, 6-year olds know you don't need to create a "segment" to work with multiple clips. They expect to be able to click on a clip and press Delete. And, I expect not to be interogated about what I want deleted. Plus, why do I need to confirm I want to Quit when I just Quit? And, MC should be able by now to do it's own housekeeping when a Project is done.

3) But, MC is what it is. Until Blackmagic can eliminate all the film scanning/printing stuff in its free version, integrate ripple editing into the toolbar, make proxy editing as simple as does FCPX, and document Resolve in fewer than 1000+ pages--MCF is the only free NLE. (Although Lightworks is coming on fast--if only they had decent PR.)

Bottom-line, Media Composer often drives me crazy as it has for 25 years--but, if you have problems with MCF, before you write do a little reading. Self-promotion follows:

https://www.scribd.com/document/357832327/Introduction-to-Avid-Media-Composer-First

Please wait a few days because 8.9.4 requires I make updates.

Steve Mullen

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller