Latest post Tue, Jun 27 2017 1:46 AM by BobbyMurcerFan. 44 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 14 2017 7:53 PM

Free Symphony with reinstatement - only for upgraders/expired licenses?

I see this promo through the end of June, paired with a similar email I got from Videoguys - for a limited time, the Symphony option is free for those who "upgrade" an old perpetual license of MC for the upgrade price ($399 on Avid.com).

http://www.avid.com/special-offers/upgrade-media-composer

How does this work for existing customers?  Is it:

1) Symphony is also included in existing customers' $299 annual renewals if purchased through 6/30, or:

2) This product at $399 is intended as as an annual support renewal as well (essentially, in this case, ongoing users who renew for yet another year are priced exactly the same as users who have let their old MC licenses lapse) - renewing support, and adding Symphony.

3) This is only available to customers who have let their support lapse, and existing customers must pay $799 or whatever it is to add Symphony to their existing licenses.

I can't imagine it's #3...

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.11.6, Avid Media Composer 8.8.4, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 15 2017 2:35 AM In reply to

• Telegram!
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 28 2006
    • Posts 956
    • Points 11,145

Re: Free Symphony with reinstatement - only for upgraders/expired licenses?

Is there no longer a Symphony specific Forum sub-category? I was going to ask if there were *any* possible downsides to opening previous MC Projects in a new Symphony-enabled version, Saving it there, but later needing to open that Symphony-saved project in a standard MC....?

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 15 2017 5:40 AM In reply to

• damien78
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 7 2014
    • Zurich
    • Posts 10
    • Points 100

I asked my reseller and the answer unfortunately seems to be 3...no option for customers with active plan. I find it hard to understand why people not currently on plan have advantages loyal custormers don't have. I was considering Symphony option but if it stays as it is, I would rather go for another option like Baselight. Very disappointed...

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 9:24 AM In reply to

If it's #3, that's disappointing to say the least.

If it's not #3, the messaging on both Avid.com and to the resellers doesn't seem very clear.  Videoguys doesn't clarify - and B&H doesn't seem to carry or promote this particular offer at all.

Definitely don't want people to be wishing they hadn't renewed, especially if it was recent.  But I get the feeling there's something in place for existing users that hasn't quite been conveyed... let's get an official policy from someone before jumping to a conclusion.

Avid, especially with Marianna, has a history of doing this kind of thing in a way that's fair to everyone.

Still, no matter what, I wish there was a little more time - I know if I talk folks into renewing this month rather than waiting until near expiration in November, it'll take a week or two to talk them into it, then put the order through and we'll run out of time, especially if it's not something B&H carries.  Hopefully this is a sign of coming Symphony-option-related deals in the near term anyway...

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.11.6, Avid Media Composer 8.8.4, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 15 2017 10:32 AM In reply to

• damien78
    • Not Ranked
    • Zurich
    • Posts 10
    • Points 100

You're right : possibly it has something to do with the announounced new color correction tools... hope there will be a fair option for people currently on plan. Any hint from Avid will be more than welcome.

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 11:56 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 315
    • Points 3,900

Whichever way this goes, some people wll invariably lose out. If Avid do open this up to all MC users, anyone who purchased the Symphony option in the last few months is going to be mightily p**sed off. I imagine this isn't going to run into thousands of users, but that's little consolation to those effected.

Same thing must have happened when Blackmagic dropped the price of Resolve to $299, and I'm sure there'd been a healthy number of purchases of Resolve upto the NAB announcement.

If I were Avid, I would announce that it was available to all users, extend the offer by a couple of months and also reveal details of the new Colour Correction toolset they intend to have in Symphony. I'm sure they'd get many more MC users taking up the offer if they could actually see the benefits they'll be getting with the upgrade!

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 15 2017 1:55 PM In reply to

• damien78
    • Not Ranked
    • Zurich
    • Posts 10
    • Points 100

I prefectly understand that deals are part of the game. But right now, as a freelancer, I'm thinking that I'd better let my plan lapsed at the end of the year, invest that money in another color correction tools like Baselight for Avid and wait for the next offer in few years. In the current situation, I'm no longer consider buying the Symphony option.

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 2:37 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,278
    • Points 108,140
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Everyone...

Wasnt aware this was proposed so I am qorking on getting info from the folks that pushed this out to the world.  Before you all go nuts on us... let me see what the heck is going on.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 9:07 PM In reply to

• Kate Ketcham
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 3 2008
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 14
    • Points 260
    • Avid Employee

Hello everyone -

Marianna asked that I share some information with you regarding the current reinstatement offer.

Avid has launched a promotion for Media Composer users who either let their upgrade and support plan lapse, or who were never on a plan, to get their systems on a plan and start receiving important software updates and support.  While we’ve run similar limited-time promotions in the past, we’ve sweetened the deal by including the Media Composer | Symphony Option. We added this extra incentive to encourage users to get back on a plan now as we do not plan to offer another reinstatement program in the future. And because this is a limited time offer, we want to make sure they are aware and take advantage of it.

While members of the Avid community who have stayed current and consistently renewed their upgrade and support plan are not able to benefit from this offer, Avid plans to offer other promotions later this year that will benefit different groups of users, including our most loyal customers who have faithfully renewed their plan each year. We can’t share the details at this time, but we wanted to assure all of our Media Composer users that we’ll continue to strive for exceptional value in all of the many products and offers we make available.

Kate Ketcham
    Sr Manager | Media Composer Product Management

Avid
    75 Network Drive
    Burlington, MA 01803
    United States
    kate.ketcham@avid.com

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 10:08 PM In reply to

Thanks for the insight, Kate!

I do love the invitation to extend a great offer to past customers - and appreciate the info that current users should see relevant offers later this year.

However, here's the math as I interpret it, and it may be the first thing people think when they go to the Avid Store or see the emails from their re-sellers:

1) FORMER Avid customers can get a year of support, and add the Symphony option, for $399 per license.

2) CURRENT MC customers can get a year of support, and add the Symphony option, for $1,098 per license.

That's $299 for renewal, then $799 just to add the Symphony option because this offer does not apply to them.

Not a good look - especially as this offer actually would be valuable to many current MC customers for $399 - add a year to your current MC license(s), and add Symphony tools immediately.  Not bad, especially if a customer would find the Symphony tools valuable now, or their support expires, let's say, July 1st, regardless of what may be coming down the road!

That said, thanks for the insight regarding other promotions later this year for current customers.  It would be nice if communications in the Avid store and from resellers included some messaging for current customers on this one (and EVERY time there's something for new/former customers) - either offering it to them as well, or a "hey, we see you, sit tight, we promise you'll love what we have coming for you!"  As it is, it's confusing - customers may find this offer valuable, then go to purchase it, only to realize it's not valid for them because they're current.

New-customer promotions are everywhere.  In most cases, it's for a product that existing customers already have, at a special price for new customers.  Current customers paid more "back then," but they've also had the chance to use that product for more time.

In this case, however, you're offering a steep discount on a product (Symphony option) that's ALSO something that may be desired by current customers - both the new and current customer might not have the Symphony tools yet.  However, in this rare case, the current customer pays not just a higher price, but a higher price many times over, for exactly the same result - a year of support, and adding the Symphony option.  I hope Avid reconsiders this.

It appears this could have been a little better thought out in order to ensure the communication was clear to customers, resellers, and colleagues.

Once again, thanks for clarifying, and I look forward to seeing what Avid offers later this year - personally, I'd love to see the Symphony tools rolled into Media Composer as a unified product.

• Fri, Jun 16 2017 7:05 AM In reply to

• damien78
    • Not Ranked
    • Zurich
    • Posts 10
    • Points 100

I paid for my support plan to keep it active since the beginning. During these years, I never received any substantial promotion. Perhaps it will change, but right now, it didn't happen. 

I was considering buying a new colour correction tools for documentary work : Symphony option was high on my list, because even if Symphony colour correction tools were not up to competitors solution, it offers the best integration with Avid. Yesterday I see your offer only to discover that I can't benefit from it. To sum up, I have to pay 799 USD while it is offered "for free" to some of your potential customers. It's not hard to understand why it won't happen. I won't pay for a professional tool that you give up for free to some of your customers. Perhaps in the future there will be some interesting offers, but you mentioned nothing specific, in particular concerning colour correction tools.

The big picture has been well described by usatraveler in his new post. It makes me thinking about new strategies to adopt against your marketing practices, and reconsider the added value of my subscription plan. 

• Fri, Jun 16 2017 11:48 PM In reply to

• nicov
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 7 2006
    • Posts 185
    • Points 2,330

Hi Marianna,

I've just bought the promotion to update and old mc license at the end of the last offer a month or so ago, I rushed a bit because of the posts you've made to advice that it was the last chance, the last day, only to find out next day that it was extended till june 30th and now this... I wasn't in a hurry and would have gladly waited to benefit friom the included symphony option that's now added to the deal... i was kind of hoping that with the new subsscription models avid had made things clearer as far as pricing but it jus reminds me of the old days where it was near impossible to anticipate future costs of upgrading and crossgrading... Not a great incentive to keep clients up to date... Well, it's frustrating to say the least...Maybe a good idea would be to offer the symph option to those who bought in the offer just a few weeks before, just maybe ;)

Best,

Nicolas

OSX 10.5.5 / MC 3.1.3 / Mojo DX / octo 2.8 Macpro / 6g ram / Ati 2600 + Ati 3870 / 2x Nec 19' + JVC DTV24 / Sony HVR M15 / 2To sata raid0 / [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 17 2017 7:25 AM In reply to

Kate,

I understand how difficult it might be to try to make everybody happy especially when you need to incentivize new people to return to your platform. Having said that, I think you should have thought a bit more about the repercussions of such offer to your loyal customers who year after year keep renewing their contracts to support Avid. It does leave a bitter taste and makes me think if I should renew next time.

How about this for a possible solution? Let us also participate in this offer, we pay $385 or whatever this offer is, we get an additional year extended to our support contract, and we get Symphony for free. I think we all win and it's fair for everyone.

• Sat, Jun 17 2017 7:34 PM In reply to

• ns400r
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 9 2011
    • Nova Scotia/Toronto
    • Posts 28
    • Points 450

This is silly. Why not make it for those that are also on a plan right now? The details were vague in the offer so I also renewed early - only to find out now that I am out of "luck"

Who decides these "offers" anyway? I understand getting people back to Avid but what about those that have paid and kept up to date?

Getting more tired of Avid these days and I've been on Avid since the Nuvista days. This may just be my last renewal...

MC8.6.1, WIN10 - Dell T7500, Dual 5660 Xeon, 48GB ram, K2000D, GTX780SC, 12TB mini-sas, 12TB USB 3, Davinci Resolve Studio 12.5.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 17 2017 8:52 PM In reply to

• Telegram!
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 28 2006
    • Posts 956
    • Points 11,145

I sometimes think about those "non-perpetual" Monthly Subscription plans regularly shown over at the Avid.com store that include the Symphony option @ $49/mo.   (and sometimes discounted at year's end, as I recall)

or this:

Media Composer 3-Year Subscription Agreement (Paid Upfront)  $1,259.00 - doing the math, that is $299 x 3 (for Support x3), plus one gets not just the Symphony option, but the other software extras for approx $120/year.

I agree that it is hard to see the Symphony option tossed in as a "sweetener" to entice wayward former customers back to the fold, but it's not like Avid isn't trying to provide a variety of options for all kinds of customers. That said, perhaps there could be a loyalty/points system to reward the perpetual true-believers and multiple-seat licensees, like myelf, who probably do not tie up the support phone lines all that much.

It will be interesting to see the upcoming offerings.

I had one Symphony-activated MC Dongle that I let fall off the grid a couple years ago at v8, to save $$, so I am eligible for this deal. I do appreciate the outreach.

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller