Latest post Wed, Apr 19 2017 6:35 PM by Job ter Burg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 18 2017 8:59 PM

ISIS5K and Win10?

Adding an HP z840 to my ISIS5K, via direct connect. I'm about to order the machine with Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, but wondering if I should go for Win 10. Other two machines in the setup are on Win 7 Pro x64 SP1. Any reason to either avoid Win 10? Any reason to choose Win 10 over 7?

Thx

J

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 19 2017 2:50 AM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 2,055
    • Points 25,390

Re: ISIS5K and Win10?

I recommend using the NEXIS client with the ISIS 5K. If you use Windows 7, ensure it is fully patched so the SHA2 Cert is recognized.

Windows 10 does perform better, but you won't see this with a single direct connected client.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Apr 19 2017 5:51 AM In reply to

Thanks. By "fully patched", do you mean having run all Win updates?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 19 2017 4:03 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 2,055
    • Points 25,390

Yes, I recommend running all the Windows security updates. 
    https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Principal Product Designer for Broadcast Storage & Editor Products

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Apr 19 2017 6:30 PM In reply to

Win10 has proven to be a very reliable OS until now. No updates have broken any Avid related functionality on my side.

Still win7 gives you full control over which updates you want to install and which not. Win10 simply doesn't.

So it's a matter of trust in automatic updates. I'm still amazed about Avid's new policy of supporting fully updated systems, both win 7 8.1 and 10, but after years and years of only installing the Avid certified hotfixes from ftp:interplay.avid.com or after checking with asdt, the truth is that all works fine with the latest updates installed.

So my advice would be to go for win10.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Apr 19 2017 6:35 PM In reply to

Thanks, Jeroen, I much appreciate your input.

And thank you, Bob Russo, always available for a quick response here!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller