Latest post Sun, Jun 4 2017 5:20 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 25 2017 7:00 AM

MongoDB media indexer(s) bug(s).

Help!

Ever since Avid decided the classic media indexer database needs to be replaced by a mongodb database and is now running 2 databases on a mediaindexer, we are seeing all kinds of relinking weirdness in Interplay systems when dynamic relink is enabled. With the 7.3.1 version this has now reached the point where the system is no longer workable. Wrong format errors, consistency check failures, and MC presenting AAF's with wrong SourceID's causing transcode servers and MC consoldations to crash or use the wrong media. Only the daily 01:00 at night full re-index of all workspaces by the media indexer seems to bring most issues back in line.

I have tried with support to address these issues but it's a slow process with mixed results. (The quality of support is not subject of this thread).

I'm starting to wonder if the windows system locale on the editors, which on the systems here needs to be Greek for the use of Greek titles, is playing a role. I hope some Interplay users reading this, or L3 support/engineering can join this thread.

But the whole thing starts with a piece of fuctionality inside MC I believe can't be right, while in a perfect world it shouldn't matter. If you enable dynamic relink and consolidate a sequence, you will see that the new sequence links to the new media. But if you the load the old sequence you will see that it now also links to the new media. If you disable dynamic relink this of course doesn't happen. But this even affects the original master clip that will now be segmented between the old and new clips and disabling dynamic relink does not restore the situation for that media. Closing bins and reopening and clearing bin memory sometimes affects behavior but most of the time MC needs to be restarted for some cached info to be 'forgotten'.

Can anybody confirm?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, May 29 2017 5:11 PM In reply to

Re: MongoDB media indexer(s) bug(s).

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    But the whole thing starts with a piece of fuctionality inside MC I believe can't be right, while in a perfect world it shouldn't matter. If you enable dynamic relink and consolidate a sequence, you will see that the new sequence links to the new media. But if you the load the old sequence you will see that it now also links to the new media. If you disable dynamic relink this of course doesn't happen. But this even affects the original master clip that will now be segmented between the old and new clips and disabling dynamic relink does not restore the situation for that media. Closing bins and reopening and clearing bin memory sometimes affects behavior but most of the time MC needs to be restarted for some cached info to be 'forgotten'.

This has been confirmed as 'by design'.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sun, Jun 4 2017 5:20 PM In reply to

Re: MongoDB media indexer(s) bug(s).

Hi again,

While we have further narrowed down the problem to dynamic relink it actually has to do with the way MC caches the 'link' or better 'relink' information on the local workstation.

We can produce situations where seperate systems open the same sequence or master clips and one will be able to play them fine while the other can't. On this station that can't play we at least have to clear bin memory but sometimes that is not enough.

The 'cause', although we are far from sure, seems to be MC 'corrupting' sequences with 'corrupt' locally cached link information that might or might not be transferred to interplay after a checkin, during a promote of an old WG4 sequence with dv25 OMF media or after a transcode or consolidate of any media.

That 'corrupt' sequence can cause the local relink cache on the MC station to produce all kinds of errors when trying to load or play media present in that sequence. It also might cause MC to checkin effects and these effects immedialty being reported as offline inside Access while the media indexer is aware of each indivual piece of renderred effects media. Only solution in that case is a resync in Access of that workspace sub folder.

Support has seen several of the symptoms remotely but has only been able to reproduce 1-2 issues and is having trouble reproducing several others after sending them sequences and media.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller