Latest post Tue, Apr 25 2017 1:27 PM by Gregory Pettys. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 4 2017 10:55 AM

Replace Footage

Is there a replace footage function in avid? just like in premiere and FCP?

• Tue, Apr 4 2017 11:41 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,296
    • Points 15,955

Re: Replace Footage

It's called "Relink," (and while there are many options, I personally find it less confusing than Premiere and FCP.)  You can find it in help, and there are a number of good tuitorials online.

• Tue, Apr 4 2017 3:05 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 340
    • Points 3,905

there's also "batch import"

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 11 2017 6:09 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,603
    • Points 18,330

smrpix:

It's called "Relink," (and while there are many options, I personally find it less confusing than Premiere and FCP.)  You can find it in help, and there are a number of good tuitorials online.

You'd be the only one on the planet. I *hate* the way Avid's relink works ... or should I say more often doesn't work. But then you probably haven't just had to relink 50 programs spanning the last 6 years.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Apr 11 2017 10:13 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,296
    • Points 15,955

To each his own, I guess.  About 50 programs a year here, often with wildly varying sources and it's been rock solid.

I DO like the way Premiere lets you switch between proxy and original source with a single button, though.

• Tue, Apr 18 2017 5:45 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,603
    • Points 18,330

smrpix:
    To each his own, I guess.  About 50 programs a year here, often with wildly varying sources and it's been rock solid.

Absolutely - every experience is different. I was just venting some frustration because some good suggestions I have made are just ignored.  If you take a look through the forum you'll see a good proportion of the questions posed are about problems with relink. Yes sometimes its operator error, sometimes it's bugs brought about by different AMA plug ins but if it was a simpler system, it wouldn't be so hard to fix.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Apr 19 2017 3:08 PM In reply to

Mondo.......????...i just asked a simple question......do u have to be that nasty? i was asking only HOW? There are many tutoriials on the internet but doesn't seem to work for me sometimes......in FCP and premiere is just one click and evverything relinks or justr select the clips that wants to be replaced, and then WALLA......it works differently in AVID....which you have to speciificly tick the exact checkbox in the relink options to make things work...or when u want to replace a footage wiith another one u havve to use batch import and then manually select a clip, and doesn't work for many files at onmce or automaticly search for the file........so i am asking just because ii'm a newbie.

• Thu, Apr 20 2017 12:17 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,603
    • Points 18,330

nazeemshah82:

Mondo.......????...i just asked a simple question......do u have to be that nasty? i was asking only HOW? There are many tutoriials on the internet but doesn't seem to work for me sometimes......in FCP and premiere is just one click and evverything relinks or justr select the clips that wants to be replaced, and then WALLA......it works differently in AVID....which you have to speciificly tick the exact checkbox in the relink options to make things work...or when u want to replace a footage wiith another one u havve to use batch import and then manually select a clip, and doesn't work for many files at onmce or automaticly search for the file........so i am asking just because ii'm a newbie.

Hey Nazeem -no nastiness intended - as I said my initial response was out of frustration and in response to a reply by smrpix - not you. 

I was just agreeing with you in fact that Premiere and FCP make it easier by having a less obtuse system. If I can help with a specific issue I will.. but in general the reason Avid fails to relink can be difficult to track down. I'm sorry if you thought I was being nasty.

John

• Sat, Apr 22 2017 3:31 PM In reply to

no worries.....

there are some offline cliips that i can't relinnk and i found out that the directory in the Aviidmedia files had number plus letters (eg: 123music) so ii just renamed it and it relinked.... ok wyhat should i do, if suddenly there are clips that i want to replace and there are many off them? i'll give you an example of the situation:

-i edited  one sequnce of a film and there are clips from the VFX department as temps.....
    -overtime, there are changes for VFX clips and they all have the same name so i don't have to recut them back to the timeline.....the plan is having the same names and just reliink them....
    -how do you doi thiis iin avid when i can't relink although it has the same name?

• Sun, Apr 23 2017 5:26 PM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,603
    • Points 18,330

There are two methods. One would be to link and then "hide" the original clips and link to the new ones. (Exit Avid, move the original clips to an archive directory, relaunch Avid and link the new clips) If they have the same name, same timecode, same length and are basically identical to the original this should work. However I have had problems in the past with alpha channelled graphics. I find a more foolproof method is to use traditional import and then batch re-import the new clips. 

John

• Tue, Apr 25 2017 1:27 PM In reply to

I HAVE MOVED THIS QUESTION TO ANOTHER THREAD THANKS Here is my situation that I would like advice on. I have a 1080/30 project on the c drive. I have 2 4gb esata drives and 191GB of media on one of those drives with that project. That drive is starting to die and before it completely does I need to move the 191GB of media to the other drive and link it to the project. How would I do that?

Thanks

Greg

HP Z800- 2 Xeon Quad Core Processors 2.93 GHZ,24 GB Ram, 2 X 1TB 7.2 RPM sata internal drives, Windows 7, sp1, 64-bit Avid MC 7.0.2 - Matrox Mini-02,NVidia... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller