Latest post Mon, Jun 26 2017 6:39 PM by bushfilm. 38 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 20 2017 8:37 AM In reply to

Re: Export headaches!

Personally, I like enabling the "Clip Color" option in the timeline for linked media.  That way, I can see which timeline clips are linked.

From there, you can select the SEQUENCE, use "Consolidate/Transcode" on it, and enable the option in that dialog to process linked media only.  Maybe consider enabling the option to "create new sequence" way at the bottom of the dialog too.

The end result will be your existing sequence stays intact, and you'll get a new one, plus a whole bunch of new clips for the media that was linked.

Or, just do all your consolidating / transcoding at the beginning of the project, edit with those native clips, and export QT-Refs along the way because everything in your sequence is already Avid-native.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 8.9.2 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 20 2017 3:56 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 469
    • Points 6,415

Thanks, will give this a try.  I noticed that MC wouldn't import .mts files, but when I AMA linked the clips, I was able to use them. That sound right? Thanks again.

• Fri, Jun 23 2017 9:41 AM In reply to

It depends where the MTS files came from.

Would this be from a AVCHD camera?  If so, if you have the structure from the camera card intact (you ALWAYS should, whenever possible), what works even better than linking to the files themselves is to link to the VOLUME that contains the files.  For AVCHD, what you do is link to one level ABOVE the "PRIVATE" folder (could work with the "AVCHD") folder as well.

What does that do?  It incorporates the rest of the metadata in the folder structure.  If a clip was split into multiple files due to file size limits in the camera, the clip will now show as a single clip in your bin.  You'll also get the proper timecode.

Note that AVCHD plays poorly, so you'll probably need to transcode it before doing anything useful with it.

If you shot that AVCHD in a "PsF" format - which is how many AVCHD cameras do progressive-scan formats - note that you'll need to manually tell MC that the files should be treated as progressive.  In your bin, enable the "Field Motion" column.  If the clips are "interlaced" and shouldn't be, then select them all, switch one to "progressive," and the rest fill follow suit.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 8.9.2 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 25 2017 5:14 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 469
    • Points 6,415

Hi and thanks...

I don't see a "Private" folder on footage from this camera. It's a Sony HDR-CX330, just a little home movie camera I use for grandkids and stuff. My real camera, a Panasonic GH-4 does create a "Private" folder but the footage is not AVCHD.

Can I link to the folder that simply has a date on it? I was going to start copying all the date folders to my hard drive before editing; will your method work there as well? I don't know if all the metadata is important for my non-professional projects, so maybe just linking to all the clips would do?

And finally, after all the transcoding, etc., will I see much of a difference between shooting 1080i and 1080p? This camera doesn't exactly have a Zeiss lens on it, so I wonder if it would really make a difference visually?

Thanks again, you've been very helpful!

• Sun, Jun 25 2017 11:31 PM In reply to

Not quite sure about the CX330 and how it works.  I don't know what you can link to - all I can really say is try a few things and see what gets the clips to show up.

Regardless, I've run into issues linking to Sony AVCHD before.  Same for Panasonic AVCHD.  You might not be able to link either way - all I can say is try and see what happens - whether to the root folder, or to the individual files.

Generally speaking, copying folders to your hard drive - yes, that's fine.  General rule is whatever you do, keep the folder intact - don't move things around within it.  Treat a card's folder the same way you'd treat a tape - don't break it apart.

If it doesn't link or import, you may need to use a third-party tool to rewrap the files so that you can link them - one reputable one that works well and keeps data intact is Convert - by HDCinematics.  I was going to say it's a paid app, but it looks like that's about to be end-of-life, but being directly incorporated into their tool named "Dali's Mustache," which looks like it's going to be "pay what you want" - paying more if you want tech support.

As for 1080i / 1080p - I'd say probably just transcode to whatever your output format is going to be.

• Mon, Jun 26 2017 10:18 AM In reply to

Shooting i or P is about smoothness of motion on moving objects.

But it depends on what you plan to output as.

Shooting 50i (avid calls it 25i) and outrputing interlaced will look smooth

But if you need youtube or web then it will likley be progressive so you may as well shoot 25P

You could of course shoot 50i and output to 50P but the file size would be twice the size.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jun 26 2017 4:49 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 469
    • Points 6,415

Thanks, Pat....but my little handycam only offers two flavors, 60i or 60p. It's just a home movie camera, the only other options are "Standard, High, or Highest Quality", whatever that means. So not many choices here. So far I've shot everything 60p at "highest quality" setting, and after ingesting (linking) into Avid, transcoding and outputing to a .mov file, the video looks amazingly good. Not Varicam good, but for YouTube, family, etc., more than adequate. In some cases, I would have to say that it looks as good as far more expensive cameras, though it takes a bit of color correcting, etc. to get there. And you have to be careful shooting it, so that the video isn't overexposed. Thanks again for your help!

• Mon, Jun 26 2017 6:11 PM In reply to

Nice - if you're shooting everything in 60p (really 59.94p), I'd recommend doing that in a 59.94p project (assuming you're in a recent version of MC!  I think 1080p59.94 was added around 8.2 or 8.3 - not sure which).

Note that this is treated as a completely different frame rate from 59.94i (and 29.97p).  That's because 59.94p is 59.94 full frames per second.  59.94i and 29.97p are only 29.97 full frames per second.

Therefore, if you're shooting everything as 59.94p, then no reason not to edit in that.

• Mon, Jun 26 2017 6:39 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 469
    • Points 6,415

Hi,

Unfortunately, I am still stuck in the 7.+ versions of MC. Since i retired from the biz, I can't really justify the expense of keeping up with everything but i refuse to give up my beloved Avid MC. So I muddle along the best I can, usually with good results. Thanks for your reply!

Page 3 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller