Latest post Mon, Mar 19 2018 1:13 PM by RalphFoster. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 28 2017 11:09 AM

Using FrmC counter in Timecode Generator

I have a subclip into which I have added a frame count into the "Frame Count Start" Column.

When I view that clip in the source monitor I can change the timecode window above to display Source>V1>FrmC and I get the correct offset framecount displayed.

However when I try to use Timecode Generator to burn those  numbers into my export, I can't find a way to access that FrmC counter. Is it possible?

There is an option in Timecode Generator called called "Source Frame Count Start" but that doesn't represent any offsets when the front of the clip is trimmed in the timeline. Seems like a bug.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 28 2017 10:26 PM In reply to

Re: Using FrmC counter in Timecode Generator

From memory, you need to select Absolute time, and click the frames option to do that.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 30 2017 1:06 PM In reply to

Hi Job,

Absolute time gives me another number but doesn't reflect the frame count as entered in Frame Count Start.

To explain in detail.

I have a subclip and assign a Frame Count Start of 1000.

I cut that subclip into a sequence but trim the first 10 frames off and park my blue line at the start of the clip.

If I change the timecode readout above the record monitor to SOURCE>V1>FrmC it shows me the correct Frame number of 1010.

However if i use the timecode generator to display Source Frame Count Start, it shows 1000. It will still advance with each frame but does not reflect the offset caused by the trim.

Feels like there should be dropdown in the timecode generator to display FrmC instead.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 19 2018 1:13 PM In reply to

• RalphFoster
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 84
    • Points 955

Did this ever get fixed?  I'm looking at this in MC v8.8.5 and getting the same.

I was really looking forward to using the Frame Count Start to track Animation/VFX pulls and count sheets using this collumn without having to resort to the DPX or VFX counters that I have used in the past for this purpose.

But if FrmC is not reported correctly in the Timecode Generator that kind of defeats the purpose for me.  It always seems to start at the "Frame Count Start" bin column entry for that clip and counts up from there regardless of cut in point.

Any body got a work around or a later version of Avid in which this is fixed?

MC 8.8.5 OS X v10.11.5 QT 7.6.6 on Local USB3 RAID [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller