Latest post Tue, Jun 13 2017 1:49 PM by DStone. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 4 2017 5:48 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 470
    • Points 6,430

Adding page curl to title?

Hi all...I am trying to add a page curl to both the video background and a title on the track above it. The bg video curls in nicely but the title just sits there..no curl, nada. I've been doing a workaround by mixing down the title and bg to a new subclip, then using that. It's just a little more flexible if I don't have to mix the layers. ANybody have any luck with this?  Thanks!

• Mon, Jun 5 2017 1:23 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,200
    • Points 41,400
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Adding page curl to title?

You could collapse the two tracks, and then put the curl effect on that track (you may also have to use Swap in the curl settings). You can still step into the collapsed track to make edits on the background and title tracks.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Jun 5 2017 10:28 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Is this something like what you are looking for, Charles?

Regards

Douglas

If the embedded video does not show, try the link here instead

https://vimeo.com/220287270/d0c76c6695

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 5 2017 5:24 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 470
    • Points 6,430

Hi Douglas,

Yes, that is the effect, but there must be a difference between V6.5 and V7.0. When I try to add a title track over some background video, the title keys through fine, but when I try to add the page curl effect to the title track it "does not apply" and the background peels away nicely but the titles just sit there. I didn't notice in your example if you had combined the tracks or what..I could only see the page curl effect symbol, no title symbol.  Can you elaborate please?

• Mon, Jun 5 2017 5:25 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 470
    • Points 6,430

WIll give this a try....thanks!

• Mon, Jun 5 2017 10:31 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Charles,

The effect I show was done in BorisRED/AvidFX. There is no difference whether using MC 6.5 or higher.
    Do you have Boris RED/AvidFX?
    Are you trying to do the effect using it?
    The effect is being created by applying Boris RED/Avid FX to the V2 track and creating it solely in Boris RED/ AvidFX.

If you have Boris RED/Avid FX and you want to try the method I used, email me and I will give you a live walk-through.

Regards

Douglas

System 1:Edius Workgroup 8, AMC 6.5.4.5, - Windows [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 11 2017 12:50 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 387
    • Points 4,185

Douglas,

I get

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Make sure you’ve typed the URL correctly, or try searching Vimeo. You could also watch one of the videos below instead.

when clicking your link or copying it to a new page. 

HP Z400, Xeon 4-Core @3.33GHz, 24GB ECC RAM, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB 10k, other: 7200 RPM drives, Mbox Pro 3, driver... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 11 2017 1:46 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,200
    • Points 41,400

Personally I still think it's easier just to collapse the two tracks into one, and putting the page curl on that track. If you're not familiar with collapsing tracks, all it means is that you're creating a virtual track from two or more tracks.

To do this, start by putting the Collapse icon on your command bar (open the command pallete -> Other tab and drag the Collapse icon to the icon bar on the timeline (or better yet, into the tool pallete). Remember to close the command pallete when you're done.

Highlight the tracks you want to collapse (in this case your title track and background track) and select Collapse. You now have a single track instead of two. You can step into the collapsed track using the Step Into (and Step Out) icons which are the up and down triangles at the bottom of the timeline.

Now just add the Page Curl effect to the collapsed track. If you're transition from the collapsed track then select the Swap option in the Page Curl effect. Done.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Jun 11 2017 2:04 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

Mark:

Douglas,

I get

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Make sure you’ve typed the URL correctly . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks for pointing out the error that has now popped up.Previously the link was working.... quite afew people had already watched.
    Some hiccup with Vimeo perhaps.

Anyways, I have reuploaded the video and here is the new link 

https://vimeo.com/221120513/2ae40e6be3

Regards

Douglas

• Sun, Jun 11 2017 2:06 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

DStone:
    Personally I still think it's easier just to collapse the two tracks into one,

and that's the key, Dave

We all have our own ways of doing things and we can share them with others on the Forums so they can have a choice. Geeked

Regards

Douglas

• Sun, Jun 11 2017 11:21 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 470
    • Points 6,430

Hi Douglas,

Thanks so much for sharing that. Over twenty years using Avid and i never knew about "collapse". Not sure why, guess I just never stumbled across it, but I think it will come in very handy. Certainly faster than my previous method of doing it. Will this have any effect on doing a video mixdown when the show is finished? I would think not, but better to ask.  One thing I absolutely love about editing with Avid is that there are many ways "to skin the cat" and it's always fun learning a new one.

Have a great day and thanks so much for your help!

• Mon, Jun 12 2017 12:15 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,836
    • Points 85,770

bushfilm:

Hi Douglas,

Thanks so much for sharing that. Over twenty years using Avid and i never knew about "collapse".

Charles, I cannot take any credit for the "collapse" information. That was Dave that pointed to that way of skinning a cat!

My method used Avid FX/Boris RED on a single track - no collapsing needed.

Glad to hear that Dave's idea works for you

Regards

Douglas

• Tue, Jun 13 2017 1:46 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,200
    • Points 41,400

bushfilm:
    Will this have any effect on doing a video mixdown when the show is finished? I would think not, but better to ask.
    No effect at all. There's no generation loss using collapse (where there is when you mixdown and then edit the mixdown).

Dave S.

• Tue, Jun 13 2017 1:49 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,200
    • Points 41,400

drbgaijin:
    We all have our own ways of doing things and we can share them with others on the Forums so they can have a choice. Geeked
    For simple things I like to try and keep it simple, e.g. collapsing the tracks. For complex stuff I use Red (and Fusion and Blender and Photoshop and...)

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller