Latest post Tue, Nov 21 2017 5:39 PM by edfrat. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 17 2017 1:30 AM

AAF Closed Caption File Imports not working.

I took the plunge today and upgraded from Media Composer 8.7.x to 8.8.3 and found a rather problematic import of AAF CC Files into any Project. All AAF CC files we import are created with MacCaption and have never given us any problems in the past. After many tries I did finally get one to Import without the Media being offline but the PSA Failed QC because there is apparently no HD CEA-708 CC in the OP-1a file I exported.

Really what is going on, things seem to be getting worse with every upgrade. Here's a snap shot of the error that popped up on import.

Mac Pro - 5,1 - 2 x 3.46ghz 6 Core Xeons Sierra 10.12.6 64gb of OWC RAM GTX-980Ti Video Card Avid Nitris DX Symphony 2018.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 17 2017 1:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,204
    • Points 218,070
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: AAF Closed Caption File Imports not working.

Brent

Not getting reports of this so I am going to have support check it out.

stand by and I will create a case and get someone on it asap.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, May 17 2017 2:15 PM In reply to

There are three other systems in the building with 8.8.2 installed on them and they are all doing exactly the same thing. In some cases I get the dialogue box that asks to Continue, Abort or Exit the Application so there is definitely an issue.

A Master Clip shows up but no Media is imported. I've checked the MXF folder to confirm this.

Mac Pro - 5,1 - 2 x 3.46ghz 6 Core Xeons Sierra 10.12.6 64gb of OWC RAM GTX-980Ti Video Card Avid Nitris DX Symphony 2018.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 17 2017 4:33 PM In reply to

• DonE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 18 2009
    • California, USA
    • Posts 82
    • Points 990

There is a thread about this from April. It claims support knows about this.

Re: Caption data .aaf file not able to import in 8.8.2

1x AMC/Sy 8.2.11-Win7 Pro 64-HP z800-dual 6core-24GB-Quadro FX 4800-Nitris DX QT775 NV340.84** 3x AMC/Sy 8.2.11-Win7 Pro 64-HP xw8600-8GB-Quadro FX 3700... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 1 2017 10:18 PM In reply to

Ok, it's really time to fix this.

I went back to 8.8.1 which does import the CC but the exported files are missing the HD or CEA-708 CC and the first Caption starts about one second later than it's supposed to.

8.7.2 works properly though.

Really get your *** together.

• Wed, Aug 9 2017 11:11 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna...

I'm also on 8.8.3 and having problems importing Caption Maker Closed Caption AAF files. This function worked fine, until it appears MC 8.3.2 managed to break it.

I've been working around the issue, by using Caption Maker SCC files, but they are only CEA-608 captions, not CEA-708 captions.

I've searched all over, but have not been able to find a definite resolution to the problem, and I'm wondering if any of the more recent updates resolved the problem. I need Engineering to do an upgrade, and I don't wantto tie them up, testing the newer versions.

This was discussed in the following threads:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/180958/843205.aspx

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/180585/841599.aspx#841599

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/180804/842588.aspx

Ron Inglis

• Thu, Aug 10 2017 1:19 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,405
    • Points 41,085

I just did a successful AAF import of 709 captions using MC 8.5.3.  Op1a .mxf delivery to PBS.  Passed QC.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Aug 10 2017 2:17 AM In reply to

Do you mean 8.5.3 or 8.8.3 because there never was an issue in 8.5.3.

If you meant 8.8.3 some Broadcasters pull the CC from only the SD portion of the CC Ancillery Data and it will therefore pass QC.

I have found that commercial spots are far more likely to fail so I upgraded to 8.8.5 and haven't had a filed QC since.

• Thu, Aug 10 2017 3:34 AM In reply to

Hi Brent... Ahh yes... Typo there.

I'm on 8.8.3 and I meant to reference what you were saying about 8.8.1 & 8.8.2. It would be really nice if Avid fixed it, and it would be extra-nice if they told us.

I can import MXF OP1a files with CC.

The problem is specific to in-house created Caption Maker AAF files, which is of course what I have. I work for a broadcaster doing in-house commercial work, and our Master Control wants 708 compatible CC. They get huffy if we don't meet the spec, especially when they insist outsiders meet that very same spec.

I get pretty much the same error as you mentioned:

Import creates a data clip, but that then reads "media offline".

Caption Maker exports to about 15 CC formats, but AAF is the only one that's Avid compatible. The Caption Maker AAF files still work perfectly on another 8.7.x system we have not upgraded due to this problem. Now Avid's onto 8.9, so we are falling behind.

I'm after an oficial answer back from Avid. Our engineers are swamped, so I don't want to hijack them into an install that will not fix the problem. There was a reference in one of the update notes about them fixing a CC issue, but the wording left it unclear that it was the same problem.

Marianna said she was starting a ticket on the fault, so I'd like to get her word back on the resolutiion, because she's in a position to track the result of that ticket.

• Thu, Aug 10 2017 4:03 AM In reply to

That's got to be a real PITA.

I had issues with 8.8.3 and so I rolled back to 8.7.2. I had a ticket with Marianna and she emailed me stating that it wasn't going to be fixed till 8.8.5. I've had no issues with 8.8.5 but the AAF's that I get are from MacCaption so I can't comment on wether or not there's still an issue with Caption Makers AAF's.

Of course Avid does import SCC Files but there absolutely useless since any exports only contain the SD/608 Ancillary Data.

Really Avid SD is dead, so why the hell would they even give us the option when it's completely useless.

• Sat, Aug 12 2017 12:13 AM In reply to

For anyone who finds this by searching for AAF Captioning in the dead of night, looking for a workaround to meet a deadline, listed below is a workaround. Apparently later versions of Media Composer don’t have this issue, but this may be a lot faster than doing an upgrade in the middle of a deadline.

On Media Composer 8.3.3, (Windows version) the AAF file import of Caption Maker created CC files will not work, prompting “Some of the embedded media failed to import”. Avid broke that function in an upgrade. The Caption Maker files will work on other Avids. This workaround will likely work on MacCaption created files as well, if they have the same issue.

Basically you’re going to embed the closed captioning into an MXF file rather than AAF file. This should get you CC in both 608 & 708 formats.

1:         Use Caption Maker as usual, using a low-res playback proxy file, for timing the CC session.

2:         Export the same timeline from Avid, but this time in MXF OP1a format.

3:         In Caption Maker, prepare to export the prepared CC data, selecting “Embed Into Video” rather than “TV Caption Files”.

4:         Choose the export pre-set “(Encode CC) MXF (*.MXF)”

5:         Under Input File Name, deselect “Use File Name Specified in Video Options” and then browse to the Avid OP1a MXF file. This basically tells Caption Maker to use that as the source file, instead of using the low-res proxy file you’ve used for playback in the Caption Maker session.

6:         Use the "Output File Name" function to provide a new file name, so that the source and destination files are not the same, as that's going to cause an error.

7:         Start the export. It will run through the first bit of creating the CC data quickly, and then run a second progress bar while is embeds the data into a copy of the original OP1a file. This is noticably slower, and took about :60 for a :10 spot. I have no idea how long for a 30 minute documentary, but I suspect that will be verrrryyy long.

8:         Import that new OP1a file into Media Composer, and it should have that vital data track with 608/708 captions, along with audio and video.

9           Abandon the audio & video from the imported MXF file, as it’s going to be MXF compressed. Cut just the data track into your sequence, and you should have 608/708 compatible closed captioning on your timeline, along with all your original clips in full resolution.

Cumbersome? Yes, but it actually worked when I tested it!

Thanks to Brent Marqinet, who got me to thinking...

• Sat, Aug 12 2017 2:58 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,405
    • Points 41,085

Sorry for the confusion.  I did mean 8.5.3.  I was hoping to provide a point where it did work.  I surfed over the comment that it did work in 8.7.x.

In another thread I commented about the problems of bringing an SCC file into a 2 hour show.  The sequence was DF but the SCC acted like NDF (it was not) and timeings were totally screwed by the end of the show.  And that was in 8.5.3.

I am too worried about the render issue which is still not resolved in versions beyond 8.5.3 to upgrade at this point so we are stuck here.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Sep 29 2017 11:54 PM In reply to

Hopefully my final email on this Avid Media Composer 8.8.3 bug preventing CaptionMaker AAF file imports from working. This is on the MC Windows version. I don't think it affects the Mac version.

I found a much faster workaround to getting 608/708 closed captions out of Caption Maker and into Avid. I don't know if MacCaption has this same export option available.

1:   In CaptionMaker, use "EXPORT > TV CAPTION FILES", choose "Avid Caption Only AAF" for type of file.

2:   Set your output file name, then choose "NEXT"

3:   Tick YES on "PRESERVE INTERMEDIATE MXF FILES GENERATED DURRING THE EXPORT OPERATION".

4:   Proceed as normal, which will create both an MXF and AAF file at in the indicated folder.

5:   Link to (old style "Import" will not work) the MXF file into Avid, rather than the AAF file. That should work just fine. 608 & 708 data are both showing on my scope!

A heads-up: Archiving the sequence to AAF will work, but you cannot restore the data later in MC 8.8.3. Restoring an archived AAF from MC 8.8.3 worked, going onto a MC 8.3.x machine.

Alternatively, I gather upgrading to Media Composer 8.9 solves the closed captioning import problem, and the AAF approach should work as expected.

After testing, I've found MC 8.8.3 will not import AFF captions previously archived sequences at all. By that I mean AAF files created on MC 8.3.x will give you "failed to import" warnings, and the CC data will not arive. You will get audio & video, but not the captions. If you are trying to restore something, and don't have captions, you will have to upgrade or downgrade from MC 8.8.3.

I do wish Avid would be more transparent about bugs, and the status of trouble tickets. Their web-sites are hopeless for finding information on issues, and their approach to describing bug-fixes is one heck of an mess. When they fix something, they need to actually fully describe the problem, so you know for sure that an upgrade should make the problem go away!

• Tue, Nov 21 2017 5:39 PM In reply to

• edfrat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Pittsburgh, PA USA
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

I had this same issue in 8.8, but just upgraded to 8.9.3 and the problem no longer exists and the AAF files import just as they should. 

Interestingly, I have two other MC workstations running software OLDER than 8.8 and they imported these AAF caption files just fine.  So, Avid had this working, BROKE it in 8.8 and then FIXED it in 8.9.

Sheesh!

DS Nitris V10.5, Avid Media Composer V5.5 w/ AJA IO Express [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller