Latest post Wed, Mar 22 2017 7:42 AM by Supermandan1. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 18 2017 3:04 PM

VR editing and new career ?

Hi,

This is a career question.  I'm kinda self-taught on Avid MC (this forum, you guys are fantastic, plus lynda.com tutorials, etc.), and being mid-40s I am not expecting to start a standard editing career anywhere anytime soon.  That said, VR editing seems to be on the horizon, has caught my imagination - and maybe I can make it here?  Can anyone give starter tips ?

For instance... what is the market like for work, programming, gaming, etc.?  Are there 'official' training places to go to in London ?  How does Avid MC 8.5 and above deal with this challenge ?  What does Premier Pro have to offer ?  Anything else I might need to consider ?

Thank you,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 20 2017 7:56 PM In reply to

Re: VR editing and new career ?

Hi, can anyone offer some good career advice here ?

Thank you,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 21 2017 1:31 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 2,974
    • Points 38,540
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

VR is still relatively new and pretty much geared to the gaming community. You'd be much better off looking in that direction. Personally I can't see VR taking off big time in the movie industry; can you imagine a film where the denouement is taking place in one direction, but people are too busy looking somewhere else? Or how about showing the pivotal clue in the murder mystery only to have the viewers missing it because they were too busy looking around the rest of the landscape?

There will certainly be a niche market for VR, e.g. directed participation. Think theme park rides (and if you get a chance, stand in the long line for the Kong ride at Universal Studios; it's worth the wait.) Theater in the round also comes to mind.

Good luck.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Mar 22 2017 7:42 AM In reply to

Hi Dave,

As always, thank you for getting back.

I agree with you on the film side.  Yet on the gaming side, etc., would you have any advice and tips on how and where to go about looking to build a career ?  Also, specifically regarding Avid, can the work flows be handled solely in MC ?  Are there suitable plug-ins to consider ?  Anything else I might consider ?

DC

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller