Latest post Sun, Mar 19 2017 10:41 AM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 19 2017 6:03 AM

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • KTOWN LOS ANGELES
    • Posts 236
    • Points 3,240

Faster transcoding like ffmpeg

My CPU has 4 cores and 8 threads.

If I transcode tons of files using ffmpeg, it will run 8 instances of the program and transcode 8 files at a time.

so its transcoding 8 videos at a time and each thread is nearly at 100%

it would be great if media composer transcoded 8 (or more) videos at a time.

it just seems to hardly use a computers potential when it comes to transcoding.

maybe it's easier to do this in the background queue than the foreground.

Thx

DIY intel 7820x, asus x299-e mainboard, Quadchan 64gb ram, win10 home 64bit creators, 1080ti, Blackmagic Intensity 4k. The latest Media Composer. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 19 2017 10:41 AM In reply to

Re: Faster transcoding like ffmpeg

The main killer is quicktime. This &%%&# piece of pre historic media player and framework, made by the company that once defined professional computing but now, very logically, is more interested in selling phones and tablets and some very good notebooks, has been the achilles heel of media composer for at least 10 years more then it should have.

Other transcoding engines used for DNxHD and for example XDCAM-HD also do not max out but do perform better.

Luckely Avid has announced it is facing out quicktime but if and when a complete replacement will see the light of day is unknown.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller