Latest post Thu, Jul 20 2017 9:27 AM by loki. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 5 2017 1:57 AM

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,530

Exception: Failed to setup a sample provider

Hello,

I am at my wits end trying to finish a show and the clock is ticking.

We are just starting a annual series I do and as I have been going through teh first episode I noticed AVid started to get very sluggish. Suddenly it got to the point where Media Composer would just hang and I would have to force quit.

I though the problem was from using some 4K DNxHR footage and flexing it down to 1080. I prerendered those as 1080 DNxHD files and replaced the footage. Everything seemed good and then it started to get sluggish again.

It got to the point that if I had all 3 layers of video (Layer 1 - Main content/Layer 2 - Watermark/ Layer 3 fonts or graphics) MC would hang. I read about using the PL key so I mapped that to my keyboard and it worked great! Or so I thought. That let me get to the end of my editing but now as I try ot export the show I get this error

Exception: Failed to setup a sample provider!

I have no clue where to go now but I need to get there quick! Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

John Barata

Macpro cylinder late 2013

OSX yosemite 10.10.5

64gb of ram

Media Composer 8.8.3

Symphony option

• Tue, Jun 6 2017 5:31 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 8,424
    • Points 110,025
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Exception: Failed to setup a sample provider

Roach13

I havent seen that error before.   what kind of a graphics card do you have?  

Usually sluggish behavior occurs when their is either a timeout happening or the activity on the Mac is being tested.  Is the application manager open?  If so, close it.  Also can you pen the activity montior and provide any insight into what if anythg is hogging the system?

Also, it is possible that the media is on a device that is not fast enough to support it.  Many usb2 card readers (for p2 cards, or for dslr cards) are not tested for throughput, so that could be a cause. To resolve this Copy the structure of the card  to a folder on an internal hard drive, then AMA link to it again.   Does that chang the behavior?

Corrupt media. Corrupt  media can also cause this behavior.  Try to AMA linking to different media of the same format, and see if the issue is limited to just one Card (corrupt or damaged card), or just one shooting day (bad camera firmware). 

Also see if you can eliminate the error with only 2 layers...  report back

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 6 2017 9:35 PM In reply to

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,530

Thnkas Marianna,

I found the culprit and it was a watermark that I was using in my show. A simple .png overlay. Once I deleted that everything was better. Or so I thought!! I just openned up another project which I had finished a few weeks ago but teh client asked for some extra exports and I can't open any of the timeline because i keep getting teh same error. All my media has been copied over to my Lacie 8big 24TB raid.I just did a speed test and I'm getting write speeds of high 700's and read speed just under 1000 MB/s so I don't think that would be the issue.

I'm going to try to quit the application manager and see if that helps. The corrupt media made sense in the last video but it would be odd to have that again in this project.

Any other insight?

• Tue, Jun 6 2017 9:38 PM In reply to

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,530

I just looked at the activity monitor and MC is of course at the top and then AvidOpFrameGeneratorApp is next and quicktimeOpServer is not responding. Not sure if any of this means anything

• Fri, Jun 9 2017 4:22 PM In reply to

• seaswei
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 30 2008
    • Posts 35
    • Points 410

This error happen to me, too.

Just like this, popup when playing.

• Sun, Jun 11 2017 3:21 PM In reply to

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,530

Yep that was the one. I started rendering off sections of the time line until the error returned and then would shrink the area and try rendering again until I was able to pin point a corrupted file I had. When it started to happen again a little later I disconnected all drives from computer except my raid. (I had a few projects on teh go and had 4 SUB drives hooked up at the time) Once I disconected them everything seemed to be OK again and it's been working fine since

• Mon, Jun 12 2017 2:28 PM In reply to

Are these files linked or Avid media?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 5:53 AM In reply to

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,530

The majority of mine were linked. Since I unplugged all the extra USB drives though everything has been working fine.

• Sun, Jun 18 2017 10:15 AM In reply to

• Roach13
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,530

Nope not fine. Just starteddoing again on another project except this time nothing is working

• Thu, Jul 20 2017 9:27 AM In reply to

• loki
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 17 2012
    • Posts 25
    • Points 295

I get this error message transcoding Canon 5D mk iii footage to DNxHR LB.

Funny thing is, it transcoded two clips well, all other 300 clips will give me that error.

MC 8.8.4 OSX 10.12.4 MacPro 6,1 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller