Latest post Thu, Nov 2 2017 1:28 PM by Marianna. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 12 2017 3:28 PM

• Blackburst1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando, Florida
    • Posts 38
    • Points 490

Crashing on Exit and when using effects and AMA

I've had a solid system for years now. After upgrading to 8.8, I'm experiencing a lot of issues. I've been in touch with support and I've been installing all the latest updates up to 8.8.4 now...

The issue is primarity crashing when using basic effects (CC, resize, keys & mattes) and when working with AMA files. Also it crashes when closing the app almost every time. Strait cuts on DNxHD media, very stable.

Support has had me clean reinstall Media Composer and wipe user profiles & preferences... hasn't helped. Can anyone lend some advice?

System Specs:

- Avid Media Composer 8.8.4
    - Dell 7910 Workstation
     - Dual Xeon E5-2630 v3 8-core 2.4Ghz
     - 32GB ram
     - AMD FirePro W7100
     - Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Monitor
    - Windows 10 64 bit

- Avid Media Composer 8.8.4 - Dell 7910 Workstation - Dual Xeon E5-2630 v3 8-core 2.4Ghz - 32GB ram - AMD FirePro W7100 - Blackmagic Design... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 12 2017 3:54 PM In reply to

• Blackburst1
    • Not Ranked
    • Orlando, Florida
    • Posts 38
    • Points 490

Re: Crashing on Exit and when using effects and AMA

Follow up questions:
    - On the v8.8 Readme Doc for compatibility:
      - it says Quicktime version 7.7.9 for Windows, and then in the notes it says "Quicktime is not supported for Windows 10". What does that mean? Isn't pretty much everyone running Windows on 10? Does that mean I should un-install Quicktime?
      - Nvidia drivers are specified, but I'm on a qualified AMD video card. Why aren't AMD drivers specified here? What is the recommendation for AMD driver version?

- Avid Media Composer 8.8.4 - Dell 7910 Workstation - Dual Xeon E5-2630 v3 8-core 2.4Ghz - 32GB ram - AMD FirePro W7100 - Blackmagic Design... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 16 2017 4:55 PM In reply to

• Blackburst1
    • Not Ranked
    • Orlando, Florida
    • Posts 38
    • Points 490

Thanks for all the replys! [sarcasm] In case anyone else is having the same issues, it turned out to be the AMD FirePro video driver version. The document specifing the driver version is vague and not clear. I tried an alternative and it's back to being rock solid. Really alarming that after numerous contacts with Avid support, they didn't catch the driver version, even with me including it in my initial complaint details. 

• Fri, Jun 16 2017 5:18 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,718
    • Points 113,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Balckburst 

Apologies for not catching this one..... Raff is out so it is me against the world - here, Facebook, twitter etc....

Where you using the 16.50.2701 driver or did you install that and it worked?  Which one solved it so I can educate support.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 4:25 PM In reply to

• Blackburst1
    • Not Ranked
    • Orlando, Florida
    • Posts 38
    • Points 490

Thanks Marianna,

I was using 15.20.1045, because in the doc in specifically listed my display adapter model (W7100) in a list for that driver.

In the paragraph above for 16.50.2701 is says 'one driver for all' but listed specifially HP workstations (I'm on a Dell) and didn't list my model # by name, so I thought this driver wasn't for me.... Turns out I DID need to be on 16.50.2701. And that made all the difference, from crashing multiple times a day to being rock-solid.

• Mon, Jun 19 2017 5:16 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,718
    • Points 113,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Blackburst....  

Good to hear - now to have the doc be a little more specific.  :)  off to bug people.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Nov 2 2017 12:27 AM In reply to

Mmm this made no sense for me. I'm having the same problem. Was working off an old version for years and now the system crashes a lot on the same project (I'm on the latest Avid version). It crashes for AMA stuff as well and when I want to use the edit effect tool whther it be a shortcut or in the menu. 

• Thu, Nov 2 2017 10:53 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,465
    • Points 58,325

MargueritedeB:

Mmm this made no sense for me. I'm having the same problem. Was working off an old version for years and now the system crashes a lot on the same project (I'm on the latest Avid version). It crashes for AMA stuff as well and when I want to use the edit effect tool whther it be a shortcut or in the menu. 

Can you put your system specs and GPU driver version in your signature line? It might help others help you. Thx

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 8.9.3 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 10.0.6 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.5.2 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Nov 2 2017 1:28 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,718
    • Points 113,695
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BarkinMadd:

MargueritedeB:

Can you put your system specs and GPU driver version in your signature line? It might help others help you. Thx

Spot on barkin..... we need to know what you have in order to help.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller