Latest post Mon, Jun 26 2017 6:39 PM by bushfilm. 38 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 14 2017 9:03 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 6,140

Re: Export headaches!

Wow, you guys are very helpful!  While I'm getting lessons, maybe I can squeeze in one more? I don't use AMA because I don't really understand it and when I tried using it, it seemed to cause more problems than it is worth. I have it turned off in my system. So...I was wondering what the advantage is to even using AMA? Can you enlighten me here, 'cause I've not had good luck with it in the past.  Thanks again!

• Wed, Jun 14 2017 9:16 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 6,140

After downloading MediaInfo, I discovered that the material I digitized into Avid was a long MP4 clip, probably a copy from the original footage. To quickly explain, this is some concert footage, shot by a third-party and given to the main guy in the band, so he could use it for other purposes. So I'm guessing it was input into some editing software, where they added a slate, then it was output to an MP4 file, which is what the musician brought me to edit. So I am not working with original footage, only an MP4 copy of it. That's why I don't know what format was used in the original production, only that it is 16X9. I created my project as "30fps,NTSC" in order to be safe with it. Should I have used a different setting for this material? To sum up, a music concert, switched live, recorded on something and then input into some editing software, then output as a single slightly over one hour MP4 clip, to which I am adding titles, credits, etc. in order to use it as a stand-alone program. Make sense? I hope so :)  Thanks again for all your help...I truly appreciate it.

• Wed, Jun 14 2017 11:09 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,091
    • Points 40,065
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

MediaInfo give you a lot of information, including resolution and CODEC used. This tells you what project settings to use. What does MediaInfo report for the clip in question?

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 2:35 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 6,140

MediaInfo reports clip as: 720p at 30fps, MP4, then AVC. I'm guessing that last item is the CODEC used. In my earlier post, you'll see that I didn't get the original footage but, most likely, an export from some editing software.

Thanks!

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 2:53 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,091
    • Points 40,065

OK, so what you want is an HD 720p/29.97 project. The media is stored as an MP4 using the H.264 CODEC and is 1280x720 (a 16x9 format). You should use Link rather than import.

Linking (formerly AMA) to a file really just means that you're going to use the original media. When you import, MC will create new media. There are reasons for importing, particularly if you want to edit using a CODEC that doesn't play well on your system. This is not one of those cases.

The reason you may have had problems in the past with linking might be due to not setting up your projects correctly.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 3:11 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 6,140

Thanks, Mr. Stone! Ok, this is my last question, really. I've not used AMA (linking) in the past, how do I turn it on so as to not have to import and create new media? This sounds like it would be very helpful. At the end of the project, what do I need to do to be able to export the material to a Quicktime movie file?

Again, you've been VERY helpful! Thanks so much.

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 3:35 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,091
    • Points 40,065

Right-click in the bin and choose Source Browser (or use File->Input->Source Browser). Find the media you want to use. At the bottom of the source browser is a pair of radio buttons, one for Link and the other for Import. Select Link.

For export, select the master sequence in the bin and use File->Output->Export to File. In the dropdown box, choose Send to QT movie. Click on the Options tab and choose Same as Source and 16:9 display ratio.

If you have Sorenson Squeeze or other encoder, you could also export as a QT Reference file and use one of those to create the final QT movie (they have more media creation options).

BTW, it's David or Dave. The only people who call me Mr. Stone are small children, lawyers, and the students in my karate class.

Dave S.

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 3:50 PM In reply to

For my final outputs I often do an Audio and Video mixdown in whatever flavour Avid codec I need (to be above or equal to the qality I need to output) I then build that as a final output sequence. A SAS export gives me a self contained file of a known codec quickly. A QT ref would also work and be sure to have no odd media in it. But I prefer an actual output I can save, archive re-AMA back in later.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 3:52 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 6,140

Thanks, David. So just to be certain, I should create a bin for my raw clips, then follow your instructions; right click in bin, select media, click Link, and then Im ready to edit? Sounds too simple, but I'll take it.

Again, thanks so much for your help, and i have a feeling you'll be hearing from me again! Have a great weekend and don't hurt yourself in those Karate classes!

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 3:56 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 6,140

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could find a tutorial that takes a few clips, and then walks us through the process of editing, mix downs (where necessary) and final export to a variety of formats? I know there are many ways to do this, and I should probably experiment on my own, but there are so many combinations, I thougt I might cut to chase, as they say, and get some help from experts. Thanks!

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 5:50 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 349
    • Points 4,070

try this maybe

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/67003.aspxhttp://community.avid.com/forums/t/67003.aspx

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 15 2017 8:08 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 6,140

Working so far, will keep you posted...thanks.

• Fri, Jun 16 2017 5:31 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 6,140

When I clicked on it, got a "bad request" message. Can you check on it? Thanks!

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 6:09 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 6,140

Hi Dave,

When I tried to export as a Quicktime Ref, I got a message "unable to...AMA linked footage". Apparently, MC will not allow for a QT Ref movie export if the footage is AMA Linked. Do you know of a way around this; probably something simple, I just am not acquainted with? I am trying to avoid the time-consuming process of exporting a full QT movie, which I then have to encode to something smaller and more useful. Thanks!

• Tue, Jun 20 2017 12:58 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,091
    • Points 40,065

Linked material need to be transcoded before you can create a QT Ref., which kind of defeats the purpose in this case. Try exporting as a QT Movie using the option Same as Source. This dumps the timeline in the project format as a QT movie (e.g. a 720P h.264 encode). If you've already rendered the timeline, it's reasonably fast.

Dave S.

Page 2 of 3 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller