Latest post Tue, Jun 6 2017 4:26 PM by Dave Avid PM. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 30 2017 6:34 PM

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 712
    • Points 10,850

Article About that Media Composer "Features" Slide at NAB...

Over at Pro Video Coalition, they just put up an article about that slide shown at NAB regarding future features in Media Composer.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/avids-slide-about-the-future-of-media-composer/

Summary: They are rightly enthusiastic about this historic first-ever communication from Avid about upcoming features. They are also mostly unsure what many of the upcoming features actually are.

They are most excited about the live timeline, and they are most critical of Avid for not having blending modes years ago. They actually use the word "incompetent", which is a very accurate and fair description of Avid's total failure to include this super-basic feature for so long. Based on the timeline, the first possible appearance of blending modes in Media Composer will be in 2019. Sigh.

I was curious if they would comment on the super-confusing "April 2017" on some of the slides (since these features are clearly not here and it's May).  The author either did not notice, or did not care about the huge dating error made on the slide. 

Overall, it's a pretty good and fair look at the upcoming plan.

Media Composer 8.X (usually newest release), Avid matrix-recommended versions of both Nvidia driver and Quicktime, Matrox Mini MX02, Self-built machine... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Thu, Jun 1 2017 8:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,264
    • Points 206,140
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Article About that Media Composer "Features" Slide at NAB...

Mike

Let me ask Dave to jump on and respond....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 5 2017 8:23 AM In reply to

• gswilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 4 2010
    • Belfast, Ireland - now, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
    • Posts 286
    • Points 3,755

Marianna:

Mike

Let me ask Dave to jump on and respond....

Marianna

A whole week for a jump, must be a big one! GeekedBig Smile

Gerry

MC 2018.4, Win 10 Pro CE, Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, Nvidia GTX 980 GPU(Driver 397.31),Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 6 2017 1:07 AM In reply to

Hi There,

Marianna asked me to jump in and answer some of the questions you have.   Here are a few answers.

The Titler was supposed to be shown at NAB but we pulled it at the last minute.  It's being worked on and we will show it at IBC this year.  It is a brand new titler using some Orad graphics technology.  Live timeline is something we have been discussing for years with customers and changing it cuts at the core of how Media Composer operates; so an implementation requires architectural changes.  We have some new thinking on how we will approach this so I can share more as it evolves. The other items are on track for their delivery dates.  We are trying to move faster at the items at the top of the list like background save.  Hope this helps.

Dave

• Tue, Jun 6 2017 1:38 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 475
    • Points 6,025

Dave Avid PM:
    The other items are on track for their delivery dates.

So, enhanced colour correction by the end of this year!

Is this going to be a Symphony option enhancement or is it going to be available to all MC users?

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 6 2017 3:29 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 712
    • Points 10,850

I really, really like the open discussion of the roadmap. It's super-refreshing.  Even though many of my desired features are a long way off, just knowing that they are in the pipeline is very encouraging to me.  I give a big thumbs-up to this way of conducting business. The more information to us users, the better!!  Smile

Media Composer 8.X (usually newest release), Avid matrix-recommended versions of both Nvidia driver and Quicktime, Matrox Mini MX02, Self-built machine... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Tue, Jun 6 2017 4:25 PM In reply to

Bruno M:

Dave Avid PM:
    The other items are on track for their delivery dates.

So, enhanced colour correction by the end of this year!

Is this going to be a Symphony option enhancement or is it going to be available to all MC users?

It is likely to be in Symphony, but we are still deciding how and where it will end up as a product.

• Tue, Jun 6 2017 4:26 PM In reply to

Atomike:

I really, really like the open discussion of the roadmap. It's super-refreshing.  Even though many of my desired features are a long way off, just knowing that they are in the pipeline is very encouraging to me.  I give a big thumbs-up to this way of conducting business. The more information to us users, the better!!  Smile

Thanks, the ACA is turning out to be a great way to communicate these sort of things.  We will try to be more open as things progress.  Take care,  Dave

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller