Latest post Mon, Jun 19 2017 3:12 PM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 16 2017 6:43 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 6,140

Proble with media offline.

Hi all, I seem to remember a fairly easy way to point Avid to a new hard drive with my media on it. You went into the "Avid Media Folder" and deleted a single little file, then on re-start, Avid would find the media on the new drive. Anyone able to help me here? I moved media off a hard-drive in order to re-format it, but when I moved it back, it was in a folder (John's Backup), let's say, and now the project timeline shows "media offline". I know there is a simple fix for this, but can't seem to remember it. Have TMB syndrome (Too Many Birthdays). Help?  Thanks in advance.

• Fri, Jun 16 2017 7:15 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,165
    • Points 12,645
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Proble with media offline.

bushfilm:

Hi all, I seem to remember a fairly easy way to point Avid to a new hard drive with my media on it. You went into the "Avid Media Folder" and deleted a single little file, then on re-start, Avid would find the media on the new drive. Anyone able to help me here? I moved media off a hard-drive in order to re-format it, but when I moved it back, it was in a folder (John's Backup), let's say, and now the project timeline shows "media offline". I know there is a simple fix for this, but can't seem to remember it. Have TMB syndrome (Too Many Birthdays). Help?  Thanks in advance.

I hope this FAQ does the trick.

Thanks,

RalphC

This is a test. Media Composer 8.8 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 19 2017 2:57 PM In reply to

• Guy Malou
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 26 2008
    • Posts 172
    • Points 2,230

You can delete the *.pmr and *.mdb files in each folder.

You most likely did it like this BUT...

make sure that

1 - the folders with the avid media in are named numerically (1, 2, 3, 18547 etc.)
    2 - the folders with the avid media in are all in one folder named MXF
    3 - that this MXF folder is an another folder named exactly Avid MediaFiles
    4 - and that this Avid MediaFiles folder is located on the drives root level

Only then MC is able to "see" and scan the folders.

After scanning and indexing you can rename the folders with names containing also letters.

MC 8.8.4 | Symphony Option / HP Z420 / WIN 7 PRO 64-bit SP1 / certified NVidia driver + QT version [view my complete system specs]

·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸
      ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 3:12 PM In reply to

bushfilm:

but when I moved it back, it was in a folder (John's Backup), let's say, and now the project timeline shows "media offline".

Thats your problem.Avid can only see media in the correctly names flder structure from root level down.

John's Backup isn't part of that nor can it be.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller