Latest post Sat, Feb 24 2018 11:29 PM by RiddleDab. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 12 2017 5:26 PM

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Command Snap-To-Edit Not working

Hello everybody,

So this is a new one for me: I did a clean install of Sierra yesterday and then installed Media Composer 8.8.4. Everything seems to be working fine, except that I can no longer hold down the Command key to force the playhead to snap to an edit. Command-Option no longer works either. Been doing this for close to 20 years, and it's driving me crazy. Can anybody point me to a setting that may have been changed, or something?

It's NOT the "position bar snap" or the "segment drag snap" settings, btw. I never use those, and checked that they're not selected.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 12 2017 6:13 PM In reply to

Re: Command Snap-To-Edit Not working

Works here on El Capitan...

Have you tried a new Avid user?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jun 16 2017 10:38 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

I'm at my wit's end here. I just uninstalled and re-installed Media Composer. I've repaired permissions. I've tried new users. And Command-drag is no longer snapping. Here's a link to a YouTube video showing what's going on. MC 8.8.4. OSX 10.12.4.

https://youtu.be/0_fBvaDmUG4

Chris Conlee

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 16 2017 11:57 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Seriously. I've now rolled back to MC 8.8.0, and it's still not working. I've swapped keyboards. Still not working. I've upgraded to 10.12.5. Still not working. WTF!?! This is making Media Composer basically unusable. Anybody have a clue what the hell could be going on here?

• Sat, Jun 17 2017 6:35 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Mystery solved, for anybody who's the least bit interested: I finally did a wipe of my hard drive, and re-intallled the entire OS and all my apps from scratch. Media Composer snap worked as anticipated. Then I installed my virus scanner: Webroot, and suddenly snap didn't work anymore.

To confirm, I disabled Webroot and voila -- snap worked as expected.

Long story short: Webroot for Mac screws up Media Composer's Command-snap feature. I really like Webroot otherwise, so I guess I'll just disable when editing.

Chris

• Sat, Jun 17 2017 6:54 PM In reply to

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 6 2011
    • Costa Mesa, Orange County, California
    • Posts 107
    • Points 1,250

conleec:

Mystery solved, for anybody who's the least bit interested: I finally did a wipe of my hard drive, and re-intallled the entire OS and all my apps from scratch. Media Composer snap worked as anticipated. Then I installed my virus scanner: Webroot, and suddenly snap didn't work anymore.

To confirm, I disabled Webroot and voila -- snap worked as expected.

Long story short: Webroot for Mac screws up Media Composer's Command-snap feature. I really like Webroot otherwise, so I guess I'll just disable when editing.

Chris

Wow!  You were really lucky to discover that!  Usually it's always that one unknown thing that causes Media Composer to not behave as expected.  I guess I'll stay away from Webroot.  Anti-virus software always has a habit of complcating things.  Had you not discovered that, I was concerned that you would kiss Media Composer off forever.  Glad the problem had nothing to do with MC.

Avid MC v2018.12.2, macOS Mojave 10.14.3, iMac 21.5-inch, late 2015 (purchased new on Jan. 2017), , Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory: 16 GB 1867... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 17 2017 7:41 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Andrew:

Wow!  You were really lucky to discover that!  Usually it's always that one unknown thing that causes Media Composer to not behave as expected.  I guess I'll stay away from Webroot.  Anti-virus software always has a habit of complcating things.  Had you not discovered that, I was concerned that you would kiss Media Composer off forever.  Glad the problem had nothing to do with MC.

LOL, no, i wouldn't kiss MC off forever, because it's how I make my living day to day on episodic television. But when my home system goes haywire, it drives me bat-sh*t crazy. I've been with it for nearly two decades, and will be with it until the bitter end, I'm sure.

BTW, Webroot is really good, and other than this unfortunate side effect, I haven't noticed it causing any other slowdowns or problems. It found two trojan horses attached to recent builds of FileZilla, by the way, so it's worth having something.

Chris

• Sat, Feb 24 2018 11:29 PM In reply to

• RiddleDab
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 120

Same problem. Your fix worked for me as well. Thank you so much for posting this. I couldn't use Shift mouse drag either. It was driving me crazy. Turned off Webroot and everything is working as it should. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller