Latest post Tue, Apr 25 2017 7:26 PM by Mark. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 16 2017 5:40 PM

• TheTrex
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 11 2017
    • The Jurassic
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

Bring Avid Project into After Effects

Hello everyone,

How would I bring a project I cut in Media Composer and bring it over to After Effects with all of the cuts I made in Avid? I know I would export it to After Effects as an AAF. What is the proper way I would export this into After Effects?

Homebuilt Avid Media Composer Workstation: Asus X-99 Pro, 32gb of GSkill DD4 Memory, i75930k 3.5ghz, Nvidia Quadro M4000, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 16 2017 9:36 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,020
    • Points 36,665

Re: Bring Avid Project into After Effects

AAF from Avid into AE CAN work, but can be a bit tricky. I always look at what I need to do in AE and build a workflow accordingly.

What are the reasons you are going into AE?  Maybe I can suggest some options.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.4.5 / 8.5.2 | OS 10.10.x / OS Yosemite - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

New Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Apr 16 2017 9:42 PM In reply to

• TheTrex
    • Not Ranked
    • The Jurassic
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

it is easier for me to work with After Effects for video's that require me to use alot of text. Than importing Alpha Matte over and over again into Avid. I am just looking into saving some time. Thanks for your help! 

Homebuilt Avid Media Composer Workstation: Asus X-99 Pro, 32gb of GSkill DD4 Memory, i75930k 3.5ghz, Nvidia Quadro M4000, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 17 2017 1:01 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,020
    • Points 36,665

TheTrex:

it is easier for me to work with After Effects for video's that require me to use alot of text. Than importing Alpha Matte over and over again into Avid. I am just looking into saving some time. Thanks for your help! 

Boy, do I get that!  

I have two methods.  If I think I will be changing things a bit in Avid or these are just still titles, I go ahead and make keyable elements.  PNG with alpha for static titles, DNx with Alpha for moving.  I am willing to spend the little extra time if I think it will save me time when the revisions start coming.

If it is more complicated, involves transfer modes, etc., I will either make a QT Reference movie at RGB levels or if the codecs in use do not allow that, I make a Mixdown at legal levels, reveal that file in my media and load it into Avid.

I only do the AAF if I need the handles or want to be able to access full media length.  Then I make sure all the media is in one, hopefully small, MXF folder.  I then tell AE's ProImport tool to only look there for media.

That is a short explanation.  Shout if you need more detail.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.4.5 / 8.5.2 | OS 10.10.x / OS Yosemite - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Apr 17 2017 6:17 AM In reply to

Hi Jef, Did you ever consider Fusion with Edit Connect for your GFX from the Avid Timeline?  Lower Thirds can operate with a text script including TC ins and outs for all of them. Spelling mistakes (that we never make) corrected in the original text script update in the timeline automatically. I never got to try DS but Fusion (for me) has the potential to leave everything else (I have tried) in the dust.

Shame that Avid, knowing they will never update TT or Marquee, went ahead and crippled the Fusion options potential by saddling it with a with a pricey hardware dongle.

• Thu, Apr 20 2017 1:29 AM In reply to

• TheTrex
    • Not Ranked
    • The Jurassic
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

I just exported my project as An AAF from Avid into After Effects. I brought the project into After Effects and I am getting the error "One or(More) layer effects not supported" in After Effects. I consolidated the audio and video when I exported from Avid. when I play the timeline in After Effects the music plays but no footage shows up. Thanks again Yes

What settings should I use in Avid when I export as an AAF. Kind of confused. 

• Sat, Apr 22 2017 12:14 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,020
    • Points 36,665

AndrewAction:

Hi Jef, Did you ever consider Fusion with Edit Connect for your GFX from the Avid Timeline?  Lower Thirds can operate with a text script including TC ins and outs for all of them. Spelling mistakes (that we never make) corrected in the original text script update in the timeline automatically. I never got to try DS but Fusion (for me) has the potential to leave everything else (I have tried) in the dust.

Shame that Avid, knowing they will never update TT or Marquee, went ahead and crippled the Fusion options potential by saddling it with a with a pricey hardware dongle.

Andrew,

I have played a bit w Fusion.  The problem is that AE really is the king of Motion Graphics with a deep user base and robust tools for text.  And that is mainly what I use it for.  Think political spot mayhem.  Fusion shines when more true compositing tasks arise.

I keep an open mind about it, but I need to have some low pressure projects to experiment.

Honestly, what play time I have has been spent with Premiere as I feel it is imperatve to be comfortable with it as more and more client are bringing projects to us in various states of disrepair in that world that they need us to rescue.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sat, Apr 22 2017 12:19 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,020
    • Points 36,665

TheTrex:

I just exported my project as An AAF from Avid into After Effects. I brought the project into After Effects and I am getting the error "One or(More) layer effects not supported" in After Effects. I consolidated the audio and video when I exported from Avid. when I play the timeline in After Effects the music plays but no footage shows up. Thanks again Yes

What settings should I use in Avid when I export as an AAF. Kind of confused. 

AE is very picky about the video codec it understands.  What codec are you working with?

As I am generally using DNx HD, AE has no trouble with it.  When I make an AAF I just select "Link To".  Then in Pro Import I make sure I set it up to only look in the Avid MediaFiles / MXF / "correct folder number here".

This helps AE find the Media.

For a simple test to get things going, make a small sequence.  Then transcode that sequence to DNx HD (whatever flavor seems right).  Now go find the newly created media.  Note the location.  Make an AAF with Link V and A.  Use Pro Import to bring into AE.

Try that.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Apr 25 2017 7:26 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 380
    • Points 4,130

AvidFX/Boris Red is an alternate option in addition to Fusion. Integrates with MC & powerful are pluses. Not free, learning curve & questions re Boris' long term commitment to it following purchases of Mocha & Sapphire are minuses. Red has been at v5 for years & webpage is buried under other products.   

HP Z400, Xeon 4-Core @3.33GHz, 24GB ECC RAM, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB 10k, other: 7200 RPM drives, Mbox Pro 3, driver... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller