Latest post Wed, Apr 19 2017 12:19 AM by Mondo. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 12 2017 9:02 AM

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 264
    • Points 3,500

share 1 gigabit connection with 2 workstations? (to connect to ISIS/Nexis)

Have anyone tried this?

And what (small) switch do you use?

It cant be often you use 100% of the bandwith....and have a room where its a bit problematic to drag new cables to.

• Wed, Apr 12 2017 9:23 AM In reply to

Re: share 1 gigabit connection with 2 workstations?

Most CAT5/6 network points are wired with 4 twisted pairs and you normally only use 2. So you can get splitters fro each end to double the capacity. better than a switch.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Apr 12 2017 11:51 AM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 264
    • Points 3,500

brilliant!

Thanks!

EDIT: are you sure here? Everywhere I read they say that gigabit is not possible to split? (uses all 4 pairs)

• Fri, Apr 14 2017 9:12 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 281
    • Points 3,550

mkj:
    Everywhere I read they say that gigabit is not possible to split? (uses all 4 pairs)

This is indeed the case. Gigabit networks are designed to use all four twisted pairs. This allows users to happily send Gigabit down Cat 5 cabling, creating four 250 Mbps channels (before encoding). Gigabit networks will work in situations where only two of the pairs are connected, but will fall-back to 100 Base-T.

In theory, it should be possible to send the same signal down two pairs of Cat 6 cabling, as the bandwidth capability doubles per pair over Cat 5, but I don't know if there's any hubs/switches that will do this.

EDIT: Just discovered there's something called 1000Base=TX which was designed to send Gigabit down just 2 pairs. From a quick Google search it seems that it hasn't really caught on in a big way, but you might find some hardware that uses this standard - probably be quite expensive!

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760W SonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DX Symphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 19 2017 12:19 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,600
    • Points 18,275

mkj:

brilliant!

Thanks!

EDIT: are you sure here? Everywhere I read they say that gigabit is not possible to split? (uses all 4 pairs)

Are you planning on using both workstations at the same time? I think it will lead to lots of issues with traffic congestion but you best bet is a small gigabit switch. Hopefully you've got one lying around you can test.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller