Latest post Thu, May 18 2017 2:02 AM by Erik. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 17 2017 10:50 PM

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 157
    • Points 1,910

Importing photoshop file with Alpha results in no image

Everyday I seem to find some new quirky problem in MC.

I'm running MC 8.8.3 on Win10. I created a number of photoshop PSDs which are just text on transparent backgrounds exported from After Effects. Something I've literally done thousands of times. I imported one and it was fine, overlayed onto my video on a second video track. I imported several more and was shocked to see just black in the source viewer for the entire clip. Thinking I'd done something wrong I double checked my import settings and re-imported the images. Same problem. They open and appear fine in Photoshop.

I closed MC and even rebooted the system and still have the same problem. If I import the image ignoring the alpha the text in the image appears. But no matter which alpha option I pick, invert or not, the image comes up blank.

To make matters even worse, the existing image that I imported correctly and overlayed onto my footage is now blank.

What the heck?

I just imported a Quicktime Animation with an alpha channel and the same result. Just a blank image.

MC 8.9.1 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 18 2017 1:00 AM In reply to

Re: Importing photoshop file with Alpha results in no image

Erik:
    They open and appear fine in Photoshop.
    Can you try exporting them from Photoshop as .png?

Have you tried linking to the .psd's rather than importing?

Can you make one of the .psd's available for testing?

• Thu, May 18 2017 1:27 AM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 157
    • Points 1,910

No alphas are shown, even from past projects in which things had already been imported and used.

I ended up switching back and forth between workspaces and it started working again. So seems to be that it was creating the alphas correctly, it just wasn't displaying them. Switching between workspaces seemed to set it back straight for the time being. Just another bizzare quirk.

MC 8.9.1 Dell Precision 7710 mobile workstation, 64GB of memory, Xeon E3-1535M v5 @2.9Ghz, Nvidia Quadro M5000m. Running Win10 64bit. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 18 2017 1:36 AM In reply to

Could be time for new User  settings...

Maybe take a look at Randall's post here and renew all settings

• Thu, May 18 2017 2:02 AM In reply to

• Erik
    • Not Ranked
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 157
    • Points 1,910

Perhaps. That seems to be Avid's achilles heel and seems to be the first troubleshooting step for Avid techs. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller