Latest post Wed, Apr 5 2017 8:17 AM by Supermandan1. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 18 2017 3:04 PM

VR editing and new career ?

Hi,

This is a career question.  I'm kinda self-taught on Avid MC (this forum, you guys are fantastic, plus lynda.com tutorials, etc.), and being mid-40s I am not expecting to start a standard editing career anywhere anytime soon.  That said, VR editing seems to be on the horizon, has caught my imagination - and maybe I can make it here?  Can anyone give starter tips ?

For instance... what is the market like for work, programming, gaming, etc.?  Are there 'official' training places to go to in London ?  How does Avid MC 8.5 and above deal with this challenge ?  What does Premier Pro have to offer ?  Anything else I might need to consider ?

Thank you,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 20 2017 7:56 PM In reply to

Re: VR editing and new career ?

Hi, can anyone offer some good career advice here ?

Thank you,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 21 2017 1:31 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,021
    • Points 39,180
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

VR is still relatively new and pretty much geared to the gaming community. You'd be much better off looking in that direction. Personally I can't see VR taking off big time in the movie industry; can you imagine a film where the denouement is taking place in one direction, but people are too busy looking somewhere else? Or how about showing the pivotal clue in the murder mystery only to have the viewers missing it because they were too busy looking around the rest of the landscape?

There will certainly be a niche market for VR, e.g. directed participation. Think theme park rides (and if you get a chance, stand in the long line for the Kong ride at Universal Studios; it's worth the wait.) Theater in the round also comes to mind.

Good luck.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.7, MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Mar 22 2017 7:42 AM In reply to

Hi Dave,

As always, thank you for getting back.

I agree with you on the film side.  Yet on the gaming side, etc., would you have any advice and tips on how and where to go about looking to build a career ?  Also, specifically regarding Avid, can the work flows be handled solely in MC ?  Are there suitable plug-ins to consider ?  Anything else I might consider ?

DC

• Sat, Mar 25 2017 10:29 AM In reply to

Hi Dave, just wondered if there is anything further you can add ?  DC

• Sat, Mar 25 2017 1:41 PM In reply to

I asked Michael Philips about this topic recently. His response: 

The editing side of the process is really no different than other video. What is different is creating the media in the first place (stitching), fixing problems, etc. Once in place, then basic rules of editing still apply – where and when to cut based on assumed focus (object in frame). Don’t dismiss audio as a tool to drive direction so also check into immersive audio. 

As mentioned, traditional storytelling as we know it will be a challenge and a new type of story will emerge that is more like a game. But straight 360 video on its own does not allow the same type of interaction as a game does which means you should start looking into Unreal and similar tools to start creating those types of game experiences. 360 video is what we see a lot of on YouTube etc. VR is actually where the user can drive the experience, and then the more interesting of them is AR and MR (mixed reality) which gets into large data world with geo-based metadata and CGI creation. 

Here is a good 35 minute primer on the topic from ex-Avid Lucas Wilson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8cqmRCjhFY

I would also check all the video tutorials for Mettle plug-ins on different tools to fix or refine 360 video footage: http://www.mettle.com/skybox-360vr-tools-premiere-pro-tutorials/

And the one VR plug-in for Media Composer is from Mocha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoogqhR4AjU

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 25 2017 7:58 PM In reply to

Thank you.  I will take a good loo at all this early next week, and maybe there are some more questions to add ?  Again, thank you.

• Fri, Mar 31 2017 7:04 AM In reply to

Hi,

I am beginning to thoroughly investigate this, and I could ask a ton of questions here.  Though for now, are you aware of any UK-based Avid training courses relating to VR ?  Also, would you know of any Pro-Tools courses specifically geared to VR ?

Thank you,

DC

• Mon, Apr 3 2017 9:16 PM In reply to

Hi,

I am looking into this and come across stitching software Autopano, looks good.  When the stitching is complete do you have to render out to an mp4 before bringing into Avid ?  What I mean is, when exporting from Avid there is the option of a QT Ref file, and providing your drives are still online you can drop this QT Ref file into Squeeze and output a workable, compressed file for Youtube, etc.; so instead of rendering out from Autopana and thus possibly incur some data loss when bringing into MC this data-heavy file, can you simply export out frm Autopano an "information file" which this you can bring into MC ?

Also, the tutorials available on Youtube all seem to discuss Premier Pro as the go-to editor.  Is Avid behind in anyway when it comes to VR ?

DC

• Wed, Apr 5 2017 8:17 AM In reply to

Hi, anyone have an answer to the above ?  Also, does Avid have any plans for Augmented Reality ?  Generally, what are the ideas, thoughts and visions content producers have moving forward into the AR realm ?

DC

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller